decrypt help...

Tags:
  • Windows XP
April 25, 2005 8:52:09 PM

sorry if this has been asked (repeatedly?), but running into a problem
decrypting some files and i'm seeking help.

the details: i'm running xp pro 32-bit edition on a compaq athlon64. i
installed the customer preview version of xp pro 64bit, but in doing so, i
changed my user name and deleted the old user-name account. the problem, of
course, is that i had encrypted some files with that old user account. i've
created a recovery agent since, and have located (i think) the old
certificate and key in the recycler folder. i've tried importing the
certificate (with the system telling me it has imported it, and showing it
as available to the user-named account i had deleted). but i still can't
access the files.

the question: how do i use the "old" certificate and key combo to
unlock/decrypt the files, since i've already deleted the old user account? i
had thought i could just import the cert/key into my current admin-privilege
account and, voila, open the files. no such luck. i still get the "access
denied" error message.

thanks for any help, and, again, sorry if this has been posted to death.

kevin

More about : decrypt

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:29:23 PM

No, you have it backwards. You create the recovery agent "before" you have
problems working with encrypted files - not after you experience trouble.
And loading/reloading an operating system will likely cause problems. I am
afraid that those files are no longer viable or usable. There is NO backdoor
to the files.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"kevin" <kohoran@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o MePlidSFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> sorry if this has been asked (repeatedly?), but running into a problem
> decrypting some files and i'm seeking help.
>
> the details: i'm running xp pro 32-bit edition on a compaq athlon64. i
> installed the customer preview version of xp pro 64bit, but in doing so, i
> changed my user name and deleted the old user-name account. the problem,
> of course, is that i had encrypted some files with that old user account.
> i've created a recovery agent since, and have located (i think) the old
> certificate and key in the recycler folder. i've tried importing the
> certificate (with the system telling me it has imported it, and showing it
> as available to the user-named account i had deleted). but i still can't
> access the files.
>
> the question: how do i use the "old" certificate and key combo to
> unlock/decrypt the files, since i've already deleted the old user account?
> i had thought i could just import the cert/key into my current
> admin-privilege account and, voila, open the files. no such luck. i still
> get the "access denied" error message.
>
> thanks for any help, and, again, sorry if this has been posted to death.
>
> kevin

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:48:19 PM

richard:

i've been told (and read) that i did this backwards, and if i could go back
and do it over, i would. but i've also been told (and read) that as long as
i have access to the certificate/key, then i still have the ability to
decrypt the files. i thought i had deleted the certificate/key combo
completely, but, as noted, was able to recover it from the recycler folder
and import it to my current user account. what i'm trying to find now is
how -- if at all -- to use that certificate/key combo to open the files.
that is, knowing the user-account name under which that cert/key was used to
encrypt the files, can i recreate that account, import the cert/key and then
open the files? or, can i somehow add my current user-account to the list of
people with access to that cert/key?

in other words, i'm trying to figure out the steps to decrypting files when
the cert/key combo has been saved but the user account scrapped. it would
seem, from what i've read, that i should be able to decrypt the files as
long as i still have access to the cert/key combo, which i do.

thanks,
kevin

aka "cranky" (hey, i've got a teething toddler at home who just learned to
say "no". what can i say?)

> No, you have it backwards. You create the recovery agent "before" you have
> problems working with encrypted files - not after you experience trouble.
> And loading/reloading an operating system will likely cause problems. I am
> afraid that those files are no longer viable or usable. There is NO
> backdoor to the files.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "kevin" <kohoran@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:o MePlidSFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> sorry if this has been asked (repeatedly?), but running into a problem
>> decrypting some files and i'm seeking help.
>>
>> the details: i'm running xp pro 32-bit edition on a compaq athlon64. i
>> installed the customer preview version of xp pro 64bit, but in doing so,
>> i changed my user name and deleted the old user-name account. the
>> problem, of course, is that i had encrypted some files with that old user
>> account. i've created a recovery agent since, and have located (i think)
>> the old certificate and key in the recycler folder. i've tried importing
>> the certificate (with the system telling me it has imported it, and
>> showing it as available to the user-named account i had deleted). but i
>> still can't access the files.
>>
>> the question: how do i use the "old" certificate and key combo to
>> unlock/decrypt the files, since i've already deleted the old user
>> account? i had thought i could just import the cert/key into my current
>> admin-privilege account and, voila, open the files. no such luck. i still
>> get the "access denied" error message.
>>
>> thanks for any help, and, again, sorry if this has been posted to death.
>>
>> kevin

April 25, 2005 11:48:41 PM

In news:o iERBFfSFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
kevin <kohoran@sc.rr.com> did some thinking and came up with these words:
> [...]
>>> but in doing so, i changed my user name and deleted the old
>>> user-name account. the problem, of course, is that i had encrypted
>>> some files with that old user account. i've created a recovery
>>> agent since, and have located (i think) the old certificate and key
>>> in the recycler folder. i've tried importing the certificate (with
>>> the system telling me it has imported it, and showing it as
>>> available to the user-named account i had deleted). but i still
>>> can't access the files. the question: how do i use the "old" certificate
>>> and key combo to
>>> unlock/decrypt the files, since i've already deleted the old user
>>> account? i had thought i could just import the cert/key into my
>>> current admin-privilege account and, voila, open the files. no such
>>> luck. i still get the "access denied" error message.
>>>
>>> thanks for any help, and, again, sorry if this has been posted to

The 'cert' ties in with user and system as well as the files. It is such a
slippery slope that most stay as far away from encryption as possible. From
the sounds of it - you have been given the opportunity to learn this the
hard way. Do you perhaps have a good system backup/image where you can
restore the previous version and regain control of your files?

--
Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
Associate Expert

If you've imported the cert key and it is still not working, then evidently
it is the incorrect cert key, as the method works provided the correct cert
key is used. Your issue may lie in that the OS was changed from 32-bit to
64-bit on the files in which are encrypted and on the cert key itself.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"