well yesterday while i was using my pc...suddenly the desktop wallpaper
changes to some blue coloured notice...it says something about my system is
infected by virus,spyware and trojans.I also realised that my when i right
click my desktop/display properties,
it shows only 2 tabs(screen saver and settings) all the other tabs is no
more.
i've scanned my system with norton antivirus and found some viruses and
cleaned them,but the the problem wasn't solve.I also noticed that my system
restore feature is also not working.I'm using win XP professional. pls help
out.

Thnx
Neeraj

"Neeraj" <neeraj_gar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> well yesterday while i was using my pc...suddenly the desktop
> wallpaper changes to some blue coloured notice...it says something
> about my system is infected by virus,spyware and trojans.I also
> realised that my when i right click my desktop/display properties,
> it shows only 2 tabs(screen saver and settings) all the other tabs is
> no more.
> i've scanned my system with norton antivirus and found some viruses
> and cleaned them,but the the problem wasn't solve.I also noticed that
> my system restore feature is also not working.I'm using win XP
> professional. pls help out.
>
> Thnx
> Neeraj

Clean your system free of spyware, like Galen suggested then go to the
Registry and change the following values. .
To start the registry, Start>Run and type

regedit

Then navigate to the following keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
In the right-hand pane, locate "NoThemesTab" and change the value to 0.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
Objects\{7C937913-43A3-40C7-B9D1-C36DED94F}-User
In the right-hand pane, locate "NoThemesTab" and change the value to 0.

--
William

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:erXu2zbSFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Neeraj <neeraj_gar@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> well yesterday while i was using my pc...suddenly the desktop
> wallpaper changes to some blue coloured notice...it says something
> about my system is infected by virus,spyware and trojans.I also
> realised that my when i right click my desktop/display properties,
> it shows only 2 tabs(screen saver and settings) all the other tabs is
> no more.
> i've scanned my system with norton antivirus and found some viruses
> and cleaned them,but the the problem wasn't solve.I also noticed that
> my system restore feature is also not working.I'm using win XP
> professional. pls help out.
>
> Thnx
> Neeraj

Norton lied. You're not clean. Update your definitions and scan/delete the
found malware in safe mode. It also might not be virus, you'll want to look
for spyware too. Below's a bunch of gibberish that should get you started in
the right direction. It's not quick. It's not easy. It will, however,
work...

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

Before cleaning download this:

LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
and you can't connect to the internet.

From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
be enabled to update and scan automatically.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes