Mapped network drives sporadically dissapear XP Proff SP1

April 26, 2005 12:16:02 PM

I've had a few cases of XP users (proff/SP1) who randomly drop a network
drive to our Active Directory DFS. Their connections aren't dropping and
other drives to the DFS are maintained but one will dissapear from explorer
and my computer while still being maintained in the history. So if you try to
remap the system shows it as still being connected. I can easily get around
this by killing the drive with NET USE in a COMMAND session and allowing it
to remap at login, but I cant see why this would randomly happen in the first
place, especially to only 1 drive out of many.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Grouchy
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:46:01 PM

"disappear from explorer and my computer while still being maintained in the
history" please specify this.
You said other mapped drives don't disappear, this happens only to certain
drives; please verify when this issue occurs:
- Do you face this problem only on drives mapped via DFS link?
- Do they disappear only within the GUI? Are they still enumerated in 'net
use' when disappeared from the GUI?
- Can you access the 'disappeared' drives via GUI / CMD?
- Is there an entry in object manager for the drives (Winobj v2.15 from
sysinternals.com shows this)?

Cheers,
Stefan

!