Power Supply for Dell Dimension 4100

I just purchased a new Antec power supply for my Dimension, so it would
support the
two new 300 Gig Maxtor drives. The old one worked but is labeled as 200
watts.
I purchased a 430 watt Antec, it fits just fine. But there is no power at
all coming from
it when installed. Per the email from Antec, their supplies only work with
newer Dell
Computers (less than 18 months old). I need to get a "Dell Power Supply
Adapter"
which they do not sell. They suggested E-Bay. I have not been able to find
such item.
I have replaced the supply with the original Dell, and things work fine,
with the extra
drives unplugged. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

It is quite likely the 200 watt power supply (because it is
properly labeled) is equivalent to a 300 watt power supply
hyped by computer assemblers. It would be difficult to fine a
desktop system that needs more than 300 watts - also known as
less than 250 watts using the standards that the Dell supply
was measured by.

See those little incandescent light bulbs on a Christmas
tree? Your additional disk drives increased power consumption
by about that trivial little amount. You must first learn to
do the numbers before making a conclusion. That original Dell
supply was probably more than sufficient. The 430 watt Antec
supply may be almost two times in excess of what is required.
If you disagree, then post relevant numbers. Either numbers
from the peripherals or numbers from a 3.5 digit multimeter.

Steve Kroeker wrote:
> I just purchased a new Antec power supply for my Dimension, so it
> would support the two new 300 Gig Maxtor drives. The old one worked
> but is labeled as 200 watts. I purchased a 430 watt Antec, it fits
> just fine. But there is no power at all coming from it when
> installed. Per the email from Antec, their supplies only work with
> newer Dell Computers (less than 18 months old). I need to get a
> "Dell Power Supply Adapter" which they do not sell. They suggested
> E-Bay. I have not been able to find such item. I have replaced the
> supply with the original Dell, and things work fine, with the extra
> drives unplugged. Any tips would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Steve

Right. Dell Pentium II and Pentium III systems use a fake-ATX power connector.
The connector LOOKS like ATX, but the voltages on the various wires in the
pinout are different. And, of course, the motherboard power connector has the
same fake-ATX pinout. Fortunately, Dell (or whomever had the brain cramp to do
this idiocy) implemented the voltages in such a way that the motherboard does
not get fried when a real ATX power supply is hooked up.

Examine the wire leads to the front panel buttons. There is the possibility
that the easiest way to fix the problem is to substitute a comparable Intel-made
ATX motherboard.

I have not run across the widget that converts ATX to Dell-ATX pinout.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:19:28 GMT, "Steve Kroeker" <s.kroeker@verizon.net> wrote:

>I just purchased a new Antec power supply for my Dimension, so it would
>support the
>two new 300 Gig Maxtor drives. The old one worked but is labeled as 200
>watts.
>I purchased a 430 watt Antec, it fits just fine. But there is no power at
>all coming from
>it when installed. Per the email from Antec, their supplies only work with
>newer Dell
>Computers (less than 18 months old). I need to get a "Dell Power Supply
>Adapter"
>which they do not sell. They suggested E-Bay. I have not been able to find
>such item.
>I have replaced the supply with the original Dell, and things work fine,
>with the extra
>drives unplugged. Any tips would be appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Steve

the dimension 4100 has a non standard power supply. the atx connector is
wired differently then what is the industry standard and so it will not
work. fortunately it will not hurt your motherboard for having connected
it. a replacement motherboard is a bad idea since the original power supply
is perfectly good and that the front panel connectors from your motherboard
are also non standard. get a new case if you want a new motherboard... but
even considering a motherboard as a solution to a powersupply issues seems
inappropriate to me and can lead to replacing even more parts (memory, cpu,
etc). should you ever have a problem with the dell power supply a
replacement can be purchased from dell for $29. i have never seen one of
the dimension 4100, dxxx, txxx, mxxx series power supplies die. on the
other hand i have seen the newer generation dell power supplies die after
blackouts/lighting storms (which is not too shabby either - protected the
motherboard in each case).