Tech: SW:ROTJ Freezes after 20 minutes

I have a Star Wars Return of the Jedi Machine that plays great for the first
10-30 minutes it is on, then after then it freezes and the lower 1/2 of the
screen goes wonky (red scatter lines and no graphics). On/off/on/off and it
will work maybe and then freeze again soon after.

Any info or referrals on who repairs these? Thanks. -Joshua

--
Remove NOSPAM from address when emailing a reply (atariNOSPAM@twcny.rr.com)

check your power supply output 5v first, what is it at first turn on. Then
measure again when it freezes and see if it dropped below 5v. Also check
for ac ripple on the 5v. Might not be your game board at all.

Trin
"Atari_2600" <atariNOSPAM@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a Star Wars Return of the Jedi Machine that plays great for the
>first 10-30 minutes it is on, then after then it freezes and the lower 1/2
>of the screen goes wonky (red scatter lines and no graphics). On/off/on/off
>and it will work maybe and then freeze again soon after.
>
> Any info or referrals on who repairs these? Thanks. -Joshua
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM from address when emailing a reply
> (atariNOSPAM@twcny.rr.com)

I would agree with the heat guess, but I would also think that you're
looking at a borderline RAM or maybe MPU... so, once it heats up a
little, it fails. If you try to reboot it too soon, it won't work...
if you let it sit for a bit, it will cool down enough to work for a
while, then crash.

Definitely make sure the fan is working (I think I remember one being
in there), but also, let it run till it hangs... then feel the chips
(try the bigger ones first) to see if any are particularly hot to the
touch. If you find one, that's probably the culprit.

ALso, yes, definitely check the voltages... try to test them at the
edge connector, or the MPU if you think you can do it without shorting
pins together. You want just over 5VDC at the board... like 5.1VDC,
although some boards are finicky and want a little more. My 720 is
like that... that's a System 1 game... isn't RotJ also System 1?
Hrmmm....