I've got a Qbert board that's giving me problems. It seems like at least
one switch input is shorted. I've checked all the resisitors for the switch
inputs. (R1-R16, lower right corner of the main board). I've checked the
little caps next to the resistors too. A couple of them measure differently
than the others. Would the caps going "Bad" cause the switches to be
shorted on? How close do I have to be on value and type when I replace
them? Or is there an IC somewhere upstream thats suspect?

Thanks,
Matt

It is unlikely that the caps are causing this problem, and the variance in
the resistors is normal and not critical (unless there is a wild variance)

The following chips handle switch input:

B11 - 1 player & 2 player start buttons, coin switches, sercive switch, test
switch
B14 - joystick

If it is not your service or test switch you can go to test screen 6 and see
if any of the other inputs appear closed. If one appears stuck, you can
check the input/output pins of the 74LS240 that corresponds with that
switch. The input pins - 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15 & 17 - should all be high
without any closed switches (remember your service switch may be on :) . The
output pins - 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16 & 18 - should all be low without any
closed switches. If you are reading any thing other than that, chances are
that the 240 is bad.

-roy-

"Matt Hoy" <hoy@psys.org> wrote in message
> I've got a Qbert board that's giving me problems. It seems like at least
> one switch input is shorted. I've checked all the resisitors for the
> switch
> inputs. (R1-R16, lower right corner of the main board). I've checked the
> little caps next to the resistors too. A couple of them measure
> differently
> than the others. Would the caps going "Bad" cause the switches to be
> shorted on? How close do I have to be on value and type when I replace
> them? Or is there an IC somewhere upstream thats suspect?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Just to clarify, if the input is low without a switch closure you probably
have a wiring short.

-roy-

"Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
> It is unlikely that the caps are causing this problem, and the variance in
> the resistors is normal and not critical (unless there is a wild variance)
>
> The following chips handle switch input:
>
> B11 - 1 player & 2 player start buttons, coin switches, sercive switch,
> test switch
> B14 - joystick
>
> If it is not your service or test switch you can go to test screen 6 and
> see if any of the other inputs appear closed. If one appears stuck, you
> can check the input/output pins of the 74LS240 that corresponds with that
> switch. The input pins - 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15 & 17 - should all be high
> without any closed switches (remember your service switch may be on :) .
> The output pins - 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16 & 18 - should all be low without
> any closed switches. If you are reading any thing other than that, chances
> are that the 240 is bad.
>
> -roy-
>
> "Matt Hoy" <hoy@psys.org> wrote in message
>> I've got a Qbert board that's giving me problems. It seems like at least
>> one switch input is shorted. I've checked all the resisitors for the
>> switch
>> inputs. (R1-R16, lower right corner of the main board). I've checked
>> the
>> little caps next to the resistors too. A couple of them measure
>> differently
>> than the others. Would the caps going "Bad" cause the switches to be
>> shorted on? How close do I have to be on value and type when I replace
>> them? Or is there an IC somewhere upstream thats suspect?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

have you checked the harness it's self??