Jo

I had problems with my computer a few days ago, and in the process of
diagnosing the problem, I wound up somehow corrupting Windows. I have
resolved the original problem, but when I boot up it tells me there is
another opsys but the "name" is gibberish. Also, two Notepad screens spring
up when I boot up, apparently showing the contents for two ".ShellClassInfo"
files. (I tell ya, it's been one weird weekend... Why do these things always
happen on a weekend?? LOL)

I think the easiest way to resolve this is probably just to reinstall
Windows, but I don't want to risk losing my data files in the process. I'd
rather avoid a system-wide backup, if possible. I have my data files on a
separate partition (D:) on the same hard drive as Windows and my program
files (which are on C:). My tech guy (who originally installed XP-Pro, and
partitioned the HD using a program I don't have) can't be reached (of
course), so I guess I will have to do this on my own. I have the original
Windows disk, but not the partitioning software.

Can I just tell the Windows disk to reinstall over top of the old
installation? Or will it insist on reformatting first? How big a risk is it
that I might lose data files on D:? Or C:? I'm thinking of stuff like my
Outlook data that is on C: drive. All the software can be reinstalled, if
need be, but I don't want to lose the data files.

Thanks very much for any help about this!

Jo

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boot from the XP CD and opt to do a repair install; then select the previous
installation you want to repair. The problem could be in identifying which
is the 'correct' previous version.