Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
July 4, 2012 12:09:16 AM

Hello all,

Required:

15.6" Screen

as high res as possible for budget

Webcam

6 cell battery should be fine

Not going to be used for gaming only for watching HD content, web browsing, listening to music (good decent in-built speakers wanted, if that's possible) etc.

300 - 500gb HDD

As much RAM as possible for budget

AMD or Intel CPU i5 preferred over i3

Windows 7 home prem will do

DVD/cd drive, write/read speed not important

Good longevity

From UK so amazon.co.uk or Lenovo's would be preferred

Budget as close to £400

Been looking at Thinkpad Edge E530 with these custom specs: http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6557/thinkpade530.png

and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-5750-15-6-Laptop/dp...

Acer and Lenovo's product line preferred, for I know they both make pretty solid laptops, not as good as IBM did but...

Thank you in advance :D 

More about : laptop needed suggestions

July 4, 2012 12:23:44 AM

the cheapest laptop for games is a laptop with AMD A8 3520
if you dont care about games find the cheapest core i3 laptop
m
l
July 4, 2012 12:32:23 AM

oxford373 said:
the cheapest laptop for games is a laptop with AMD A8 3520
if you dont care about games find the cheapest core i3 laptop

So are you saying that both the laptops I was looking at are overkill for what it will be used for?
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2012 12:37:27 AM

i cant enter the 2nd link, and you didn't tell me if you want it for games or not
m
l
July 4, 2012 12:49:25 AM

the core i3 is good one but its not suitable for games
what is the cpu and graphics card for the second one
m
l
July 4, 2012 1:02:29 AM

oxford373 said:
the core i3 is good one but its not suitable for games
what is the cpu and graphics card for the second one

Sorry don't know what went wrong with the link there (fixed it), and I thought you had already fully read the question "Not going to be used for gaming only for watching HD content, web browsing, listening to music (good decent in-built speakers wanted, if that's possible) etc." maybe you missed that bit :p 

That acer has an i5 and is only £400, so looking at it now actually that acer is the better deal over the Thinkpad, but still I am not sure if an i5 is not overkill... Would laptops that have i3s have all the other feature that I want? There's just so much to consider.
m
l
July 4, 2012 1:26:27 AM

the acer is better but if you want something better than both try to find the cheapest laptop with core i5 have HD4000 graphics card
m
l
July 4, 2012 1:42:58 AM

oxford373 said:
the acer is better but if you want something better than both try to find the cheapest laptop with core i5-3210m

Laptops with that CPU all seem to be well out of my price range as far as I can see, thanks for your assistance anyway, seen as you were the only one to respond :) 
m
l
July 4, 2012 1:45:40 AM

i searched internet and i couldn't find something better than the your acer laptop it is the best available
m
l
!