Error: The Service Has Not Been Started

I have been receiving the error set out in the subject line recently when I
boot the computer. I looked in the Event Viewer, which stated that the Source
was "DCOM" and the ID was 10005. The description stated the following:
DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the
service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

I followed the help instructions and determined that the problem has
something to do with rpcss.dll in the System32 folder.
Does anyone have any idea about what the problem might be. This seems fairly
advanced and I do not know where to begin.

Thanks,
Jeff

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Jeffrey Brown" <JeffreyBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A76DB1AE-0AB5-47AE-A0E5-B82D40CC39B0@microsoft.com...
>I have been receiving the error set out in the subject line recently when I
> boot the computer. I looked in the Event Viewer, which stated that the Source
> was "DCOM" and the ID was 10005. The description stated the following:
> DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the
> service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
> {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
>
> I followed the help instructions and determined that the problem has
> something to do with rpcss.dll in the System32 folder.
> Does anyone have any idea about what the problem might be. This seems fairly
> advanced and I do not know where to begin.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

I tried this and the first time I booted Windows I did not get the error, but
it returned the second time I booted Windows.
Any other ideas?

Jeff

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
> 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Jeffrey Brown" <JeffreyBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A76DB1AE-0AB5-47AE-A0E5-B82D40CC39B0@microsoft.com...
> >I have been receiving the error set out in the subject line recently when I
> > boot the computer. I looked in the Event Viewer, which stated that the Source
> > was "DCOM" and the ID was 10005. The description stated the following:
> > DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the
> > service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
> > {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
> >
> > I followed the help instructions and determined that the problem has
> > something to do with rpcss.dll in the System32 folder.
> > Does anyone have any idea about what the problem might be. This seems fairly
> > advanced and I do not know where to begin.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff

Most often corruption of a service is caused by a corrupt or incompatible driver for your hardware. You may have some virus or
spyware doing that. I would try the new beta for antispy from MS. It has a "Browser Hijack" tool to repair such things.

MS Antispy software, and FAQ - Download MS anti-spyware beta :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en and read the FAQ -

Mark L. Ferguson