Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to adjust Half Tone Freq (lpi) in a PostScript printer..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 26, 2005 1:32:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

How to adjust Half Tone Freq (lpi) in a PostScript printer's properties page
under Win 2k/xp

Used under Win 98, we can freely adjust the Half Tone Freq value (lpi, line
per inch) in the properties

window of a PostScript Printer (such as AGFA aucuset 1000, APPLE laserwriter
II... etc.)

A proper Half Tone Freq value gives us much better performance especially
when printing pictures, as you

know.

Now we upgrade the system to Win XP SP2. We can't find out the option where
we can adjust the Half Tone Freq

(lpi, line per inch) value any more.

The situation under Win 2000 is the same.

So please, who can tell me, where and how can I adjust Half Tone Freq (lpi)
value in a PostScript printer's

porperties page under Win 2k/xp.

Thanks a lot.

James

Apr. 26 2005
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:32:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

When you upgraded, did you download and install the latest Win2k/XP
Postscript driver for the particular make/model printer you have? Normally
this is a functionality of the printer driver itself. If the manufacturer
doesn't have a PS driver for Win2k/XP, then you may be out of luck, thereby
you have 2 solutions, go back to Win98 or buy a new PS printer that is WinXP
compatible, although I doubt you'll find a new PS printer with Win2k
support, as Win2k if Near End of Life Cycle, with only Security updates
through 2007.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"James" <yc_louis@tom.com> wrote in message
news:%23XbeA$fSFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> How to adjust Half Tone Freq (lpi) in a PostScript printer's properties
> page under Win 2k/xp
>
> Used under Win 98, we can freely adjust the Half Tone Freq value (lpi,
> line per inch) in the properties
>
> window of a PostScript Printer (such as AGFA aucuset 1000, APPLE
> laserwriter II... etc.)
>
> A proper Half Tone Freq value gives us much better performance especially
> when printing pictures, as you
>
> know.
>
> Now we upgrade the system to Win XP SP2. We can't find out the option
> where we can adjust the Half Tone Freq
>
> (lpi, line per inch) value any more.
>
> The situation under Win 2000 is the same.
>
> So please, who can tell me, where and how can I adjust Half Tone Freq
> (lpi) value in a PostScript printer's
>
> porperties page under Win 2k/xp.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> James
>
> Apr. 26 2005
>
>
April 26, 2005 1:32:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi,

If you can't get the XP compatible drivers for your PS Printer and you don't
want to buy a new printer, you can setup a dual boot system on your PC.

Peter

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:

> When you upgraded, did you download and install the latest Win2k/XP
> Postscript driver for the particular make/model printer you have? Normally
> this is a functionality of the printer driver itself. If the manufacturer
> doesn't have a PS driver for Win2k/XP, then you may be out of luck, thereby
> you have 2 solutions, go back to Win98 or buy a new PS printer that is WinXP
> compatible, although I doubt you'll find a new PS printer with Win2k
> support, as Win2k if Near End of Life Cycle, with only Security updates
> through 2007.
>
> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>
> http://www.google.com
> Google is your "Friend"
>
> "James" <yc_louis@tom.com> wrote in message
> news:%23XbeA$fSFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > How to adjust Half Tone Freq (lpi) in a PostScript printer's properties
> > page under Win 2k/xp
> >
> > Used under Win 98, we can freely adjust the Half Tone Freq value (lpi,
> > line per inch) in the properties
> >
> > window of a PostScript Printer (such as AGFA aucuset 1000, APPLE
> > laserwriter II... etc.)
> >
> > A proper Half Tone Freq value gives us much better performance especially
> > when printing pictures, as you
> >
> > know.
> >
> > Now we upgrade the system to Win XP SP2. We can't find out the option
> > where we can adjust the Half Tone Freq
> >
> > (lpi, line per inch) value any more.
> >
> > The situation under Win 2000 is the same.
> >
> > So please, who can tell me, where and how can I adjust Half Tone Freq
> > (lpi) value in a PostScript printer's
> >
> > porperties page under Win 2k/xp.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > James
> >
> > Apr. 26 2005
> >
> >
>
>
>
April 27, 2005 1:33:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I said "upgrade my system to win xp" doesn't mean I did a upgrade
installation from win98 to winxp. In fact, I bought a new computer with Win
XP. And then, I installed my application softwares (such as CorelDraw,
Photoshop... etc.) on it and go on doing my job.
And the fact 2 is: I don't have a real PS printer at all. I just need a .ps
file for presswork purpose, so I always print my job to a .PS file via a PS
printer driver.

Generally I install a PS printer from Windows CD-ROM. And I can expediently
specify a lpi value.
But things changed. All PS drivers have a same looking interface and thiere
isn't a place about half tone freq in postscript property group. All PS
printer drivers, both from microsoft and from printer manufacturer. for
example, PS driver for XP/2k of Laserjet 5100 downloaded from HP web site.

I am wondering. The windows software become larger and larger, but its
funtion backslide...
Perhaps, only Bill Gates can solve my porblem.

Any way, thank for your help.

James



"Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:85825EA7-D45A-495F-8DB0-19D94A8207F3@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> If you can't get the XP compatible drivers for your PS Printer and you
> don't
> want to buy a new printer, you can setup a dual boot system on your PC.
>
> Peter
>
> "Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:
>
>> When you upgraded, did you download and install the latest Win2k/XP
>> Postscript driver for the particular make/model printer you have?
>> Normally
>> this is a functionality of the printer driver itself. If the
>> manufacturer
>> doesn't have a PS driver for Win2k/XP, then you may be out of luck,
>> thereby
>> you have 2 solutions, go back to Win98 or buy a new PS printer that is
>> WinXP
>> compatible, although I doubt you'll find a new PS printer with Win2k
>> support, as Win2k if Near End of Life Cycle, with only Security updates
>> through 2007.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>>
>> http://www.google.com
>> Google is your "Friend"
>>
>> "James" <yc_louis@tom.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23XbeA$fSFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> > How to adjust Half Tone Freq (lpi) in a PostScript printer's properties
>> > page under Win 2k/xp
>> >
>> > Used under Win 98, we can freely adjust the Half Tone Freq value (lpi,
>> > line per inch) in the properties
>> >
>> > window of a PostScript Printer (such as AGFA aucuset 1000, APPLE
>> > laserwriter II... etc.)
>> >
>> > A proper Half Tone Freq value gives us much better performance
>> > especially
>> > when printing pictures, as you
>> >
>> > know.
>> >
>> > Now we upgrade the system to Win XP SP2. We can't find out the option
>> > where we can adjust the Half Tone Freq
>> >
>> > (lpi, line per inch) value any more.
>> >
>> > The situation under Win 2000 is the same.
>> >
>> > So please, who can tell me, where and how can I adjust Half Tone Freq
>> > (lpi) value in a PostScript printer's
>> >
>> > porperties page under Win 2k/xp.
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot.
>> >
>> > James
>> >
>> > Apr. 26 2005
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:59:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

James wrote:
> I said "upgrade my system to win xp" doesn't mean I did a upgrade
> installation from win98 to winxp.

Yes it does.

"I bought a new computer with Windows XP" means I bought a new computer with
Windows XP.


We're not psychic - say what you mean and mean what you say!



--
In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
April 28, 2005 7:09:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

We just discuss some technical problem. I am sorry for those psychic answer
disturb your thinking, my friends!

And I am glad to know Tich is not psychic, I did really feel he/she is.

James


"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com>
??????:j6Ebe.56142$5I1.20822@fe06.highwinds-media.phx...
> James wrote:
>> I said "upgrade my system to win xp" doesn't mean I did a upgrade
>> installation from win98 to winxp.
>
> Yes it does.
>
> "I bought a new computer with Windows XP" means I bought a new computer
> with Windows XP.
>
>
> We're not psychic - say what you mean and mean what you say!
>
>
>
> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
!