Trying to Format "C:" Drive

Tags:
  • Format
  • Windows XP
April 26, 2005 9:02:01 PM

My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble formating.
I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning comes
up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It says
cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i got
it.
Thanks all

More about : format drive

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:25:10 AM

You CAN'T format the primary boot drive from WITHIN Windows.. if your
computer was pre-installed with Win XP, consult your manual or contact the
vendor for recovery information specific for your make and model..

IF you have a generic XP CD, go to this website..

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

Michael has thoughtfully placed a menu down the left hand side of the web
page..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Troubled User" <Troubled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 3EC52B9-DDB0-481D-9669-44788D87293A@microsoft.com...
> My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble
> formating.
> I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
> say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by
> another
> process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning
> comes
> up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It
> says
> cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
>
> Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i
> got
> it.
> Thanks all
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:22:31 AM

If you are trying to format C: from a Command Prompt within Windows It
can't be done. You are asking Xp to destroy
itself. Though XP maybe stupid at times it's not that stupid. If you
have a WinXP CD, go into the Bios and select cdrom
drive as first boot device. Then boot with the CD. During the Install
Procedure it will ask you if you want to format.
If you would like to see what the Progressive Install Screens look like
check here.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.h...

"Troubled User" <Troubled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 3EC52B9-DDB0-481D-9669-44788D87293A@microsoft.com...
> My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble
> formating.
> I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
> say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by
> another
> process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning
> comes
> up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It
> says
> cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
>
> Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i
> got
> it.
> Thanks all
April 27, 2005 4:22:32 AM

Thanks that answers that! One more question. Do i have to back up anything
besides my docs and pics? Or will everything be back to the way i got it
after i reformat and reinstall windows?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> If you are trying to format C: from a Command Prompt within Windows It
> can't be done. You are asking Xp to destroy
> itself. Though XP maybe stupid at times it's not that stupid. If you
> have a WinXP CD, go into the Bios and select cdrom
> drive as first boot device. Then boot with the CD. During the Install
> Procedure it will ask you if you want to format.
> If you would like to see what the Progressive Install Screens look like
> check here.
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.h...
>

> "Troubled User" <Troubled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 3EC52B9-DDB0-481D-9669-44788D87293A@microsoft.com...
> > My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble
> > formating.
> > I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
> > say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by
> > another
> > process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning
> > comes
> > up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It
> > says
> > cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
> >
> > Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i
> > got
> > it.
> > Thanks all

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:07:08 AM

After you format and do a clean install of WinXP you are basically
starting over. So, all your programs will have to be
reinstalled as well as all the XP Updates. Pain in the Butt. Look into
Disk Image Software such as Norton Ghost or
Acronis True Image. You can make a complete image of your partition or
hard drive and if you have problems again it's
just a matter of installing the image. It takes minutes instead of
hours.
"Troubled User" <Troubled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 3EC52B9-DDB0-481D-9669-44788D87293A@microsoft.com...
> My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble
> formating.
> I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
> say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by
> another
> process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning
> comes
> up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It
> says
> cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
>
> Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i
> got
> it.
> Thanks all
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:38:10 PM

Thanks all. I have fixed the problem and everything is working great now.

!