Fluctuating CPU Usage

I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS Antispy.
I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.

Thank you,

Rob
7 answers Last reply
More about fluctuating usage

    Trend Micro (I believe) recently put out an update that was causing
    problems. try disabling system restore, running spyware and virus scans and
    cleaning up the temp file cache then reinstatiing it. May help.
    We had a similar problem with McAfee's recent updates.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
    > Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
    > I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS
    > Antispy.
    > I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
    > could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Rob

    I have completely uninstalled TM and received the same after reboot. I
    reinstalled and did a complete system scan and found nothing. I also ran
    Spyware scans.
    From another similar post I ran "SFC /SCANNOW� This did not help either.

    I am behind a corprate firewall and am running Sygate on my box. I have
    uninstalled that and reinstalled.

    "Peter" wrote:

    > Trend Micro (I believe) recently put out an update that was causing
    > problems. try disabling system restore, running spyware and virus scans and
    > cleaning up the temp file cache then reinstatiing it. May help.
    > We had a similar problem with McAfee's recent updates.
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
    > "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
    > > Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
    > > I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS
    > > Antispy.
    > > I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
    > > could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Rob

    "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
    > Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
    > I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS
    > Antispy.
    > I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
    > could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Rob

    This is completely normal.

    NO IT IS NOT! At idle with nothing open in safe mode the CPU should not be
    fluctuating like that.

    It just started happening last week and I can do nothing with my system now.
    When I open any program the CPU spikes out 100%, 50%, 99%, 60% twice per
    second.

    "Nog" wrote:

    > This is completely normal.

    I found the solution to this issue.

    "me" wrote:

    > I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
    > Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
    > I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS Antispy.
    > I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
    > could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Rob

    Hi,
    what was the solution? i'm having a similar problem.

    Thanks,
    Flea

    "me" wrote:

    > I found the solution to this issue.
    >
    > "me" wrote:
    >
    > > I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
    > > Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
    > > I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS Antispy.
    > > I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
    > > could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Rob

    I checked the device manager and found that it was refreshing about once per
    second. One of my Flat panel monitor was going bad. The USB hub was going
    off line and then back on line. Just blinking about once per second. I
    unplugged the USB cable from the monitor and it started working properly. Of
    coerce it is out of warranty and now has lost the blue color also.

    Hope this helps.

    Me

    "Flea" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > what was the solution? i'm having a similar problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Flea
    >
    > "me" wrote:
    >
    > > I found the solution to this issue.
    > >
    > > "me" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
    > > > Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
    > > > I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS Antispy.
    > > > I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
    > > > could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you,
    > > >
    > > > Rob

Microsoft Explorer CPUs Windows XP