POLL: what to do with this midway cabinet

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Ok.. I know you all have better things to do then answer this question but
here it is anyway.

I picked up this midway (galaxian) cabinet this weekend with a jamma harness
in it. Has a really nice coin door with mechs and a box, and other internals
like speaker, some wiring, etc and the cabinet itself is in great structural
shape except it's painted black.

I started removing the black paint but before i go to far.. was wondering
what would be best to do with the cabinet.

i was thinking to get the galaxian artwork reprinted and restore it as that,
maybe with a multi jamma board in it. strip it down to the wood and
ressurect it as a multi pac cabinet repainted as a pacman or something...
maybe a galaga cabinet with some inkjet artwork (i actually have a place
that does this very good quality solvent based printing that i've used on my
mini cabinets.)..

or.. whatever. i'd be interested in seeing what people would do with
something like this. keeping in mind that money isn't falling off the trees
in my backyard. so I guess the most economical, smart money well spent type
thing.

if you're still reading this.. feel free to chime in with your ideas and
reasons.

and.. anyone have an unpopulated pac, rally x, galaxian control panel they
could let go really cheap? i don't care if it needs to be stripped to the
metal and bathed in naval jelly. low budget is the name of the game this
month. i might just build a wood CP for it. shouldn't be too tough.

k.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

i have a galaxian cp with extra holes because it was used in a
2player/2button conversion...you can have it for the shipping costs if
you want it

keith corcoran wrote:
> Ok.. I know you all have better things to do then answer this
question but
> here it is anyway.
>
> I picked up this midway (galaxian) cabinet this weekend with a jamma
harness
> in it. Has a really nice coin door with mechs and a box, and other
internals
> like speaker, some wiring, etc and the cabinet itself is in great
structural
> shape except it's painted black.
>
> I started removing the black paint but before i go to far.. was
wondering
> what would be best to do with the cabinet.
>
> i was thinking to get the galaxian artwork reprinted and restore it
as that,
> maybe with a multi jamma board in it. strip it down to the wood and
> ressurect it as a multi pac cabinet repainted as a pacman or
something...
> maybe a galaga cabinet with some inkjet artwork (i actually have a
place
> that does this very good quality solvent based printing that i've
used on my
> mini cabinets.)..
>
> or.. whatever. i'd be interested in seeing what people would do with
> something like this. keeping in mind that money isn't falling off the
trees
> in my backyard. so I guess the most economical, smart money well
spent type
> thing.
>
> if you're still reading this.. feel free to chime in with your ideas
and
> reasons.
>
> and.. anyone have an unpopulated pac, rally x, galaxian control panel
they
> could let go really cheap? i don't care if it needs to be stripped to
the
> metal and bathed in naval jelly. low budget is the name of the game
this
> month. i might just build a wood CP for it. shouldn't be too tough.
>
> k.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Since the game was already converted it, then what
you turn the game into is really up to you. If you
are the type of collector that simply has to restore
games, then a Galaxian it will be again. If you
like other games, then you could always try the
Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, etc. route. There is
a Multi-Galaxian kit, so maybe you want to go that
direction and get some other cool games to do along
with it.

If it were me and the sides could be saved or
restored, I'd go the Galaxian route (possibly with
a 4-in-1 or 16-in-1 kit (the 4-in-1 is free, the
16-in-1 is not).

Scott C.

keith corcoran wrote:
> Ok.. I know you all have better things to do then answer this question but
> here it is anyway.
>
> I picked up this midway (galaxian) cabinet this weekend with a jamma harness
> in it. Has a really nice coin door with mechs and a box, and other internals
> like speaker, some wiring, etc and the cabinet itself is in great structural
> shape except it's painted black.
>
> I started removing the black paint but before i go to far.. was wondering
> what would be best to do with the cabinet.
>
> i was thinking to get the galaxian artwork reprinted and restore it as that,
> maybe with a multi jamma board in it. strip it down to the wood and
> ressurect it as a multi pac cabinet repainted as a pacman or something...
> maybe a galaga cabinet with some inkjet artwork (i actually have a place
> that does this very good quality solvent based printing that i've used on my
> mini cabinets.)..
>
> or.. whatever. i'd be interested in seeing what people would do with
> something like this. keeping in mind that money isn't falling off the trees
> in my backyard. so I guess the most economical, smart money well spent type
> thing.
>
> if you're still reading this.. feel free to chime in with your ideas and
> reasons.
>
> and.. anyone have an unpopulated pac, rally x, galaxian control panel they
> could let go really cheap? i don't care if it needs to be stripped to the
> metal and bathed in naval jelly. low budget is the name of the game this
> month. i might just build a wood CP for it. shouldn't be too tough.
>
> k.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Unfortunately the artwork is toast.
Personally I'm probably leaning towards a pac cabinet.. nothing says vintage
arcade like a bright yellow pac cabinet to most people.

I noticed the Ms Pac cabinets looked a little different. is this the case? i
havn't seen a side by side comparison.

I'm not a big galaxian fan (gameplay wise) but the white cabinet and green
art 'is' pretty cool.

keep the thoughts coming.

k.

"Scott Caldwell" <lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote in message
> Since the game was already converted it, then what
> you turn the game into is really up to you. If you
> are the type of collector that simply has to restore
> games, then a Galaxian it will be again. If you
> like other games, then you could always try the
> Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, etc. route. There is
> a Multi-Galaxian kit, so maybe you want to go that
> direction and get some other cool games to do along
> with it.
>
> If it were me and the sides could be saved or
> restored, I'd go the Galaxian route (possibly with
> a 4-in-1 or 16-in-1 kit (the 4-in-1 is free, the
> 16-in-1 is not).
>
> Scott C.
>
> keith corcoran wrote:
> > Ok.. I know you all have better things to do then answer this question
but
> > here it is anyway.
> >
> > I picked up this midway (galaxian) cabinet this weekend with a jamma
harness
> > in it. Has a really nice coin door with mechs and a box, and other
internals
> > like speaker, some wiring, etc and the cabinet itself is in great
structural
> > shape except it's painted black.
> >
> > I started removing the black paint but before i go to far.. was
wondering
> > what would be best to do with the cabinet.
> >
> > i was thinking to get the galaxian artwork reprinted and restore it as
that,
> > maybe with a multi jamma board in it. strip it down to the wood and
> > ressurect it as a multi pac cabinet repainted as a pacman or
something...
> > maybe a galaga cabinet with some inkjet artwork (i actually have a place
> > that does this very good quality solvent based printing that i've used
on my
> > mini cabinets.)..
> >
> > or.. whatever. i'd be interested in seeing what people would do with
> > something like this. keeping in mind that money isn't falling off the
trees
> > in my backyard. so I guess the most economical, smart money well spent
type
> > thing.
> >
> > if you're still reading this.. feel free to chime in with your ideas and
> > reasons.
> >
> > and.. anyone have an unpopulated pac, rally x, galaxian control panel
they
> > could let go really cheap? i don't care if it needs to be stripped to
the
> > metal and bathed in naval jelly. low budget is the name of the game this
> > month. i might just build a wood CP for it. shouldn't be too tough.
> >
> > k.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga cabinets are the same, but
different from Galaxian and Pac-Man cabinet (parts
still fit between the four, though).

Scott C.

keith corcoran wrote:
> [...]
>>>something like this. keeping in mind that money isn't falling off the
>
> trees
>
>>>in my backyard. so I guess the most economical, smart money well spent
>
> type
>
>>>thing.
>>>
>>>if you're still reading this.. feel free to chime in with your ideas and
>>>reasons.
>>>
>>>and.. anyone have an unpopulated pac, rally x, galaxian control panel
>
> they
>
>>>could let go really cheap? i don't care if it needs to be stripped to
>
> the
>
>>>metal and bathed in naval jelly. low budget is the name of the game this
>>>month. i might just build a wood CP for it. shouldn't be too tough.
>>>
>>>k.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

i just looked and the front curve by the CP seems a little more pronounced
on the ms pac cabinets. didn't know a ms pac CP would fit on a pac cab
though. thanks for the info.

> Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga cabinets are the same, but
> different from Galaxian and Pac-Man cabinet (parts
> still fit between the four, though).
>
> Scott C.
>
> keith corcoran wrote:
> > Unfortunately the artwork is toast.
> > Personally I'm probably leaning towards a pac cabinet.. nothing says
vintage
> > arcade like a bright yellow pac cabinet to most people.
> >
> > I noticed the Ms Pac cabinets looked a little different. is this the
case? i
> > havn't seen a side by side comparison.
> >
> > I'm not a big galaxian fan (gameplay wise) but the white cabinet and
green
> > art 'is' pretty cool.
> >
> > keep the thoughts coming.
> >
> > k.
> >

> > "Scott Caldwell" <lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Since the game was already converted it, then what
> >>you turn the game into is really up to you. If you
> >>are the type of collector that simply has to restore
> >>games, then a Galaxian it will be again. If you
> >>like other games, then you could always try the
> >>Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, etc. route. There is
> >>a Multi-Galaxian kit, so maybe you want to go that
> >>direction and get some other cool games to do along
> >>with it.
> >>
> >>If it were me and the sides could be saved or
> >>restored, I'd go the Galaxian route (possibly with
> >>a 4-in-1 or 16-in-1 kit (the 4-in-1 is free, the
> >>16-in-1 is not).
> >>
> >>Scott C.

> > but

> > harness

> > internals

> > structural

> > wondering

> > that,

> > something...

> > on my

> > trees

> > type

> > they

> > the

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

You can cut off the sides at the level of the control panel. Take the bezel
and use in inside the cabinet, after removing the coin door, to make a
window. Use on of the cut side pieces as a top for the remaining cabinet.
Cut a large "U" shaped hole in the remaining cut off piece of side, tack
that onto the back opening, and voila. instant dog house for small size
mutt.

--
Art
"keith corcoran" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
> Ok.. I know you all have better things to do then answer this question but
> here it is anyway.
>
> I picked up this midway (galaxian) cabinet this weekend with a jamma
> harness
> in it. Has a really nice coin door with mechs and a box, and other
> internals
> like speaker, some wiring, etc and the cabinet itself is in great
> structural
> shape except it's painted black.
>
> I started removing the black paint but before i go to far.. was wondering
> what would be best to do with the cabinet.
>
> i was thinking to get the galaxian artwork reprinted and restore it as
> that,
> maybe with a multi jamma board in it. strip it down to the wood and
> ressurect it as a multi pac cabinet repainted as a pacman or something...
> maybe a galaga cabinet with some inkjet artwork (i actually have a place
> that does this very good quality solvent based printing that i've used on
> my
> mini cabinets.)..
>
> or.. whatever. i'd be interested in seeing what people would do with
> something like this. keeping in mind that money isn't falling off the
> trees
> in my backyard. so I guess the most economical, smart money well spent
> type
> thing.
>
> if you're still reading this.. feel free to chime in with your ideas and
> reasons.
>
> and.. anyone have an unpopulated pac, rally x, galaxian control panel they
> could let go really cheap? i don't care if it needs to be stripped to the
> metal and bathed in naval jelly. low budget is the name of the game this
> month. i might just build a wood CP for it. shouldn't be too tough.
>
> k.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

haha. that's a little better then the fish tank idea i had.
just throw a 19 inch tv in there with a video game look running on it and a
custom plexi fish tank in front of the screen. drop the food in through the
top of the machine.

"Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
wrote in message news:auj6e.1417$%v6.17@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> You can cut off the sides at the level of the control panel. Take the
bezel
> and use in inside the cabinet, after removing the coin door, to make a
> window. Use on of the cut side pieces as a top for the remaining cabinet.
> Cut a large "U" shaped hole in the remaining cut off piece of side, tack
> that onto the back opening, and voila. instant dog house for small size
> mutt.
>
> --
> Art
> "keith corcoran" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
> > Ok.. I know you all have better things to do then answer this question
but
> > here it is anyway.
> >
> > I picked up this midway (galaxian) cabinet this weekend with a jamma
> > harness
> > in it. Has a really nice coin door with mechs and a box, and other
> > internals
> > like speaker, some wiring, etc and the cabinet itself is in great
> > structural
> > shape except it's painted black.
> >
> > I started removing the black paint but before i go to far.. was
wondering
> > what would be best to do with the cabinet.
> >
> > i was thinking to get the galaxian artwork reprinted and restore it as
> > that,
> > maybe with a multi jamma board in it. strip it down to the wood and
> > ressurect it as a multi pac cabinet repainted as a pacman or
something...
> > maybe a galaga cabinet with some inkjet artwork (i actually have a place
> > that does this very good quality solvent based printing that i've used
on
> > my
> > mini cabinets.)..
> >
> > or.. whatever. i'd be interested in seeing what people would do with
> > something like this. keeping in mind that money isn't falling off the
> > trees
> > in my backyard. so I guess the most economical, smart money well spent
> > type
> > thing.
> >
> > if you're still reading this.. feel free to chime in with your ideas and
> > reasons.
> >
> > and.. anyone have an unpopulated pac, rally x, galaxian control panel
they
> > could let go really cheap? i don't care if it needs to be stripped to
the
> > metal and bathed in naval jelly. low budget is the name of the game this
> > month. i might just build a wood CP for it. shouldn't be too tough.
> >
> > k.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Only Art would think of this!

Mark
"Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
wrote in message news:auj6e.1417$%v6.17@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> You can cut off the sides at the level of the control panel. Take the
> bezel and use in inside the cabinet, after removing the coin door, to make
> a window. Use on of the cut side pieces as a top for the remaining
> cabinet. Cut a large "U" shaped hole in the remaining cut off piece of
> side, tack that onto the back opening, and voila. instant dog house for
> small size mutt.
>
> --
> Art
> "keith corcoran" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
>> Ok.. I know you all have better things to do then answer this question
>> but
>> here it is anyway.
>>
>> I picked up this midway (galaxian) cabinet this weekend with a jamma
>> harness
>> in it. Has a really nice coin door with mechs and a box, and other
>> internals
>> like speaker, some wiring, etc and the cabinet itself is in great
>> structural
>> shape except it's painted black.
>>
>> I started removing the black paint but before i go to far.. was wondering
>> what would be best to do with the cabinet.
>>
>> i was thinking to get the galaxian artwork reprinted and restore it as
>> that,
>> maybe with a multi jamma board in it. strip it down to the wood and
>> ressurect it as a multi pac cabinet repainted as a pacman or something...
>> maybe a galaga cabinet with some inkjet artwork (i actually have a place
>> that does this very good quality solvent based printing that i've used on
>> my
>> mini cabinets.)..
>>
>> or.. whatever. i'd be interested in seeing what people would do with
>> something like this. keeping in mind that money isn't falling off the
>> trees
>> in my backyard. so I guess the most economical, smart money well spent
>> type
>> thing.
>>
>> if you're still reading this.. feel free to chime in with your ideas and
>> reasons.
>>
>> and.. anyone have an unpopulated pac, rally x, galaxian control panel
>> they
>> could let go really cheap? i don't care if it needs to be stripped to the
>> metal and bathed in naval jelly. low budget is the name of the game this
>> month. i might just build a wood CP for it. shouldn't be too tough.
>>
>> k.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Use that control panel and restore it to a Galaxian and get the 16 in 1 kit.
The kit is great by the way!

http://www.arcades.org.uk/

Brent

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I second that motion.

Troy,

BrentRadio <newsgroup4@brentradio.com> wrote in message
> Use that control panel and restore it to a Galaxian and get the 16 in 1
kit.
> The kit is great by the way!
>
> http://www.arcades.org.uk/
>
> Brent

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I think you should give me the cab for my 4 in 1. hahaha Just
kidding. You should take a look at one of those boards you can upload
the roms into for it. By the way, any luck with the Space Harrier?

Don
NJ

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Have any info / link for the 16-in one?

k.

"Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
> I second that motion.
>
> Troy,
>

> BrentRadio <newsgroup4@brentradio.com> wrote in message
> > Use that control panel and restore it to a Galaxian and get the 16 in 1
> kit.
> > The kit is great by the way!
> >
> > http://www.arcades.org.uk/
> >
> > Brent

WINNER

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

no luck on space harrier yet but i'm still looking. something will come
up.

your cabinet is actually better then this one i think.. at least you
have a control panel and marquee!

i'm going to have to come by soon so you can help me get this mr. do
boardset and harness running.

k.

Don NJ wrote:
> I think you should give me the cab for my 4 in 1. hahaha Just
> kidding. You should take a look at one of those boards you can
upload
> the roms into for it. By the way, any luck with the Space Harrier?
>
> Don
> NJ

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Brent posted it above.
click on multi-galaxian

Troy,

> Have any info / link for the 16-in one?
>
> k.
>

> "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
> > I second that motion.
> >
> > Troy,
> >

> > BrentRadio <newsgroup4@brentradio.com> wrote in message
> > > Use that control panel and restore it to a Galaxian and get the 16 in
1
> > kit.
> > > The kit is great by the way!
> > >
> > > http://www.arcades.org.uk/
> > >
> > > Brent

WINNER

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

oh.. i thought that was just a link to his site.. never clicked on it.
problem here is.. this cabinet was gutted and has a jamma harness in
it. i don't have the galaxian PCB.
what's the exchange rate now? L250 in $ + shipping.. hmm.
can i plug this into a jamma harness with an adapter?

i really do want at least a ms pac on a multi though.

back to the drawing board

WINNER

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

oh.. and where can i get that MR DO'S NIGHTMARE rom set? i'd like to
check it out in mame.

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

yup, you need the jamma adapter though.

Troy,

> oh.. i thought that was just a link to his site.. never clicked on it.
> problem here is.. this cabinet was gutted and has a jamma harness in
> it. i don't have the galaxian PCB.
> what's the exchange rate now? L250 in $ + shipping.. hmm.
> can i plug this into a jamma harness with an adapter?
>
> i really do want at least a ms pac on a multi though.
>
> back to the drawing board

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I just got a gutted Galaxian cab too. It had been painted black and
converted to....Macho Mouse! (quite possibly the worst conversion I've
ever seen). I stripped it down to the lovely bare wood, and the Cp
down to bare metal. I plan on putting a 3-in-1 board I already have
into it (Ms Pac/Galaga/Frogger). Should work out nicely. This one
will be left naked with just a nice coating of polyurethane.