Unmountable Boot Volume Error

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that I recently got this error on. Windows
won't start in any mode including safe mode. From what I have heard this
might have happened because of a Windows update. Is that correct? I
haven't made any hardware or software changes to the machine. I know how to
re-install my operating system but I was hoping there was a way to get some
files off of it first. Is there a way to do this? Or can I only re-install
and move on? Thanks for any and all help.

Mike
1 answer Last reply
More about unmountable boot volume error

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site - left hand
    column(ED):

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Mike Lambert" <mikel@mpmonline.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that I recently got this error on. Windows
    >won't start in any mode including safe mode. From what I have heard this
    >might have happened because of a Windows update. Is that correct? I
    >haven't made any hardware or software changes to the machine. I know how
    >to re-install my operating system but I was hoping there was a way to get
    >some files off of it first. Is there a way to do this? Or can I only
    >re-install and move on? Thanks for any and all help.
    >
    > Mike

Windows XP