XP Hangs on Blue Screen...

A friend of mine's system will boot and hangs on the XP blue screen,
just before it'd normally go to the desktop. You can move the cursor
around, but that is all.

She claims all she ran the night before was Word and Outlook and
shutdown normally and then when she went to boot today she had this
problem.

I tired walking her through Safe Mode and Last Known Config, but each
of those manifest the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thx
2 answers Last reply
More about hangs blue screen

    Can i suggest the following. Run msconfig's diagnostic. If that fails run the
    repair console.

    SAFE MODE

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=4&Src=sec_doc_nam#_Section4

    MSCONFIG

    http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmb_tol_dxth.asp
    This explains all details of how to use the utility.

    In brief what you will need to do is go to the start menu then go to the run
    command box. Once there type “msconfig�. This will bring up the Microsoft
    Configuration Utility. Once in it there are two options.

    1. If you believe you know what is causing the problem go through to the
    services tab. Click on the hide all Microsoft services tab. Then go through
    the list and untick what you think is causing you problems. Be careful, but
    do not worry. If you untick a vital services MS will automatically retick it
    on restart. Next go to the startup tab. Untick everything that you think may
    be causing you the problem and then apply your changes, and restart your
    computer to see if you are still experiencing the problem.
    2. If number one does not work or you do not know what is causing the
    problem do the following. In the Microsoft Configuration Utility’s welcome
    screen, click diagnostic startup. Restart the computer. Do you have the same
    problem? If so then use system restore (located in the start menu’s
    accessories tab) to undo the msconfig change. If it has it is now your job to
    find what was causing the problem. So to the services tab. Click on the hide
    all Microsoft services tab. Then go through the list and retick 5 services
    (at a time i.e. between each restart) and find what you think is causing your
    problems. Be careful, but do not worry. If you untick a vital services MS
    will automatically retick it on restart. Next go to the startup tab. Retick 5
    programs (at a time i.e. between each restart) and find what you think is
    causing your problems. Then apply your changes, and restart your computer to
    see if you are still experiencing the problem.

    THE REPAIR CONSOLE

    This method will reinstall Windows XP, and delete all drivers and windows
    updates, BUT IT WILL NOT DELETE YOUR PROGRAMS OR FILES!

    To use it you need to insert your Windows XP CD, and then restart your
    computer. Then when the boot screen comes up, click ‘boot from cd’ and once
    the XP cd has loaded, select the repair console.

    Here are some websites that describe the process
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/EN-US/ Please not this is very detailed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm this is quite a good
    step by step guide which I recommend printing off and looking at while doing
    your first repair

    Do not worry. Repairs are very easy, but afterwards you will need to
    reinstall drivers, and run Windows Update.

    I hope that helps

    Cheers

    Quintin

    ps you may also want to run system restore once in safe mode (after you try
    the diagnostic)

    "puzzled186" wrote:

    > A friend of mine's system will boot and hangs on the XP blue screen,
    > just before it'd normally go to the desktop. You can move the cursor
    > around, but that is all.
    >
    > She claims all she ran the night before was Word and Outlook and
    > shutdown normally and then when she went to boot today she had this
    > problem.
    >
    > I tired walking her through Safe Mode and Last Known Config, but each
    > of those manifest the same problem.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thx

    The repair console is an option, msconfig is not as I can never get to
    the Start button, it hangs in the blue screen just prior to going to
    desktop.

    Thanks

Blue Screen Windows XP