Defrag Trouble

I'm trying to help a lady - several hundred miles away - who is trying to
defrag her XP system and she's having trouble. She is able to do a disk
cleanup ok but when she clicks on defrag and it begins, it only runs a few
seconds and she gets an error.

The error window is as follows:
+++++++++++++++
Title: Defragmenter
A "Big round black ball with a white X in the middle of it" appears at the
left.
Message: "The scan has been cancelled because an error occured in file
C:/windows/windowsupdate.log."
+++++++++++++++

I'm a W98SE user and I don't know ANYTHING about XP.
Can you tell me what to tell her to overcome this problem?

TIA
Doug McNeill - Dallas
8 answers Last reply
More about defrag trouble

    Tell her to boot into Safe Mode and try defrag from there.

    "Doug Mc" <NOSPAMdougandnancymcneill@chilitech.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to help a lady - several hundred miles away - who is trying to
    > defrag her XP system and she's having trouble. She is able to do a disk
    > cleanup ok but when she clicks on defrag and it begins, it only runs a few
    > seconds and she gets an error.
    >
    > The error window is as follows:
    > +++++++++++++++
    > Title: Defragmenter
    > A "Big round black ball with a white X in the middle of it" appears at the
    > left.
    > Message: "The scan has been cancelled because an error occured in file
    > C:/windows/windowsupdate.log."
    > +++++++++++++++
    >
    > I'm a W98SE user and I don't know ANYTHING about XP.
    > Can you tell me what to tell her to overcome this problem?
    >
    > TIA
    > Doug McNeill - Dallas

    I tried to get her into Safe Mode but what she described was not what I see
    as Safe Mode on W98.
    She did tap F8 as it came up and got the choices. Said she had three
    choices for Safe Mode. Is that true?
    If so, should she choose "another" safe mode??

    Thanks for your help.

    > Tell her to boot into Safe Mode and try defrag from there.
    >
    > "Doug Mc" <NOSPAMdougandnancymcneill@chilitech.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to help a lady - several hundred miles away - who is trying
    > > defrag her XP system and she's having trouble. She is able to do a disk
    > > cleanup ok but when she clicks on defrag and it begins, it only runs a
    few
    > > seconds and she gets an error.
    > >
    > > The error window is as follows:
    > > +++++++++++++++
    > > Title: Defragmenter
    > > A "Big round black ball with a white X in the middle of it" appears at
    the
    > > left.
    > > Message: "The scan has been cancelled because an error occured in file
    > > C:/windows/windowsupdate.log."
    > > +++++++++++++++
    > >
    > > I'm a W98SE user and I don't know ANYTHING about XP.
    > > Can you tell me what to tell her to overcome this problem?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Doug McNeill - Dallas

    She says she has all these choices:
    Choices are :
    safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt
    Enable boot logging
    enable VGA Mode
    Last Know good configeration(your most recent settings that worked)
    Directory Services Restore Mode
    (windows Controllers only)
    Debugging mode
    disable auto restart on system failure
    start windows normanally
    reboot
    return to o5 choices menue

    Would any of this other stuff help?

    > I tried to get her into Safe Mode but what she described was not what I
    see
    > as Safe Mode on W98.
    > She did tap F8 as it came up and got the choices. Said she had three
    > choices for Safe Mode. Is that true?
    > If so, should she choose "another" safe mode??
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Hint: Best to pass this lady off to someone who "knows" WinXP, as someone
    as yourself that has no XP experience and with no access to an XP machine to
    review and make logical decisions, will almost certainly cause more damage
    than good, even to the point a complete reinstall would be in order. WinXP
    is not Win9x, a totally different animal. I'm not degrading your ability,
    but without a reference point, it is hard to assist you assisting someone
    else who has an OS you are not familiar with.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    > She says she has all these choices:
    > Choices are :
    > safe mode
    > safe mode with networking
    > safe mode with command prompt
    > Enable boot logging
    > enable VGA Mode
    > Last Know good configeration(your most recent settings that worked)
    > Directory Services Restore Mode
    > (windows Controllers only)
    > Debugging mode
    > disable auto restart on system failure
    > start windows normanally
    > reboot
    > return to o5 choices menue
    >
    > Would any of this other stuff help?
    >

    >> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    >
    > "Doug Mc" <NOSPAMdougandnancymcneill@chilitech.com> wrote in message
    >> I tried to get her into Safe Mode but what she described was not what I
    > see
    >> as Safe Mode on W98.
    >> She did tap F8 as it came up and got the choices. Said she had three
    >> choices for Safe Mode. Is that true?
    >> If so, should she choose "another" safe mode??
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.

    Could be. But I'm not completely at a loss. I've dealt with computers for
    quite awhile and, if I can get some hints from other folks who know a system
    I can learn pretty fast.
    That's why I think I'm qualified to ask for assistance and pass it along.

    And, if I knew someone to "pass this lady off to" I would certainly do it.
    But I don't.
    So, give me some help to help her!

    Doug

    "Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com>
    wrote in message news:uO1YjmfSFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hint: Best to pass this lady off to someone who "knows" WinXP, as someone
    > as yourself that has no XP experience and with no access to an XP machine
    > review and make logical decisions, will almost certainly cause more damage
    > than good, even to the point a complete reinstall would be in order.
    WinXP
    > is not Win9x, a totally different animal. I'm not degrading your ability,
    > but without a reference point, it is hard to assist you assisting someone
    > else who has an OS you are not familiar with.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
    >
    > http://www.google.com
    > Google is your "Friend"
    >
    > "Doug Mc" <NOSPAMdougandnancymcneill@chilitech.com> wrote in message
    > > She says she has all these choices:
    > > Choices are :
    > > safe mode
    > > safe mode with networking
    > > safe mode with command prompt
    > > Enable boot logging
    > > enable VGA Mode
    > > Last Know good configeration(your most recent settings that worked)
    > > Directory Services Restore Mode
    > > (windows Controllers only)
    > > Debugging mode
    > > disable auto restart on system failure
    > > start windows normanally
    > > reboot
    > > return to o5 choices menue
    > >
    > > Would any of this other stuff help?
    > >

    > >> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Doug Mc" <NOSPAMdougandnancymcneill@chilitech.com> wrote in message
    > >> I tried to get her into Safe Mode but what she described was not what I
    > > see
    > >> as Safe Mode on W98.
    > >> She did tap F8 as it came up and got the choices. Said she had three
    > >> choices for Safe Mode. Is that true?
    > >> If so, should she choose "another" safe mode??
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your help.

    start button run line cmd (to open a dos like window)
    cd \ then maybe suggest chkdsk before doing booting to
    Safe and running defrag from a cmd window

    C:\>chkdsk /?
    Checks a disk and displays a status report.
    CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/C] [/L[:size]]

    volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
    mount point, or volume name.
    filename FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to check for
    fragmentation
    ..
    /F Fixes errors on the disk.
    /V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every
    file
    on the disk.
    On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
    /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
    (implies /F).
    /L:size NTFS only: Changes the log file size to the specified
    number
    of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current
    size.
    /X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
    All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid
    (implies /F).
    /I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index
    entries.
    /C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder
    structure.

    <<<<<<---------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>

    C:\>defrag /?
    Usage:
    defrag <volume> [-a] [-f] [-v] [-?]
    volume drive letter or mount point (d: or d:\vol\mountpoint)
    -a Analyze only
    -f Force defragmentation even if free space is low
    -v Verbose output
    -? Display this help text

    C:\Documents and Settings\mike>

    Thanks BumTracks,
    This will probably help us.
    Doug

    > Thanks BumTracks,
    > This will probably help us.
    > Doug

    I'd recommend a 3rd party defragger such as PerfectDisk 7. It'll auto
    defrag, smart place files, and even defrag the pagefile and MBR - which the
    in built defragger won't.

    Been using it for a few months now, and the results are great.

Defragment Windows XP