8400 certificate of authenticity?

Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
"authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
the service tag.

Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
would I find that?

--David
13 answers Last reply
More about 8400 certificate authenticity

    Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
    occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
    sent.

    You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.

    Tom
    <David Ellis> wrote in message
    > Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
    > computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
    > of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
    > "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
    > the service tag.
    >
    > Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
    > would I find that?
    >
    > --David

    If the drive has been formatted, can I boot from the Dell CD and get
    XP istalled without having a product key?
    --David

    >Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
    >occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
    >sent.
    >
    >You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
    >
    >Tom
    ><David Ellis> wrote in message
    >> Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
    >> computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
    >> of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
    >> "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
    >> the service tag.
    >>
    >> Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
    >> would I find that?
    >>
    >> --David

    yes.

    > If the drive has been formatted, can I boot from the Dell CD and get
    > XP istalled without having a product key?
    > --David
    >
    >>Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
    >>occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
    >>sent.
    >>
    >>You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >><David Ellis> wrote in message
    >>> Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
    >>> computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
    >>> of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
    >>> "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
    >>> the service tag.
    >>>
    >>> Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
    >>> would I find that?
    >>>
    >>> --David

    Doesn't matter if the drive is formatted. You can partition and format it
    during the install.

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:04:46 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
    >occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
    >sent.
    >
    >You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
    >
    >Tom
    ><David Ellis> wrote in message
    >> Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
    >> computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
    >> of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
    >> "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
    >> the service tag.
    >>
    >> Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
    >> would I find that?
    >>
    >> --David

    Did you open the door in front at the bottom where the USB ports are?
    Sometimes they hide them there.

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:42:36 GMT, tellme <whois@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:04:46 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
    >>occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
    >>sent.
    >>
    >>You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >><David Ellis> wrote in message
    >>> Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
    >>> computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
    >>> of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
    >>> "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
    >>> the service tag.
    >>>
    >>> Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
    >>> would I find that?
    >>>
    >>> --David
    >>
    >Did you open the door in front at the bottom where the USB ports are?
    >Sometimes they hide them there.

    Good point. Next time I'm crawling around on the floor attempting to
    use the inaccessible phone jack and USB ports, I'll have a look. :=)

    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:42:36 GMT, tellme <whois@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:04:46 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
    >>>occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got
    >>>one
    >>>sent.
    >>>
    >>>You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
    >>>
    >>>Tom
    >>><David Ellis> wrote in message

    >>Did you open the door in front at the bottom where the USB ports are?
    >>Sometimes they hide them there.
    >
    > Good point. Next time I'm crawling around on the floor attempting to
    > use the inaccessible phone jack and USB ports, I'll have a look. :=)

    It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
    front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.

    Stew

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
    >front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.

    That's where mine is, as well. Under the front I/O door is the Service Tag #
    and the Express Service code #.
    --
    <<<SgtRich>>>
    Desktop: Dimension 8400

    "SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
    >>front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.
    >>
    > That's where mine is, as well. Under the front I/O door is the Service Tag
    > #
    > and the Express Service code #.
    > --
    > <<<SgtRich>>>
    > Desktop: Dimension 8400
    > Notebook: Dimension 8600
    > Both running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

    That's the same on my 4500 as well.

    Stew

    > "SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis"
    >> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing
    >>>the
    >>>front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.
    >>>
    >> That's where mine is, as well. Under the front I/O door is the Service
    >> Tag #
    >> and the Express Service code #.
    >> --
    >> <<<SgtRich>>>
    >> Desktop: Dimension 8400
    >> Notebook: Dimension 8600
    >> Both running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    >

    > That's the same on my 4500 as well.
    >

    > Stew

    But we're not looking for the service tag. We're looking for the XP COA.

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

    >"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >>> That's where mine is, as well. Under the front I/O door is the Service
    >>> Tag #
    >>> and the Express Service code #.

    >> That's the same on my 4500 as well.

    >But we're not looking for the service tag. We're looking for the XP COA.

    Did you get confused a bit, Tom? That's what Stew was pointing
    out when he wrote:

    "It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while
    facing the front of the machine) on the lower rear left side
    cover."

    Sgt Rich then agreed with: "That's where mine is, as well.",
    before going on to say that: "Under the front I/O door is the
    Service and the Express Service code #."

    At least that is how I read it.

    I was mildly fussed when I found they moved the COA and Service
    Tag #/Express Service Code # labels from the left side of the
    case [on my L733r] to the back [on my D4400]. Now you guys are
    telling me that they're *really* hiding them.

    That's it. No more Dells for me. I can live with the long
    holds, offshore support, confusing pricing schemes; but there's a
    limit to things up with which I will put. Dell has gone beyond
    the pale with this nefarious scheme to hide the COA and ST/ESC
    labels.

    [;-> for the chain pull challenged]
    --
    OJ III

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    ><David Ellis> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:42:36 GMT, tellme <whois@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>>Did you open the door in front at the bottom where the USB ports are?
    >>>Sometimes they hide them there.
    >>
    >> Good point. Next time I'm crawling around on the floor attempting to
    >> use the inaccessible phone jack and USB ports, I'll have a look. :=)
    >

    >It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
    >front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.
    >

    >Stew

    On one of mine recently they hid it under the door where the USB port
    is.

    "tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >

    >><David Ellis> wrote in message

    >>> Good point. Next time I'm crawling around on the floor attempting to
    >>> use the inaccessible phone jack and USB ports, I'll have a look. :=)
    >>

    >>It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
    >>front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.
    >>

    >>Stew
    >
    > On one of mine recently they hid it under the door where the USB port
    > is.

    I've not seen a Dell with a COA anywhere but on the side panel (other than
    some SFF Opti's where they are on the top).

    I've only seen system service tags and express codes on stickers under the
    front I/O door.

    Stew

Dell Computer Certificate Computers