Trying to Format "C:" Drive

My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble formating.
I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning comes
up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It says
cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i got
it.
Thanks all
5 answers Last reply
More about trying format drive

    You CAN'T format the primary boot drive from WITHIN Windows.. if your
    computer was pre-installed with Win XP, consult your manual or contact the
    vendor for recovery information specific for your make and model..

    IF you have a generic XP CD, go to this website..

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

    Michael has thoughtfully placed a menu down the left hand side of the web
    page..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Troubled User" <Troubled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble
    > formating.
    > I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
    > say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by
    > another
    > process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning
    > comes
    > up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It
    > says
    > cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
    >
    > Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i
    > got
    > it.
    > Thanks all

    If you are trying to format C: from a Command Prompt within Windows It
    can't be done. You are asking Xp to destroy
    itself. Though XP maybe stupid at times it's not that stupid. If you
    have a WinXP CD, go into the Bios and select cdrom
    drive as first boot device. Then boot with the CD. During the Install
    Procedure it will ask you if you want to format.
    If you would like to see what the Progressive Install Screens look like
    check here.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

    "Troubled User" <Troubled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble
    > formating.
    > I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
    > say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by
    > another
    > process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning
    > comes
    > up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It
    > says
    > cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
    >
    > Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i
    > got
    > it.
    > Thanks all

    Thanks that answers that! One more question. Do i have to back up anything
    besides my docs and pics? Or will everything be back to the way i got it
    after i reformat and reinstall windows?

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > If you are trying to format C: from a Command Prompt within Windows It
    > can't be done. You are asking Xp to destroy
    > itself. Though XP maybe stupid at times it's not that stupid. If you
    > have a WinXP CD, go into the Bios and select cdrom
    > drive as first boot device. Then boot with the CD. During the Install
    > Procedure it will ask you if you want to format.
    > If you would like to see what the Progressive Install Screens look like
    > check here.
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm
    >

    > "Troubled User" <Troubled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble
    > > formating.
    > > I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
    > > say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by
    > > another
    > > process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning
    > > comes
    > > up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It
    > > says
    > > cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
    > >
    > > Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i
    > > got
    > > it.
    > > Thanks all

    After you format and do a clean install of WinXP you are basically
    starting over. So, all your programs will have to be
    reinstalled as well as all the XP Updates. Pain in the Butt. Look into
    Disk Image Software such as Norton Ghost or
    Acronis True Image. You can make a complete image of your partition or
    hard drive and if you have problems again it's
    just a matter of installing the image. It takes minutes instead of
    hours.
    "Troubled User" <Troubled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble
    > formating.
    > I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
    > say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by
    > another
    > process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning
    > comes
    > up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It
    > says
    > cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
    >
    > Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i
    > got
    > it.
    > Thanks all

    Thanks all. I have fixed the problem and everything is working great now.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > After you format and do a clean install of WinXP you are basically
    > starting over. So, all your programs will have to be
    > reinstalled as well as all the XP Updates. Pain in the Butt. Look into
    > Disk Image Software such as Norton Ghost or
    > Acronis True Image. You can make a complete image of your partition or
    > hard drive and if you have problems again it's
    > just a matter of installing the image. It takes minutes instead of
    > hours.
    > "Troubled User" <Troubled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My comp is full of junk. I want to start over. I am having trouble
    > > formating.
    > > I go to MSDOS and type in Format C: then it says Warning etc. Proceed. I
    > > say yes. It says format cannot run because the volume is in use by
    > > another
    > > process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Another Warning
    > > comes
    > > up. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? I say yes. It
    > > says
    > > cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
    > >
    > > Any one know what to do?. I want my comp back to the way it was when i
    > > got
    > > it.
    > > Thanks all

Format Windows XP