Anyone have problems installing software after SP2 install?

After upgrading to SP2 on an previous SP1 install (OEM), I have had trouble
installing some software, one being Visual Studio.net 2003. I don't have
the error handy, but has anyone else experienced trouble installing programs
from a Setup.exe or install.exe type set up file? I've even had a self
extracting zip file fail to run.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Rick
3 answers Last reply
More about anyone problems installing software install

    In news:Rs9be.1133803$6l.221657@pd7tw2no,
    RWC <rcollens_SPAMONATOR_@hemmingway.com> had this to say:

    > After upgrading to SP2 on an previous SP1 install (OEM), I have had
    > trouble installing some software, one being Visual Studio.net 2003. I
    > don't have the error handy, but has anyone else experienced trouble
    > installing programs from a Setup.exe or install.exe type set up file?
    > I've even had a self extracting zip file fail to run.
    >
    > Any help would be great.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Rick

    That's odd because I just recently installed Visual C++ on an SP2 system. No
    errors with that nor with any other installation that I can think of and
    I've been using SP2 for a while. Are you 99.9% certain your system is
    malware free? Could the Windows Installer have gone dorky on you?

    Give this a shot?

    Start
    Run
    Type "cmd" without the quotes
    Pound Enter key
    Type "msiexec.exe /unregister" without the quotes
    Smash the Enter key
    Then reverse the changes...
    Type "msiexec.exe /regserver" still without the quotes
    Jump up and down on the Enter key

    Try the installation again?

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    I am having the same problem I have tried several software titles. The error
    I recieve is (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
    suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose
    'Close' to terminate the application. I just tried what 'Galen; suggested
    and it did not work. Does anyone have a solution?

    Thanks
    Chris

    "RWC" wrote:

    > After upgrading to SP2 on an previous SP1 install (OEM), I have had trouble
    > installing some software, one being Visual Studio.net 2003. I don't have
    > the error handy, but has anyone else experienced trouble installing programs
    > from a Setup.exe or install.exe type set up file? I've even had a self
    > extracting zip file fail to run.
    >
    > Any help would be great.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Rick

    Try this..
    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to
    C:\Windows\System32.
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only

    --
    The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they
    foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

    "Chris Douglas" <ChrisDouglas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:0A839AFD-C4F8-4792-86A9-E1489E7DE39A@microsoft.com...
    |I am having the same problem I have tried several software titles.
    The error
    | I recieve is (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is
    not
    | suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
    Choose
    | 'Close' to terminate the application. I just tried what 'Galen;
    suggested
    | and it did not work. Does anyone have a solution?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Chris
    |
    | "RWC" wrote:
    |
    | > After upgrading to SP2 on an previous SP1 install (OEM), I have
    had trouble
    | > installing some software, one being Visual Studio.net 2003. I
    don't have
    | > the error handy, but has anyone else experienced trouble
    installing programs
    | > from a Setup.exe or install.exe type set up file? I've even had a
    self
    | > extracting zip file fail to run.
    | >
    | > Any help would be great.
    | >
    | > Thanks!