Access Violation using partition Magic 8

Tags:
  • Support
  • Partition Magic
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
April 26, 2005 8:16:58 PM

I went to make a copy of my 'C" drive using Partition Magic 8 & got the
following message. "Access violation at address 0056334f in module
PMagict.exe. Read of Address 000016."

Do you have any idea as to what this message means? Is it a XP Pro message?

Thanks in advance

More about : access violation partition magic

April 26, 2005 8:16:59 PM

Cannot copy the system disk as there are system files in use on the drive!

Have to do this using the boot disk set and run under DOS [that is if PM
still uses Caldera DOS these days].

"Videot" wrote:

> I went to make a copy of my 'C" drive using Partition Magic 8 & got the
> following message. "Access violation at address 0056334f in module
> PMagict.exe. Read of Address 000016."
>
> Do you have any idea as to what this message means? Is it a XP Pro message?
>
> Thanks in advance

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:33:21 AM

This is the third post you have started on the same topic. No feedback from
you on the previous two posts.

Brian

"Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>I went to make a copy of my 'C" drive using Partition Magic 8 & got the
>following message. "Access violation at address 0056334f in module
>PMagict.exe. Read of Address 000016."
>
> Do you have any idea as to what this message means? Is it a XP Pro
> message?
>
> Thanks in advance
April 27, 2005 12:28:18 PM

Brian K wrote:
> This is the third post you have started on the same topic. No feedback from
> you on the previous two posts.
>

> Brian
>

> "Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>I went to make a copy of my 'C" drive using Partition Magic 8 & got the
>>following message. "Access violation at address 0056334f in module
>>PMagict.exe. Read of Address 000016."
>>
>>Do you have any idea as to what this message means? Is it a XP Pro
>>message?
>>
>>Thanks in advance

I'm still getting the same error message. I have done a format of the
drive in question using both Windows & Partition Magic 8. I even
changed the settings in PM8 from Primary to Logical as well but this
changed nothing since I still get the same error message.

I have my settings to be able to see hidden files but PM8 tells be that
I still have 64MB of used space on the newly formatted drive,if there is
anything on this drive I can't see it. It appears that because the
system seems to think I have data on the drive it won't allow be to copy
my 'c' drive onto it.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:35:31 PM

Delete the partition and make it unallocated space. The copy to the
unallocated space.

> Brian K wrote:
>> This is the third post you have started on the same topic. No feedback
>> from you on the previous two posts.
>>

>> Brian
>>

>> "Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>I went to make a copy of my 'C" drive using Partition Magic 8 & got the
>>>following message. "Access violation at address 0056334f in module
>>>PMagict.exe. Read of Address 000016."
>>>
>>>Do you have any idea as to what this message means? Is it a XP Pro
>>>message?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance
>>

> I'm still getting the same error message. I have done a format of the
> drive in question using both Windows & Partition Magic 8. I even changed
> the settings in PM8 from Primary to Logical as well but this changed
> nothing since I still get the same error message.
>
> I have my settings to be able to see hidden files but PM8 tells be that I
> still have 64MB of used space on the newly formatted drive,if there is
> anything on this drive I can't see it. It appears that because the system
> seems to think I have data on the drive it won't allow be to copy my 'c'
> drive onto it.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:35:32 PM

Brian K wrote:
> Delete the partition and make it unallocated space. The copy to the
> unallocated space.
>

> "Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Brian K wrote:
>>
>>>This is the third post you have started on the same topic. No feedback
>>>from you on the previous two posts.
>>>

>>>Brian
>>>

>>>"Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

>>I'm still getting the same error message. I have done a format of the
>>drive in question using both Windows & Partition Magic 8. I even changed
>>the settings in PM8 from Primary to Logical as well but this changed
>>nothing since I still get the same error message.
>>
>>I have my settings to be able to see hidden files but PM8 tells be that I
>>still have 64MB of used space on the newly formatted drive,if there is
>>anything on this drive I can't see it. It appears that because the system
>>seems to think I have data on the drive it won't allow be to copy my 'c'
>>drive onto it.

I did what you suggested and at least something happened. It remains to
be seen if what happened is correct or not. I made the partition
unallocated space then used the copy facility of PM8. It accepted this
command OK but gave the warning that the copied partition might not be
usable. I told it to make the copy anyway & the program told me that to
proceed it had to first reboot. Is this normal?

During the reboot procedure it stopped to ask if I wanted version of
Windows XP #1 or Windows WP #2. It seems that I have windows on the
machine twice which I suppose is correct since we made a copy of the
original drive. When I selected version #1 Windows opened up OK. I
then went to My Computer to see if indeed the new copy of the 'c' drive
was identical to that of the original, & it was. It also said that the
files on the copy were "hidden". Once again is this correct.

The program also suggested that I make a new copy of the rescue disks
which I presume would be needed if I have future problems with 'c' drive
& wish to replace it with the copy. Is this correct?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:39:30 PM

> I did what you suggested and at least something happened. It remains to
> be seen if what happened is correct or not. I made the partition
> unallocated space then used the copy facility of PM8. It accepted this
> command OK but gave the warning that the copied partition might not be
> usable. I told it to make the copy anyway & the program told me that to
> proceed it had to first reboot. Is this normal?

Yes

> During the reboot procedure it stopped to ask if I wanted version of
> Windows XP #1 or Windows WP #2. It seems that I have windows on the
> machine twice which I suppose is correct since we made a copy of the
> original drive. When I selected version #1 Windows opened up OK. I then
> went to My Computer to see if indeed the new copy of the 'c' drive was
> identical to that of the original, & it was. It also said that the files
> on the copy were "hidden". Once again is this correct.

Go into Partition Magic again, right click on the new Win XP (on your second
HD), select Advanced and tick Hide Partition. Apply.
You don't want it available at all. You won't then be able to see it from
Windows. You won't have two choices at bootup either.

> The program also suggested that I make a new copy of the rescue disks
> which I presume would be needed if I have future problems with 'c' drive &
> wish to replace it with the copy. Is this correct?

Don't bother with these.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:47:00 PM

Brian K wrote:
>>I did what you suggested and at least something happened. It remains to
>>be seen if what happened is correct or not. I made the partition
>>unallocated space then used the copy facility of PM8. It accepted this
>>command OK but gave the warning that the copied partition might not be
>>usable. I told it to make the copy anyway & the program told me that to
>>proceed it had to first reboot. Is this normal?
>

> Yes
>

>>During the reboot procedure it stopped to ask if I wanted version of
>>Windows XP #1 or Windows WP #2. It seems that I have windows on the
>>machine twice which I suppose is correct since we made a copy of the
>>original drive. When I selected version #1 Windows opened up OK. I then
>>went to My Computer to see if indeed the new copy of the 'c' drive was
>>identical to that of the original, & it was. It also said that the files
>>on the copy were "hidden". Once again is this correct.
>

> Go into Partition Magic again, right click on the new Win XP (on your second
> HD), select Advanced and tick Hide Partition. Apply.
> You don't want it available at all. You won't then be able to see it from
> Windows. You won't have two choices at bootup either.
>

>>The program also suggested that I make a new copy of the rescue disks
>>which I presume would be needed if I have future problems with 'c' drive &
>>wish to replace it with the copy. Is this correct?
>

> Don't bother with these.

Thanks for that info. I'm assuming that every time I repeat a backup in
future that the new copy will overwrite the copy now on my second drive.
Is This correct?

I just hope I don't ever have to ever use the backup.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 10:27:20 PM

">>

> Thanks for that info. I'm assuming that every time I repeat a backup in
> future that the new copy will overwrite the copy now on my second drive.
> Is This correct?
>
> I just hope I don't ever have to ever use the backup.

You will have to delete the partition each time to create unallocated space
first. Good luck.
!