Fluctuating CPU Usage

April 26, 2005 4:18:03 PM

I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS Antispy.
I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.

Thank you,

Rob

More about : fluctuating cpu usage

April 26, 2005 7:42:36 PM

Trend Micro (I believe) recently put out an update that was causing
problems. try disabling system restore, running spyware and virus scans and
cleaning up the temp file cache then reinstatiing it. May help.
We had a similar problem with McAfee's recent updates.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
> Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
> I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS
> Antispy.
> I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
> could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rob

April 26, 2005 7:42:37 PM

I have completely uninstalled TM and received the same after reboot. I
reinstalled and did a complete system scan and found nothing. I also ran
Spyware scans.
From another similar post I ran "SFC /SCANNOW� This did not help either.

I am behind a corprate firewall and am running Sygate on my box. I have
uninstalled that and reinstalled.

"Peter" wrote:

> Trend Micro (I believe) recently put out an update that was causing
> problems. try disabling system restore, running spyware and virus scans and
> cleaning up the temp file cache then reinstatiing it. May help.
> We had a similar problem with McAfee's recent updates.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
> "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
> > Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
> > I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS
> > Antispy.
> > I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
> > could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Rob

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2005 11:46:17 PM

"me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
> Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
> I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS
> Antispy.
> I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
> could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rob

This is completely normal.
April 27, 2005 10:10:03 AM

NO IT IS NOT! At idle with nothing open in safe mode the CPU should not be
fluctuating like that.

It just started happening last week and I can do nothing with my system now.
When I open any program the CPU spikes out 100%, 50%, 99%, 60% twice per
second.

"Nog" wrote:

> This is completely normal.

May 12, 2005 8:04:17 PM

I found the solution to this issue.

"me" wrote:

> I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
> Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
> I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS Antispy.
> I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
> could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rob

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2005 4:48:01 AM

Hi,
what was the solution? i'm having a similar problem.

Thanks,
Flea

"me" wrote:

> I found the solution to this issue.
>
> "me" wrote:
>
> > I have just noticed that my CPU usage is fluctuating about 30% franticly.
> > Explorer.exe is the culprit. If I end explorer the CPU stops fluctuating.
> > I have run a complete Virus scan (Trend micro) and Ad-aware and MS Antispy.
> > I uninstalled about 15 programs and checked my task list and registry. I
> > could find no spy ware or anything out of the ordinary.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Rob

July 5, 2005 10:11:03 AM

I checked the device manager and found that it was refreshing about once per
second. One of my Flat panel monitor was going bad. The USB hub was going
off line and then back on line. Just blinking about once per second. I
unplugged the USB cable from the monitor and it started working properly. Of
coerce it is out of warranty and now has lost the blue color also.

Hope this helps.

Me

!