Looking for an Ultrabook

Hey all,

I am leaving on August 1st to go abroad for the semester, and I need a laptop before I go. Unfortunately, I am coming at a rather bad time, as Windows 8 and the touchscreen laptops will be coming out sometime soon after I leave. *Sigh* If I could, I would get the Surface Pro, but as it is that is not an option.

So, as far as ultrabooks go, what should I be looking at? Are there any touchscreens coming out that I could get before I go abroad? (The main reason I want a touchscreen is because I've used Windows 8, and I know exactly how geared around touchscreens it is.) If not, what else?

I'm not looking to pay $1,500. I know the Zenbook Primes are very nice, but that's a lot of cash. I'm not looking for a gaming laptop, (I have a desktop for that,) just something small and light with a long battery life and decent performance (thus ultrabooks). Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
4 answers Last reply
More about looking ultrabook
  1. Ultrabooks usually have 'sufficient performance' rather than 'decent performance.
    Most have ultra low power (ULV) CPUs. Like the Core i5-3317U 1.7 GHz CPU in the basic Zenbook Prime.

Which you can get for $1,130 @ Amazon - UX31A-DB51 model
    Core i5-3317U 1.7 GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 13.3" 1920x1080 LCD w/ HD 4000 Graphics.
  2. Spending less for about the same performance / size but without the 1920x1080 LCD:
    SONY VAIO SVT13114GXS 13" Notebook $850
    Intel Core i5 3317U 1.70GHz CPU, 4GB Memory 500GB HDD + 32GB SDD, 13.3" 1366x768 LCD w/ HD Graphics 4000
  3. I'm planning to order a Sony Vaio T after the 4th. Ordering direct from Sony you can get a free PS3 to sweeten the deal (the deal applies to other models as well, worth checking out). One of the nicer Ivy Bridge base ultrabooks I've seen with decent pricing.

I'm looking at an i5 with 4GB (it has an empty ram slot to add more) and a 500GB hybrid, i think it was 780$. You can upgrade the i5 to an i7 for 150$, I'm still kinda on the fence whether or not to do that though...

I'd definately recommend going for the IvyBridge (Intel 3rd Gen) no matter what brand you go with as these are more power efficient and more graphically capable. Unfortunately, these are relatively new, so it's harder to find reviews on them.
  4. HP Trinity Thin: $600

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD: $90 before $10 rebate

Vantec NexStar External HDD Enclosure: $11
    (probably save a few bucks at Wally World)

Upgrade to a 25w Trinity quad for $100 if you feel the need.

Spend the rest of your cash on beer and girls [:lutfij:4]
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Product