can ping URL from ICS workstation but cannot browse

I have a USB satelite ADSL ( ISDN out and Sat receiver) connection. When it
was first coonected the network ICS client was able to browse but then
something happened and (noone knows what ) the client cannot browse any more.
Can ping any URL but that is it. Have uninstalled and reinstalled ICS several
times, reset winsock using "netsh", have reinstalled satelite connection,
tried bridging NIC with USB connection ( lost network completely ), the
client sees satelite connection and when browser first starts up says found
site waiting for reply then "times out and "server not found" - going a
little bit nuts

I've got the exact problem with a sat system. I have a working ICS host and
one client that works. Then I tried to hookup 3 other clients and they all
exibit the same problem you describe. Funny thing is that I can reach
www.google.com and reach all of google's pages. I can ping any site I want.

I've tried everything I can get my hands on to get this to work. Even a
crossover to one client but no luck.

Frustrated...

"Ev" wrote:

> I have a USB satelite ADSL ( ISDN out and Sat receiver) connection. When it
> was first coonected the network ICS client was able to browse but then
> something happened and (noone knows what ) the client cannot browse any more.
> Can ping any URL but that is it. Have uninstalled and reinstalled ICS several
> times, reset winsock using "netsh", have reinstalled satelite connection,
> tried bridging NIC with USB connection ( lost network completely ), the
> client sees satelite connection and when browser first starts up says found
> site waiting for reply then "times out and "server not found" - going a
> little bit nuts

See if some of this information will help you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461 It is about
setting up network sharing with a satellite connection via Internet
Connection Sharing. If it doesn't help, I'd suggest posting to the
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web where general networking issues are
covered. This newsgroup supports Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware
and software.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"txfwx" <txfwx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got the exact problem with a sat system. I have a working ICS host
> and
> one client that works. Then I tried to hookup 3 other clients and they
> all
> exibit the same problem you describe. Funny thing is that I can reach
> www.google.com and reach all of google's pages. I can ping any site I
> want.
>
> I've tried everything I can get my hands on to get this to work. Even a
> crossover to one client but no luck.
>
> Frustrated...
>
> "Ev" wrote:
>
>> I have a USB satelite ADSL ( ISDN out and Sat receiver) connection. When
>> it
>> was first coonected the network ICS client was able to browse but then
>> something happened and (noone knows what ) the client cannot browse any
>> more.
>> Can ping any URL but that is it. Have uninstalled and reinstalled ICS
>> several
>> times, reset winsock using "netsh", have reinstalled satelite connection,
>> tried bridging NIC with USB connection ( lost network completely ), the
>> client sees satelite connection and when browser first starts up says
>> found
>> site waiting for reply then "times out and "server not found" - going a
>> little bit nuts

EV,
Try,
http://www.allensmith.net/Windows/ICS/xpICS.htm
which references this
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319661

I set the mtu on my problem client to 1272 and it worked. I have xp sp2 on
this machine so I don't know why this would continue to be a problem.

a little less frustrated...

"Ev" wrote:

> I have a USB satelite ADSL ( ISDN out and Sat receiver) connection. When it
> was first coonected the network ICS client was able to browse but then
> something happened and (noone knows what ) the client cannot browse any more.
> Can ping any URL but that is it. Have uninstalled and reinstalled ICS several
> times, reset winsock using "netsh", have reinstalled satelite connection,
> tried bridging NIC with USB connection ( lost network completely ), the
> client sees satelite connection and when browser first starts up says found
> site waiting for reply then "times out and "server not found" - going a
> little bit nuts

Chris,
This did not help. I replied again to Ev with a solution that worked for me.

thx,

todd

"Chris H." wrote:

> See if some of this information will help you:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461 It is about
> setting up network sharing with a satellite connection via Internet
> Connection Sharing. If it doesn't help, I'd suggest posting to the
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web where general networking issues are
> covered. This newsgroup supports Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware
> and software.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "txfwx" <txfwx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've got the exact problem with a sat system. I have a working ICS host
> > and
> > one client that works. Then I tried to hookup 3 other clients and they
> > all
> > exibit the same problem you describe. Funny thing is that I can reach
> > www.google.com and reach all of google's pages. I can ping any site I
> > want.
> >
> > I've tried everything I can get my hands on to get this to work. Even a
> > crossover to one client but no luck.
> >
> > Frustrated...
> >
> > "Ev" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a USB satelite ADSL ( ISDN out and Sat receiver) connection. When
> >> it
> >> was first coonected the network ICS client was able to browse but then
> >> something happened and (noone knows what ) the client cannot browse any
> >> more.
> >> Can ping any URL but that is it. Have uninstalled and reinstalled ICS
> >> several
> >> times, reset winsock using "netsh", have reinstalled satelite connection,
> >> tried bridging NIC with USB connection ( lost network completely ), the
> >> client sees satelite connection and when browser first starts up says
> >> found
> >> site waiting for reply then "times out and "server not found" - going a
> >> little bit nuts

Good deal, Todd. Hopefully it'll work.