sysedit says C:autoexec.bat cannot open this file

Hi!
After having problems with my pc and needing to replace a missing
autoexec.nt file i was STILL having odd error messages, so i checked the
sysedit file and when i opened it it came up with an error message that
sysedit C:AUTOEXEC.BAT cannot open file. I checked my C: drive and C:WINDOWS
and lo and behold autoexec.bat is missing, i also checked my system and
system32 folder and then the repair folder to see if that had a copy, but i
can't find it. I'm aware XP is not dos based, but it is obviously needed
sometimes and certainly when usinf sysedit, so the question is how do i
replace autoexec.bat ??????? and i do mean bat not nt as i've posted this
query before and was told i meant nt, well i don't i need to replace the bat.
Thanks :-)
LIZ
2 answers Last reply
More about sysedit autoexec open file

    In news:AE59CF55-B8A0-4668-99B2-C7CBF7DFBED0@microsoft.com,
    Lizzybeth1 <Lizzybeth1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi!
    > After having problems with my pc and needing to replace a missing
    > autoexec.nt file i was STILL having odd error messages, so i checked
    > the sysedit file and when i opened it it came up with an error
    > message that sysedit C:AUTOEXEC.BAT cannot open file. I checked my C:
    > drive and C:WINDOWS and lo and behold autoexec.bat is missing, i also
    > checked my system and system32 folder and then the repair folder to
    > see if that had a copy, but i can't find it. I'm aware XP is not dos
    > based, but it is obviously needed sometimes and certainly when usinf
    > sysedit, so the question is how do i replace autoexec.bat ??????? and
    > i do mean bat not nt as i've posted this query before and was told i
    > meant nt, well i don't i need to replace the bat. Thanks :-)
    > LIZ

    Liz,

    On my computer that I'm using at this moment autoexec.bat is just a plain
    empty zero byte file. I don't get any errors with this like this and have no
    idea why it doesn't actually contain anything. I can't say that I've ever
    looked there before but I suppose you could make a notepad document and put
    it there and name it autoexec.bat if you wanted. You'd have to be sure to
    show file names for known file types in your view options with Windows
    Explorer else it's likely to actually be named autexec.bat.txt when you're
    done and I don't see that as being beneficial at all to either of us. Better
    yet... When are you getting these errors? Is there something you're trying
    to do but can't do because you want DOS? Don't try to use DOS on XP? That's
    really the best advice... Nope... Instead use an emulator that's better
    designed than the inate editor with XP. Here's a link and the learning curve
    is not that difficult.

    DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    I replaced it from a backup i was lucky enough to find! Now when i open
    sysedit i do not get that error message. Thank You anyway.
    LIZ

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:AE59CF55-B8A0-4668-99B2-C7CBF7DFBED0@microsoft.com,
    > Lizzybeth1 <Lizzybeth1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > Hi!
    > > After having problems with my pc and needing to replace a missing
    > > autoexec.nt file i was STILL having odd error messages, so i checked
    > > the sysedit file and when i opened it it came up with an error
    > > message that sysedit C:AUTOEXEC.BAT cannot open file. I checked my C:
    > > drive and C:WINDOWS and lo and behold autoexec.bat is missing, i also
    > > checked my system and system32 folder and then the repair folder to
    > > see if that had a copy, but i can't find it. I'm aware XP is not dos
    > > based, but it is obviously needed sometimes and certainly when usinf
    > > sysedit, so the question is how do i replace autoexec.bat ??????? and
    > > i do mean bat not nt as i've posted this query before and was told i
    > > meant nt, well i don't i need to replace the bat. Thanks :-)
    > > LIZ
    >
    > Liz,
    >
    > On my computer that I'm using at this moment autoexec.bat is just a plain
    > empty zero byte file. I don't get any errors with this like this and have no
    > idea why it doesn't actually contain anything. I can't say that I've ever
    > looked there before but I suppose you could make a notepad document and put
    > it there and name it autoexec.bat if you wanted. You'd have to be sure to
    > show file names for known file types in your view options with Windows
    > Explorer else it's likely to actually be named autexec.bat.txt when you're
    > done and I don't see that as being beneficial at all to either of us. Better
    > yet... When are you getting these errors? Is there something you're trying
    > to do but can't do because you want DOS? Don't try to use DOS on XP? That's
    > really the best advice... Nope... Instead use an emulator that's better
    > designed than the inate editor with XP. Here's a link and the learning curve
    > is not that difficult.
    >
    > DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Windows XP