Turn off computer ?

When I leave my XPpro-SP2 PC unused for a while the screen saver kicks in as
expected. However, when I re-activate it by moving the mouse, I get the
Windows turn off machine box.

Can anyone tell me why?

Nick
2 answers Last reply
More about turn computer

    I would wonder about a bug in your screensaver. If you're running a
    third-party screensaver, there might be a bug in it. I've had problems with
    them before, although not the specific problem you describe. Have you scanned
    for viruses lately using an updated pattern file? You might also look in your
    Power settings in Display Properties (rightclick the Desktop, select
    Properties, select Screen Saver tab, click Power button). See if your power
    settings are set weirdly (e.g., for a laptop when it's a desktop, or
    something along those lines).

    That's what I would look for. I hope it helps. Good luck.

    Jo

    "NikkJ" wrote:

    > When I leave my XPpro-SP2 PC unused for a while the screen saver kicks in as
    > expected. However, when I re-activate it by moving the mouse, I get the
    > Windows turn off machine box.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why?
    >
    > Nick

    I'm running the standard Windows XP screensaver but I think you've solved
    the problem. Somehow I seem to have ticked the "ask for password" option on
    the screensaver.
    Thanks
    Nick

    "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would wonder about a bug in your screensaver. If you're running a
    > third-party screensaver, there might be a bug in it. I've had problems
    > with
    > them before, although not the specific problem you describe. Have you
    > scanned
    > for viruses lately using an updated pattern file? You might also look in
    > your
    > Power settings in Display Properties (rightclick the Desktop, select
    > Properties, select Screen Saver tab, click Power button). See if your
    > power
    > settings are set weirdly (e.g., for a laptop when it's a desktop, or
    > something along those lines).
    >
    > That's what I would look for. I hope it helps. Good luck.
    >
    > Jo
    >
    > "NikkJ" wrote:
    >

    >> When I leave my XPpro-SP2 PC unused for a while the screen saver kicks in
    >> as
    >> expected. However, when I re-activate it by moving the mouse, I get the
    >> Windows turn off machine box.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me why?
    >>
    >> Nick

Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP