Unreal Engine 3

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml" target="_new">Unreal Engine 3 - technology preview</A>

Some screenshot looks great and impressive, others are a bit disapointing, what's your opinion about that engine?

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

Fallen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Not all of these screens are designed to be visually impressive. The technology behind what you see is the trick. I think that the Unreal Engine 3 will be just that Unreal. Now if we can just get it in a timely fashion...

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well all I can say is at least it is better that what is out now.

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2420mhz 11x220 1.7v
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro to XT(420/730)

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
It's just mind-boggling. Absolutely sick. Just look at the amount of displacement-mapping that's going on- this engine is definitely a whole generation ahead of what we'll see in this year's titles...

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Dunno about anyone else, but the engine looks perfect for Diablo3. The dark gothic-like ruins (and those magnificant statues), along with the gloomy looking grass plains, just looks so Diablo-esque.

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Will not mind if taken advantage of.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I think one interesting thing to note is the "64-bit color High Dynamic Range rendering pipeline." So I guess the move from 32 to 64 bit FP color will happen sooner than we thought... sooner than I thought anyways (or maybe not, who knows when this will come out). It actually seems unnecessary to me, but who knows.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
wow one of those pics looks like a toy model, not something rendered !

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
HE HE HE!!! This would be grate to have an Action-RPG besed on this kind of 3D engine. Diablo III would benefit of this technology.

But the probably choose the Gothic because Gothic architecture use lots of details, curves, textures and "movement".

--

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I agree with you that 64 bit color depth might be more than enough for human the human eye. But it will probably gives better quality than 32 bit, because like in audio the human ear can only hear between 20Hz and 20000Hz sound but frewuancy outside this range affect the frequency we hear. It's often referred as harmonics in music/sound.

It's why they push the new 24bit/96KHz standard in audio reproduction. It might be the same in the visual spctral range. We might see the difference between two close shade of red at 64 bit precision, but this might make a red to white pattern more natural or vibrant.

--

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
A harmonic is any multiple of another frequency, and does not necessarily refer to frequencies outside of the 20hz-20khz range. Ex. 2000hz is a harmonic of 1000hz.

But you are absolutely right about the high fidelity audio situation. You really can tell the difference when the range is extended, even though we can't really detect those frequencies individually.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Good precision about the harmonics. I didn'tpush my explanation a lot and you completed it well!

--