Internet connection problem

April 26, 2005 9:46:49 AM

Is there a way to determine what program is calling for a dial-up
connection? I have an uncontrolled dial-up connection on only a
portion of the user accounts installed on my XP Home computer. XP was
recently loaded onto a reformatted hard drive. I can't figure out why
the dial-up connection is initiated as soon as these accounts are
logged on. There is no adware or spyware issue. There is no program
shortcut in the start-up folder. Does anyone know of a way to control
this? Only need connection when called for by IE or similar program -
setting to disconnect when program closed also not working. Is there
a shareware/freeware program that can tell me what is calling for the
connection?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
April 26, 2005 1:58:36 PM

Have you tried changing the connection setting in IE?
Open IE -- Tools -- Internet Options. Click the 'Connections' tab.
Select 'Never Dial a connection'. Click OK to save. Do same in each
account that has same problem.

--
pip22
pip22's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=11551

I finally figured this out with some help from Chuck at the
windowsxp.help_and_support news group. He pointed me to a couple of
great freeware system tools called "Filemon" and "Process Explorer".
It turned out to be the Google task bar search tool I had installed,
but forgot to configure the settings properly on the new computer
account and subsequent test accounts. Settings on the Google tool had
been properly tweeked on the other computer accounts, but I had
forgotten to do it on the "visitor" account that was set up for
friends to access the web, etc. Once I unchecked the search window
option on that Google tool, the uncontrolled dial-up connection
problem went away.

!