Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have recently upgraded to XP & have been prompted by my scanner to upgrade
the drivers.

They recommend "creating a checkpoint using the System Restore tool to
create a restore point prior to installing any new drivers".

I am not a computer wiz. Is this procedure necessary? What does it do?

bar

System Restore is a component of Windows XP Professional that you can use to
restore your computer to a previous state, if a problem occurs, without
losing your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing
history, drawings, favorites, or e-mail).

System Restore monitors changes to the system and some application files,
and it automatically creates easily identified restore points. These restore
points allow you to revert the system to a previous time. They are created
daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an
application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own
restore points at any time.

Notes

"Dave" wrote:

> I have recently upgraded to XP & have been prompted by my scanner to upgrade
> the drivers.
>
> They recommend "creating a checkpoint using the System Restore tool to
> create a restore point prior to installing any new drivers".
>
> I am not a computer wiz. Is this procedure necessary? What does it do?

Hi Dave,

Absolutely! A restore point should be created just before installing
any new hardware or software. Some installations do it automatically.

Here's a description of System Restore
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html

--
Regards,