removing galaxian artwork question

is the artwork on this game a decal or was it silkscreened on the white
laminate which was then applied to the plywood?

what is the best way to get te artwork completely off the side of the
cabinet to be left with a nice clean white side?

the cab i have was painted over black latex.. some of it was rubbery and
peeled off taking the original artwork underneath leaving a nice clean white
base.. other areas seems to have stuck better to the white.. leaving
ghosting of the original artwork.

i tried goof off.. but that doesn't seem to be working as good on the
artwork and making more of a mess then anything. i was goign to try some
regular paint stripper but wasn't sure about ther white laminate.

i doubt sanding is an option unless i'm going to peel off the white stuff
too.

any advice is appreciated.

keith

The Galaxian I had was painted Blue over the Galaxian sideart? but I
stripped the whole thing with a heat gun, the Galaxian side art is silk
screened onto some textured vinyl, and mine was bare wood underneath it.
I can send you a picture of what it looked like if your interested.
Dave

sure, photos are always helpful.
did the heatgun take up the white vinyl too?

maybe i should just strip it down to the wood then paint it as a pac or
galaga cabinet.

still undecided.

keith.

"Diamond Dave" <grabrr@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> The Galaxian I had was painted Blue over the Galaxian sideart? but I
> stripped the whole thing with a heat gun, the Galaxian side art is silk
> screened onto some textured vinyl, and mine was bare wood underneath it.
> I can send you a picture of what it looked like if your interested.
> Dave

The artwork was screened onto textured vinyl. Take a hair dryer, heat
up the vinyl (this will heat the glue underneath, and make it easier
to remove the artwork). You'll be left with bare wood (and some glue
residue), suitable for sanding, priming and painting.

I did this with a Galaxian Cabinet that had been convered to a Galaga.

Blaine.

- - -

>is the artwork on this game a decal or was it silkscreened on the white
>laminate which was then applied to the plywood?
>
>what is the best way to get te artwork completely off the side of the
>cabinet to be left with a nice clean white side?
>
>the cab i have was painted over black latex.. some of it was rubbery and
>peeled off taking the original artwork underneath leaving a nice clean white
>base.. other areas seems to have stuck better to the white.. leaving
>ghosting of the original artwork.
>
>i tried goof off.. but that doesn't seem to be working as good on the
>artwork and making more of a mess then anything. i was goign to try some
>regular paint stripper but wasn't sure about ther white laminate.
>
>i doubt sanding is an option unless i'm going to peel off the white stuff
>too.
>
>any advice is appreciated.
>
>keith

so a hair dryer will put out enough heat to pull the vinyl?
wish i had a heat gun.. i almost took a torch to it today but figured fire..
and the paint remover fumes might not be a good combination. :)

"B. White" <bish500@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> The artwork was screened onto textured vinyl. Take a hair dryer, heat
> up the vinyl (this will heat the glue underneath, and make it easier
> to remove the artwork). You'll be left with bare wood (and some glue
> residue), suitable for sanding, priming and painting.
>
> I did this with a Galaxian Cabinet that had been convered to a Galaga.
>
> Blaine.
>
> - - -
>
> >is the artwork on this game a decal or was it silkscreened on the white
> >laminate which was then applied to the plywood?
> >
> >what is the best way to get te artwork completely off the side of the
> >cabinet to be left with a nice clean white side?
> >
> >the cab i have was painted over black latex.. some of it was rubbery and
> >peeled off taking the original artwork underneath leaving a nice clean
white
> >base.. other areas seems to have stuck better to the white.. leaving
> >ghosting of the original artwork.
> >
> >i tried goof off.. but that doesn't seem to be working as good on the
> >artwork and making more of a mess then anything. i was goign to try some
> >regular paint stripper but wasn't sure about ther white laminate.
> >
> >i doubt sanding is an option unless i'm going to peel off the white stuff
> >too.
> >
> >any advice is appreciated.
> >
> >keith

Keith: I did mine with a hair dryer, but really had to warm up each
spot thoroughly. A heat gun would likely work
better/faster...especially since you're not concerned about keeping
the artwork in good condition.

Blaine.

- - -

>so a hair dryer will put out enough heat to pull the vinyl?
>wish i had a heat gun.. i almost took a torch to it today but figured fire..
>and the paint remover fumes might not be a good combination. :)

>"B. White" <bish500@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> The artwork was screened onto textured vinyl. Take a hair dryer, heat
>> up the vinyl (this will heat the glue underneath, and make it easier
>> to remove the artwork). You'll be left with bare wood (and some glue
>> residue), suitable for sanding, priming and painting.
>>
>> I did this with a Galaxian Cabinet that had been convered to a Galaga.
>>
>> Blaine.
>>
>> - - -
>>
>> >is the artwork on this game a decal or was it silkscreened on the white
>> >laminate which was then applied to the plywood?
>> >
>> >what is the best way to get te artwork completely off the side of the
>> >cabinet to be left with a nice clean white side?
>> >
>> >the cab i have was painted over black latex.. some of it was rubbery and
>> >peeled off taking the original artwork underneath leaving a nice clean
>white
>> >base.. other areas seems to have stuck better to the white.. leaving
>> >ghosting of the original artwork.
>> >
>> >i tried goof off.. but that doesn't seem to be working as good on the
>> >artwork and making more of a mess then anything. i was goign to try some
>> >regular paint stripper but wasn't sure about ther white laminate.
>> >
>> >i doubt sanding is an option unless i'm going to peel off the white stuff
>> >too.
>> >
>> >any advice is appreciated.
>> >
>> >keith

You can scrub the paint off the white laminate using some Simple Green,
a mildly abrasive sponge, and a lot of elbow grease.

I wouldn't use any paint stripper... it'll probably eat the laminate.
Goo Gone should be OK though.

Matt

"keith corcoran" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message news:f8-dnf0xTsioAsTfRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> is the artwork on this game a decal or was it silkscreened on the white
> laminate which was then applied to the plywood?
>
> what is the best way to get te artwork completely off the side of the
> cabinet to be left with a nice clean white side?
>
> the cab i have was painted over black latex.. some of it was rubbery and
> peeled off taking the original artwork underneath leaving a nice clean white
> base.. other areas seems to have stuck better to the white.. leaving
> ghosting of the original artwork.
>
> i tried goof off.. but that doesn't seem to be working as good on the
> artwork and making more of a mess then anything. i was goign to try some
> regular paint stripper but wasn't sure about ther white laminate.
>
> i doubt sanding is an option unless i'm going to peel off the white stuff
> too.
>
> any advice is appreciated.
>
> keith

Another household appliance that will work is an ordinary clothes iron.
I have removed a fair share of laminate using an iron. Work slowly.
jim

> so a hair dryer will put out enough heat to pull the vinyl?
> wish i had a heat gun.. i almost took a torch to it today but figured
> fire.. and the paint remover fumes might not be a good combination. :)

Yup! I'm working on one too. It's too bad, really. I would have liked
to save the artwork.

Just use the dryer on it's highest setting, pass it about six inches from
the surface, and move it back and forth. You should be able to pull down
6"x12" pieces at a time.

One thing I noted was that the vinyl likes to stick to the nail holes.

--
Do you want a free Gaming Console?
http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216

TRENDING THREADS