Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Whats the difference

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 5, 2012 9:53:37 AM

I wanna know what is the difference b/w laptops having operating system DOS or other ?
Dont the laptops with DOS as OS use windows ?

More about : whats difference

a c 571 D Laptop
July 5, 2012 1:14:55 PM

HUGE difference.
DOS - as in FreeDos is NOT Windows 7 (or any other version of Windows for that matter).
FreeDos can have programs that will run in a window but Windows programs don't run in FreeDos. For example, most games run on Windows but won't work in FreeDos.

FreeDos
http://www.freedos.org/

m
l
July 5, 2012 6:06:25 PM

WR2 said:
HUGE difference.
DOS - as in FreeDos is NOT Windows 7 (or any other version of Windows for that matter).
FreeDos can have programs that will run in a window but Windows programs don't run in FreeDos. For example, most games run on Windows but won't work in FreeDos.

FreeDos
http://www.freedos.org/

you wanna say that lenovo or other laptops which have operating system as dos they dont use windows ?
How is that possible ? then whats the point of using intel 2nd generation processors and high memory
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2012 6:48:21 PM

Don't really understand the question. Can't fathom any current laptop (whether from a store or online) running anything other than Windows 7.
m
l
a c 571 D Laptop
July 5, 2012 10:19:49 PM

rahiarain said:
you wanna say that lenovo or other laptops which have operating system as dos they dont use windows ?
How is that possible ? then whats the point of using intel 2nd generation processors and high memory
Windows is an operating system. If a laptop is shipped with DOS or Linux - they don't use Windows.
DOS is not the best choice for an OS in a modern laptop. Linux - also a free OS - is a much better choice IMO. Example: Ubuntu Desktop
Linux does support RAM above 1GB. FreeDos does not (except at extended memory/RAM disk).
m
l
a c 571 D Laptop
July 5, 2012 10:21:21 PM

rahiarain said:
How is that possible ?
It's probably done to make the laptop $70 less expensive. Windows is not 'free'.
m
l
July 6, 2012 7:20:01 AM

WR2 said:
Windows is an operating system. If a laptop is shipped with DOS or Linux - they don't use Windows.
DOS is not the best choice for an OS in a modern laptop. Linux - also a free OS - is a much better choice IMO. Example: Ubuntu Desktop
Linux does support RAM above 1GB. FreeDos does not (except at extended memory/RAM disk).

i plan to purchase a laptop. i checked this one IBM LENOVO B560 CORE i5 but its specs says operating system DOS. i will be able to use DOS only ?
m
l
July 6, 2012 7:23:00 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
Don't really understand the question. Can't fathom any current laptop (whether from a store or online) running anything other than Windows 7.

Check the specs of IBM LENOVO B560 CORE i5 it says OS is DOS, cant i use windows in it ?
m
l

Best solution

July 6, 2012 8:55:03 AM

Buy any Windows version disk and you can upgrade it on DOS of your laptop. very simple and all of us are doing that in any DOS/No-OS based laptops.

DOS is the minimum free OS provided, you can upgrade with Linux/Windows of your choice.
a c 571 D Laptop
July 6, 2012 10:20:27 AM

rahiarain said:
rahiarain said:
i plan to purchase a laptop. i checked this one IBM LENOVO B560 CORE i5 but its specs says operating system DOS. i will be able to use DOS only ?
Lenovo B560 is 1st Gen Core i5
Lenovo B570 is 2nd Gen Core i5

Laptop does not care what OS you use. B560/B570 can use FreeDos/Linux/Windows.
m
l
a c 571 D Laptop
July 6, 2012 10:33:13 AM

Windows 7 will add about Rs 4000 to the cost of any laptop if it's added at the factory.

m
l
a b D Laptop
July 6, 2012 12:17:59 PM

Ah - I see now. They just do it be able to sell it for cheaper. You won't be able to run any modern software on it until you buy Windows and install it.
m
l
July 6, 2012 12:40:04 PM

you got it... :bounce: 
m
l
July 6, 2012 7:56:39 PM

that means if it is stated that OS is DOS i will have to pay extra to get windows installed. correct ?
Actually this is my first direct confrontation with the laptops so i might read slow to understand
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 6, 2012 9:27:31 PM

You got it - extra for Windows.
m
l
July 7, 2012 4:55:35 AM

Best answer selected by rahiarain.
m
l
!