Configure MN-700 as an access point to my existing network..

I'm currently using an ethernet (wired) router to connect to the internet
(Cisco 800 Router if that makes a difference). I have another computer in my
basement with a wireless G PCI adapter (MN-730). I want to use the MN-700 as
an access point from the router so that I can connect to the internet
wirelessly from the computer in my basement. (i.e. I want to make my existing
network wireless.)

When I set up the base station as an access point I'm not able to connect to
the internet on the computer in my basement. How am I supposed to be
connecting the wires? Currently I have the broadband modem going to the
router, and then an ethernet cable from a port on the the wired router going
to a port on the wireless router. On the wireless access point should the
ethernet cable be plugged into one of the available ports or into the "to
modem" port?

Once I have all the connections correct how should I configure the base
station? Aside from changing the mode to "Access Point Mode" is there
anything else I need to configure in the Base Station Management Tool? Is
there anything I need to configure on the ethernet router as well?

Please help me with any info you can!

James, I had my system set up similar to yours last year. I had a
Speedstream router on my cable BB connection, When I added wireless, I
connected my MN-700 to port 1 but set it up as a router. The 700 acquired
an address from the Speedream and assigned a 192.168.x.x address to mine and
my sons laptop. I used WEP and MAC filtering and had no problems.

Ron

"James C" <James C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently using an ethernet (wired) router to connect to the internet
> (Cisco 800 Router if that makes a difference). I have another computer in
> my
> basement with a wireless G PCI adapter (MN-730). I want to use the MN-700
> as
> an access point from the router so that I can connect to the internet
> wirelessly from the computer in my basement. (i.e. I want to make my
> existing
> network wireless.)
>
> When I set up the base station as an access point I'm not able to connect
> the internet on the computer in my basement. How am I supposed to be
> connecting the wires? Currently I have the broadband modem going to the
> router, and then an ethernet cable from a port on the the wired router
> going
> to a port on the wireless router. On the wireless access point should the
> ethernet cable be plugged into one of the available ports or into the "to
> modem" port?
>
> Once I have all the connections correct how should I configure the base
> station? Aside from changing the mode to "Access Point Mode" is there
> anything else I need to configure in the Base Station Management Tool? Is
> there anything I need to configure on the ethernet router as well?
>
> Please help me with any info you can!

So do you go from port 1 on the router to port 1 on the MN-700? Or is it
port 1 from the router to "to modem" on MN-700?

And in the Base Station Management tool which option would I select to
connect to the internet...static, dynamic, or PPPoE?

Thanks again,
James

"Ron(Fla)" wrote:

> James, I had my system set up similar to yours last year. I had a
> Speedstream router on my cable BB connection, When I added wireless, I
> connected my MN-700 to port 1 but set it up as a router. The 700 acquired
> an address from the Speedream and assigned a 192.168.x.x address to mine and
> my sons laptop. I used WEP and MAC filtering and had no problems.
>
> Ron
>
> "James C" <James C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm currently using an ethernet (wired) router to connect to the internet
> > (Cisco 800 Router if that makes a difference). I have another computer in
> > my
> > basement with a wireless G PCI adapter (MN-730). I want to use the MN-700
> > as
> > an access point from the router so that I can connect to the internet
> > wirelessly from the computer in my basement. (i.e. I want to make my
> > existing
> > network wireless.)
> >
> > When I set up the base station as an access point I'm not able to connect
> > the internet on the computer in my basement. How am I supposed to be
> > connecting the wires? Currently I have the broadband modem going to the
> > router, and then an ethernet cable from a port on the the wired router
> > going
> > to a port on the wireless router. On the wireless access point should the
> > ethernet cable be plugged into one of the available ports or into the "to
> > modem" port?
> >
> > Once I have all the connections correct how should I configure the base
> > station? Aside from changing the mode to "Access Point Mode" is there
> > anything else I need to configure in the Base Station Management Tool? Is
> > there anything I need to configure on the ethernet router as well?
> >
> > Please help me with any info you can!

Port 1 on router to modem on 700 and dynamic. I also had to clone my
desktop mac address into my speedstream so the cable modem thought it was
looking at my desktop.