DiskDrive error

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 running WinXP with all update patches
installed. It has performed flawlessly.

A few days ago I purchased and installed (I followed the correct
procedures including deactivating my AVG software) a HP psc 1355 USB
printer/scanner. During installation I get the following exact
message "Windows could not load the installer for DiskDrive. Contact
your hardware vendor for assistance." I've tried reinstalling several
times but the same error message pops up.

Every time I turn the printer on, Windows detects its presence afresh,
brings up the error message, and when I cancel it then offers to
search the internet for the appropriate software (which it cannot
find). If I close or cancel all these messages I then find that the
printer and scanner work perfectly, so these error messages are more
of an annoyance than anything else.

I have contacted HP who say it is a Windows problem; I have contacted
Dell who first asked me to run their extended hardware tests (all of
which passed) and then had no further ideas to offer.

I've searched high and low on the internet for an explanation of this
error or how to handle it without finding anything meaningful.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Barry.

Solution: Either turn on the printer before the PC or live with it. What
makes XP robust, as unlike Win9x, it loads only the drivers for hardware it
detects at boottime, this way, only what is needed is loaded.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Barry Guyer" <guess_who@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 4550 running WinXP with all update patches
> installed. It has performed flawlessly.
>
> A few days ago I purchased and installed (I followed the correct
> procedures including deactivating my AVG software) a HP psc 1355 USB
> printer/scanner. During installation I get the following exact
> message "Windows could not load the installer for DiskDrive. Contact
> your hardware vendor for assistance." I've tried reinstalling several
> times but the same error message pops up.
>
> Every time I turn the printer on, Windows detects its presence afresh,
> brings up the error message, and when I cancel it then offers to
> search the internet for the appropriate software (which it cannot
> find). If I close or cancel all these messages I then find that the
> printer and scanner work perfectly, so these error messages are more
> of an annoyance than anything else.
>
> I have contacted HP who say it is a Windows problem; I have contacted
> Dell who first asked me to run their extended hardware tests (all of
> which passed) and then had no further ideas to offer.
>
> I've searched high and low on the internet for an explanation of this
> error or how to handle it without finding anything meaningful.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Barry.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:02:40 -0400, "Star Fleet Admiral Q"
<Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Solution: Either turn on the printer before the PC or live with it. What
>makes XP robust, as unlike Win9x, it loads only the drivers for hardware it
>detects at boottime, this way, only what is needed is loaded.

Perhaps I should have mentioned - same thing happens whether printer
or computer is switched on first.

I'll live with it ....