Anyone have problems installing software after SP2 install?

April 25, 2005 9:06:57 PM

After upgrading to SP2 on an previous SP1 install (OEM), I have had trouble
installing some software, one being Visual Studio.net 2003. I don't have
the error handy, but has anyone else experienced trouble installing programs
from a Setup.exe or install.exe type set up file? I've even had a self
extracting zip file fail to run.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Rick
April 25, 2005 9:06:58 PM

In news:Rs9be.1133803$6l.221657@pd7tw2no,
RWC <rcollens_SPAMONATOR_@hemmingway.com> had this to say:

> After upgrading to SP2 on an previous SP1 install (OEM), I have had
> trouble installing some software, one being Visual Studio.net 2003. I
> don't have the error handy, but has anyone else experienced trouble
> installing programs from a Setup.exe or install.exe type set up file?
> I've even had a self extracting zip file fail to run.
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Thanks!
> Rick

That's odd because I just recently installed Visual C++ on an SP2 system. No
errors with that nor with any other installation that I can think of and
I've been using SP2 for a while. Are you 99.9% certain your system is
malware free? Could the Windows Installer have gone dorky on you?

Give this a shot?

Start
Run
Type "cmd" without the quotes
Pound Enter key
Type "msiexec.exe /unregister" without the quotes
Smash the Enter key
Then reverse the changes...
Type "msiexec.exe /regserver" still without the quotes
Jump up and down on the Enter key

Try the installation again?

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:06:58 PM

I am having the same problem I have tried several software titles. The error
I recieve is (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose
'Close' to terminate the application. I just tried what 'Galen; suggested
and it did not work. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Chris

"RWC" wrote:

> After upgrading to SP2 on an previous SP1 install (OEM), I have had trouble
> installing some software, one being Visual Studio.net 2003. I don't have
> the error handy, but has anyone else experienced trouble installing programs
> from a Setup.exe or install.exe type set up file? I've even had a self
> extracting zip file fail to run.
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Thanks!
> Rick

April 25, 2005 10:31:56 PM

Try this..
Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to
C:\Windows\System32.
And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only

--
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they
foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

"Chris Douglas" <ChrisDouglas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0A839AFD-C4F8-4792-86A9-E1489E7DE39A@microsoft.com...

!