desktop,themes tabs Missing

well yesterday while i was using my pc...suddenly the desktop wallpaper
changes to some blue coloured notice...it says something about my system is
infected by virus,spyware and trojans.I also realised that my when i right
click my desktop/display properties,
it shows only 2 tabs(screen saver and settings) all the other tabs is no
more.
i've scanned my system with norton antivirus and found some viruses and
cleaned them,but the the problem wasn't solve.I also noticed that my system
restore feature is also not working.I'm using win XP professional. pls help
out.

Thnx
Neeraj
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop themes tabs missing

    In news:erXu2zbSFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Neeraj <neeraj_gar@yahoo.com> had this to say:

    > well yesterday while i was using my pc...suddenly the desktop
    > wallpaper changes to some blue coloured notice...it says something
    > about my system is infected by virus,spyware and trojans.I also
    > realised that my when i right click my desktop/display properties,
    > it shows only 2 tabs(screen saver and settings) all the other tabs is
    > no more.
    > i've scanned my system with norton antivirus and found some viruses
    > and cleaned them,but the the problem wasn't solve.I also noticed that
    > my system restore feature is also not working.I'm using win XP
    > professional. pls help out.
    >
    > Thnx
    > Neeraj

    Norton lied. You're not clean. Update your definitions and scan/delete the
    found malware in safe mode. It also might not be virus, you'll want to look
    for spyware too. Below's a bunch of gibberish that should get you started in
    the right direction. It's not quick. It's not easy. It will, however,
    work...

    Virus:
    www.grisoft.com - AVG
    www.antivir.com - AntiVir
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

    Spyware:
    www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
    http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

    Trojan:
    www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
    http://swatit.org/ Swat It

    Before cleaning download this:

    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
    and you can't connect to the internet.

    From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
    download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
    category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
    definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
    select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
    regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
    but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
    problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
    be enabled to update and scan automatically.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    "Neeraj" <neeraj_gar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > well yesterday while i was using my pc...suddenly the desktop
    > wallpaper changes to some blue coloured notice...it says something
    > about my system is infected by virus,spyware and trojans.I also
    > realised that my when i right click my desktop/display properties,
    > it shows only 2 tabs(screen saver and settings) all the other tabs is
    > no more.
    > i've scanned my system with norton antivirus and found some viruses
    > and cleaned them,but the the problem wasn't solve.I also noticed that
    > my system restore feature is also not working.I'm using win XP
    > professional. pls help out.
    >
    > Thnx
    > Neeraj

    Clean your system free of spyware, like Galen suggested then go to the
    Registry and change the following values. .
    To start the registry, Start>Run and type

    regedit

    Then navigate to the following keys:

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    In the right-hand pane, locate "NoThemesTab" and change the value to 0.

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    Objects\{7C937913-43A3-40C7-B9D1-C36DED94F}-User
    In the right-hand pane, locate "NoThemesTab" and change the value to 0.

    --
    William

Desktops Windows XP