Configure MN-700 as an access point to my existing network..

I'm currently using an ethernet (wired) router to connect to the internet
(Cisco 800 Router if that makes a difference). I have another computer in my
basement with a wireless G PCI adapter (MN-730). I want to use the MN-700 as
an access point from the router so that I can connect to the internet
wirelessly from the computer in my basement. (i.e. I want to make my existing
network wireless.)

When I set up the base station as an access point I'm not able to connect to
the internet on the computer in my basement. How am I supposed to be
connecting the wires? Currently I have the broadband modem going to the
router, and then an ethernet cable from a port on the the wired router going
to a port on the wireless router. On the wireless access point should the
ethernet cable be plugged into one of the available ports or into the "to
modem" port?

Once I have all the connections correct how should I configure the base
station? Aside from changing the mode to "Access Point Mode" is there
anything else I need to configure in the Base Station Management Tool? Is
there anything I need to configure on the ethernet router as well?

Please help me with any info you can!
3 answers Last reply
More about configure access point existing network

    James, I had my system set up similar to yours last year. I had a
    Speedstream router on my cable BB connection, When I added wireless, I
    connected my MN-700 to port 1 but set it up as a router. The 700 acquired
    an address from the Speedream and assigned a 192.168.x.x address to mine and
    my sons laptop. I used WEP and MAC filtering and had no problems.

    Ron

    "James C" <James C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm currently using an ethernet (wired) router to connect to the internet
    > (Cisco 800 Router if that makes a difference). I have another computer in
    > my
    > basement with a wireless G PCI adapter (MN-730). I want to use the MN-700
    > as
    > an access point from the router so that I can connect to the internet
    > wirelessly from the computer in my basement. (i.e. I want to make my
    > existing
    > network wireless.)
    >
    > When I set up the base station as an access point I'm not able to connect
    > the internet on the computer in my basement. How am I supposed to be
    > connecting the wires? Currently I have the broadband modem going to the
    > router, and then an ethernet cable from a port on the the wired router
    > going
    > to a port on the wireless router. On the wireless access point should the
    > ethernet cable be plugged into one of the available ports or into the "to
    > modem" port?
    >
    > Once I have all the connections correct how should I configure the base
    > station? Aside from changing the mode to "Access Point Mode" is there
    > anything else I need to configure in the Base Station Management Tool? Is
    > there anything I need to configure on the ethernet router as well?
    >
    > Please help me with any info you can!

    So do you go from port 1 on the router to port 1 on the MN-700? Or is it
    port 1 from the router to "to modem" on MN-700?

    And in the Base Station Management tool which option would I select to
    connect to the internet...static, dynamic, or PPPoE?

    Thanks again,
    James

    "Ron(Fla)" wrote:

    > James, I had my system set up similar to yours last year. I had a
    > Speedstream router on my cable BB connection, When I added wireless, I
    > connected my MN-700 to port 1 but set it up as a router. The 700 acquired
    > an address from the Speedream and assigned a 192.168.x.x address to mine and
    > my sons laptop. I used WEP and MAC filtering and had no problems.
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > "James C" <James C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm currently using an ethernet (wired) router to connect to the internet
    > > (Cisco 800 Router if that makes a difference). I have another computer in
    > > my
    > > basement with a wireless G PCI adapter (MN-730). I want to use the MN-700
    > > as
    > > an access point from the router so that I can connect to the internet
    > > wirelessly from the computer in my basement. (i.e. I want to make my
    > > existing
    > > network wireless.)
    > >
    > > When I set up the base station as an access point I'm not able to connect
    > > the internet on the computer in my basement. How am I supposed to be
    > > connecting the wires? Currently I have the broadband modem going to the
    > > router, and then an ethernet cable from a port on the the wired router
    > > going
    > > to a port on the wireless router. On the wireless access point should the
    > > ethernet cable be plugged into one of the available ports or into the "to
    > > modem" port?
    > >
    > > Once I have all the connections correct how should I configure the base
    > > station? Aside from changing the mode to "Access Point Mode" is there
    > > anything else I need to configure in the Base Station Management Tool? Is
    > > there anything I need to configure on the ethernet router as well?
    > >
    > > Please help me with any info you can!

    Port 1 on router to modem on 700 and dynamic. I also had to clone my
    desktop mac address into my speedstream so the cable modem thought it was
    looking at my desktop.

    > So do you go from port 1 on the router to port 1 on the MN-700? Or is it
    > port 1 from the router to "to modem" on MN-700?
    >
    > And in the Base Station Management tool which option would I select to
    > connect to the internet...static, dynamic, or PPPoE?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > James
    >

    > "Ron(Fla)" wrote:
    >
    >> James, I had my system set up similar to yours last year. I had a
    >> Speedstream router on my cable BB connection, When I added wireless, I
    >> connected my MN-700 to port 1 but set it up as a router. The 700
    >> acquired
    >> an address from the Speedream and assigned a 192.168.x.x address to mine
    >> and
    >> my sons laptop. I used WEP and MAC filtering and had no problems.
    >>
    >> Ron
    >>
    >> "James C" <James C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm currently using an ethernet (wired) router to connect to the
    >> > internet
    >> > (Cisco 800 Router if that makes a difference). I have another computer
    >> > in
    >> > my
    >> > basement with a wireless G PCI adapter (MN-730). I want to use the
    >> > MN-700
    >> > as
    >> > an access point from the router so that I can connect to the internet
    >> > wirelessly from the computer in my basement. (i.e. I want to make my
    >> > existing
    >> > network wireless.)
    >> >
    >> > When I set up the base station as an access point I'm not able to
    >> > connect
    >> > the internet on the computer in my basement. How am I supposed to be
    >> > connecting the wires? Currently I have the broadband modem going to
    >> > the
    >> > router, and then an ethernet cable from a port on the the wired router
    >> > going
    >> > to a port on the wireless router. On the wireless access point should
    >> > the
    >> > ethernet cable be plugged into one of the available ports or into the
    >> > modem" port?
    >> >
    >> > Once I have all the connections correct how should I configure the base
    >> > station? Aside from changing the mode to "Access Point Mode" is there
    >> > anything else I need to configure in the Base Station Management Tool?
    >> > Is
    >> > there anything I need to configure on the ethernet router as well?
    >> >
    >> > Please help me with any info you can!

Routers Ethernet Card Networking