Having a problem with Word 2000 (lost normal.dot) and tried to uninstall
Office 2000 professional to sort it. Now getting a message "the feature you
are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" This means
that I cannot install or uninstall anything ! Seems the item required
should be in a folder 'sr1patch' in my local temp area - not there !!
This is a stand alone PC - no network.
Anyone help ?

bar

Try runninng the Add Remove Programs from control panel.

Select Microsoft Office and click on the CHANGE button.

You can choose to repair the installation.

ALso, it would appear that at some time in the past you have run a service
pack update from the web. OK in itself, but then you deleted the files for
the service pack, which is partly responsible for some opf your problems.

"Compound" wrote:

> Having a problem with Word 2000 (lost normal.dot) and tried to uninstall
> Office 2000 professional to sort it. Now getting a message "the feature you
> are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" This means
> that I cannot install or uninstall anything ! Seems the item required
> should be in a folder 'sr1patch' in my local temp area - not there !!
> This is a stand alone PC - no network.
> Anyone help ?

Try going to run,type:services.msc In msc,scroll down to windows installer,
double click,in the new properties window,scroll from manual position to auto
start installer,then start the service,close out.

"Compound" wrote:

> Having a problem with Word 2000 (lost normal.dot) and tried to uninstall
> Office 2000 professional to sort it. Now getting a message "the feature you
> are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" This means
> that I cannot install or uninstall anything ! Seems the item required
> should be in a folder 'sr1patch' in my local temp area - not there !!
> This is a stand alone PC - no network.
> Anyone help ?

Fitz

Do you have the original installation disks?

"Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Having a problem with Word 2000 (lost normal.dot) and tried to uninstall
> Office 2000 professional to sort it. Now getting a message "the feature
> you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" This
> means that I cannot install or uninstall anything ! Seems the item
> required should be in a folder 'sr1patch' in my local temp area - not
> there !!
> This is a stand alone PC - no network.
> Anyone help ?

Thanks for the swift reply, Fitz
Yes I have original XP Pro CD, but when I tried to use it I got a message
'my copy is newer than that on the CD (it is - SP2 !) so it won't run.
"Fitz" <linc007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have the original installation disks?
>
> "Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Having a problem with Word 2000 (lost normal.dot) and tried to uninstall
>> Office 2000 professional to sort it. Now getting a message "the feature
>> you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" This
>> means that I cannot install or uninstall anything ! Seems the item
>> required should be in a folder 'sr1patch' in my local temp area - not
>> there !!
>> This is a stand alone PC - no network.
>> Anyone help ?

Fitz

I was speaking of the Office installation disks.

> Thanks for the swift reply, Fitz
> Yes I have original XP Pro CD, but when I tried to use it I got a message
> 'my copy is newer than that on the CD (it is - SP2 !) so it won't run.
> "Fitz" <linc007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Do you have the original installation disks?
>>
>> "Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Having a problem with Word 2000 (lost normal.dot) and tried to uninstall
>>> Office 2000 professional to sort it. Now getting a message "the feature
>>> you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"
>>> This means that I cannot install or uninstall anything ! Seems the
>>> item required should be in a folder 'sr1patch' in my local temp area -
>>> not there !!
>>> This is a stand alone PC - no network.
>>> Anyone help ?

Not the XP Pro disk, the Word 2000 or Office Disk.

Tom
"Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
| Thanks for the swift reply, Fitz
| Yes I have original XP Pro CD, but when I tried to use it I got a message
| 'my copy is newer than that on the CD (it is - SP2 !) so it won't run.
| "Fitz" <linc007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > Do you have the original installation disks?
| >
| > "Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
| >> Having a problem with Word 2000 (lost normal.dot) and tried to
uninstall
| >> Office 2000 professional to sort it. Now getting a message "the
feature
| >> you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"
This
| >> means that I cannot install or uninstall anything ! Seems the item
| >> required should be in a folder 'sr1patch' in my local temp area - not
| >> there !!
| >> This is a stand alone PC - no network.
| >> Anyone help ?

Sri - yes I also have original Office2000Pro disks - but since XP installer
is broke, I can't use them - I get this message about an unavailable feature
in sr1patch......
>I was speaking of the Office installation disks.
>

> "Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the swift reply, Fitz
>> Yes I have original XP Pro CD, but when I tried to use it I got a message
>> 'my copy is newer than that on the CD (it is - SP2 !) so it won't run.
>> "Fitz" <linc007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Do you have the original installation disks?
>>>
>>> "Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Fitz

The Office disks are what the program is asking for...not the XP disks. Try
again using the Office installation disks and see if that solves the
problem. Let us know.

> Sri - yes I also have original Office2000Pro disks - but since XP
> installer is broke, I can't use them - I get this message about an
> unavailable feature in sr1patch......
> "Fitz" <linc007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I was speaking of the Office installation disks.
>>

>> "Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the swift reply, Fitz
>>> Yes I have original XP Pro CD, but when I tried to use it I got a
>>> message 'my copy is newer than that on the CD (it is - SP2 !) so it
>>> won't run.
>>> "Fitz" <linc007@hotmail.com> wrote in message

When I try to run the Office 2000 Pro disk, I get this message 'the feature
you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable
Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing
the installation package {C406FA02-1B0A-11D4-AED6-0DCD4F022C53}' - the
suggested location for this file is 'C:\Docs\Bob\Locals\Temp\sr1patch' -
guess what - it's not there......So I can't either uninstall or check
installation using the Office disks !!
In case you're wondering, I have an up to date Norton Internet Security, so
hope a nasty bug hasn't got in.
Lastly - a few days ago I installed Symantic WinFax Pro 10.0, which is
allegedly compatible with XP. But even rolling back to well before this
installation doesn't produce a cure !!! ???
"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Not the XP Pro disk, the Word 2000 or Office Disk.
>
> Tom
> "Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> | Thanks for the swift reply, Fitz
> | Yes I have original XP Pro CD, but when I tried to use it I got a
> message
> | 'my copy is newer than that on the CD (it is - SP2 !) so it won't run.
> | "Fitz" <linc007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | > Do you have the original installation disks?
> | >
> | > "Compound" <Robert@rn-brown.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> uninstall
> feature
> This

Didn't work I'm afraid. 'The feature you ...etc...unavailable.
> Try runninng the Add Remove Programs from control panel.
>
> Select Microsoft Office and click on the CHANGE button.
>
> You can choose to repair the installation.
>
> ALso, it would appear that at some time in the past you have run a service
> pack update from the web. OK in itself, but then you deleted the files
> for
> the service pack, which is partly responsible for some opf your problems.
>
> "Compound" wrote:
>
>> Having a problem with Word 2000 (lost normal.dot) and tried to uninstall
>> Office 2000 professional to sort it. Now getting a message "the feature
>> you
>> are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" This
>> means
>> that I cannot install or uninstall anything ! Seems the item required
>> should be in a folder 'sr1patch' in my local temp area - not there !!
>> This is a stand alone PC - no network.
>> Anyone help ?

TRied that. Managed to set Installer to auto, but when I try to either
change or uninstall using Add/remove programs I still get the message about
the feature being unavailable, and can't alter anything. Seems that this
'sr1patch' is the villain. Even tried a fresh download of this sr1a from MS
site, but when I tried to install, it said I already have this update !!