sysedit says C:autoexec.bat cannot open this file

Hi!
After having problems with my pc and needing to replace a missing
autoexec.nt file i was STILL having odd error messages, so i checked the
sysedit file and when i opened it it came up with an error message that
sysedit C:AUTOEXEC.BAT cannot open file. I checked my C: drive and C:WINDOWS
and lo and behold autoexec.bat is missing, i also checked my system and
system32 folder and then the repair folder to see if that had a copy, but i
can't find it. I'm aware XP is not dos based, but it is obviously needed
sometimes and certainly when usinf sysedit, so the question is how do i
replace autoexec.bat ??????? and i do mean bat not nt as i've posted this
query before and was told i meant nt, well i don't i need to replace the bat.
Thanks :)
LIZ

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:AE59CF55-B8A0-4668-99B2-C7CBF7DFBED0@microsoft.com,
Lizzybeth1 <Lizzybeth1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi!
> After having problems with my pc and needing to replace a missing
> autoexec.nt file i was STILL having odd error messages, so i checked
> the sysedit file and when i opened it it came up with an error
> message that sysedit C:AUTOEXEC.BAT cannot open file. I checked my C:
> drive and C:WINDOWS and lo and behold autoexec.bat is missing, i also
> checked my system and system32 folder and then the repair folder to
> see if that had a copy, but i can't find it. I'm aware XP is not dos
> based, but it is obviously needed sometimes and certainly when usinf
> sysedit, so the question is how do i replace autoexec.bat ??????? and
> i do mean bat not nt as i've posted this query before and was told i
> meant nt, well i don't i need to replace the bat. Thanks :)
> LIZ

Liz,

On my computer that I'm using at this moment autoexec.bat is just a plain
empty zero byte file. I don't get any errors with this like this and have no
idea why it doesn't actually contain anything. I can't say that I've ever
looked there before but I suppose you could make a notepad document and put
it there and name it autoexec.bat if you wanted. You'd have to be sure to
show file names for known file types in your view options with Windows
Explorer else it's likely to actually be named autexec.bat.txt when you're
done and I don't see that as being beneficial at all to either of us. Better
yet... When are you getting these errors? Is there something you're trying
to do but can't do because you want DOS? Don't try to use DOS on XP? That's
really the best advice... Nope... Instead use an emulator that's better
designed than the inate editor with XP. Here's a link and the learning curve
is not that difficult.

DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

I replaced it from a backup i was lucky enough to find! Now when i open
sysedit i do not get that error message. Thank You anyway.
LIZ