What Your RAM Goes Through: the Die-hard Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Nice to know that GEIL is a quality brand. Ram from GEIL is pretty famous here in holland. They are recommended, and are also not so expensive. I've been using 3 sets of GEIL 4gb (2x2) for 2 years, and not a single one failed. While my kingston did.

G

Geil means 'horny' in dutch, and something like 'super' or 'cool' or 'top' in German.
It's probably a german product, for the name really sucks!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Geil means 'horny' in dutch, and something like 'super' or 'cool' or 'top' in German.It's probably a german product, for the name really sucks![/citation]
Or maybe they're just technosexuals?

sorry but my shop front sells there basic stuff and like corsair and other "basic" models, there ram failed at a rate of maybe ~15% in 6 months compared to kingston at less then ~5%

ill stick to kingston thankyou

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]sorry but my shop front sells there basic stuff and like corsair and other "basic" models, there ram failed at a rate of maybe ~15% in 6 months compared to kingston at less then ~5%ill stick to kingston thank you[/citation]

Seems odd to see a failure rate that high. I'm thinking it's either a very bad case of you got all the bad ones, or it's user error. I speak of course of the dreaded static monster.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
While I currently have Corsair memory in my system, Geil is my favorite brand because they always offer quality RAM at reasonable prices. This isn't always true at the highest end (as you can clearly see from THG's recent test of high end DDR3 kits), but unlike other memory manufacturers, it seems with Geil you buy the cheapest part and still get the same great quality.

[citation][nom]lucuis[/nom]Seems odd to see a failure rate that high. I'm thinking it's either a very bad case of you got all the bad ones, or it's user error. I speak of course of the dreaded static monster.[/citation]

All normal, and we used to stock TwinMos ram till it became epic - some of there laptop DDR1 would have a 50 50 chance of working it was that bad, and no not static or anything, otherwise the kingston sticks would come back in the same proportions etc

Also see bad batches of generic (lemel, transcend), but super generic stuff like rambo (LOL) has a rate similar to kingston - doing so well concidering

We know how companies products behave simply by seeing hundreds of machines being built and what comes back - when you see the invoice of whats in a system you get the general idea of what is "most likely wrong" just like when nvidia (or its partners) had bad batches of products - 8600, 8400, and lately the 9800GTX+'s all failing - you start to see a patern etc.

[citation][nom]zendax[/nom]While I currently have Corsair memory in my system, Geil is my favorite brand because they always offer quality RAM at reasonable prices. This isn't always true at the highest end (as you can clearly see from THG's recent test of high end DDR3 kits), but unlike other memory manufacturers, it seems with Geil you buy the cheapest part and still get the same great quality.[/citation]

Have had great luck with high end Corsair, not with there low end stuff although most of there generic stuff is most likely rebadged, and we sell it as parts more then in systems so more chance the customer f***s it (especially around that area - everyone claims to know something about hardware, where as they dont know squat)

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
It would be interesting to see the percentages of RAM chips that fail in this tester. Also, what do they do with them to send them back through again? Are those the ones folks here got that died in 6 months?

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I've got a 2G set,(4x512) of GEIL that I bought back when 2G was overkill. I've lent them out and got them returned a couple of times and they just keep plugging along. Currently in a Linux machine brightening up the interior with orange heat spreaders.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Only GeIL and Kingston have those machines? That must make them very expensive if only two companies in the world use them. Or is it more likely that the chip manufacturers themselves normally use these machines? Companies like Crucial and Corsair may have the fab plant run the chips through this setup, while Kingston and GeIL decided to do it themselves?

more likely kingston and geil dont make there own memory chips and rather just select the PCB, memory modules its self and the timings to sell them at etc like most companies (other the the big ones - Samsung etc)

flinxsl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Only GeIL and Kingston have those machines? That must make them very expensive if only two companies in the world use them. Or is it more likely that the chip manufacturers themselves normally use these machines? Companies like Crucial and Corsair may have the fab plant run the chips through this setup, while Kingston and GeIL decided to do it themselves?[/citation]

almost every integrated circuit goes through this kind of testing before it is sold

Status
Not open for further replies.