Data Execution Prevention? Seems to keep coming up?

April 27, 2005 12:36:45 AM

I bought a new computer, it seems I am gettting a lot of Date Execution
Prevention.
To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.
Windows Explorere,
MS corp.
I don't recall getting this with XP before. Should I turn it off? getting
aggravating at times.
thanks bruce
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:00:51 AM

What sites are you visiting? DEP is used to prevent executing code when a
buffer overrun occurs in memory - in English, it prevents a hacker from
sending malicious code at the end of a data transmission that exceeds the
length of the buffer used to store the data.
Simplified example:
Say the buffer is 18 bytes (characters) in length, but a hacker knowing
anything past the 18 bytes will be executed, so he/she creates a specially
crafted command so that after the 18 bytes, the system is instructed to run
the command "del /f/s/q c:\windows\*.*" - so poof all your windows folder
files are gone - with DEP active, this type of specially crafted command
theoretically won't execute and DEP will shutdown the offending program.
http://www.msn.comdel /f/s/q c:\windows\*.*

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote in message
news:o FjDwEsSFHA.3244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I bought a new computer, it seems I am gettting a lot of Date Execution
>Prevention.
> To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.
> Windows Explorere,
> MS corp.
> I don't recall getting this with XP before. Should I turn it off? getting
> aggravating at times.
> thanks bruce

April 27, 2005 9:18:19 AM

hi
I'll have to pay closer attention next time. Usually I am doing some video
editing. I believe it has happened whether I am online or not, and any
programs I am using are well know companies

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:%23xR6xzsSFHA.3228@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What sites are you visiting? DEP is used to prevent executing code when a
> buffer overrun occurs in memory - in English, it prevents a hacker from
> sending malicious code at the end of a data transmission that exceeds the
> length of the buffer used to store the data.
> Simplified example:
> Say the buffer is 18 bytes (characters) in length, but a hacker knowing
> anything past the 18 bytes will be executed, so he/she creates a specially
> crafted command so that after the 18 bytes, the system is instructed to
> run the command "del /f/s/q c:\windows\*.*" - so poof all your windows
> folder files are gone - with DEP active, this type of specially crafted
> command theoretically won't execute and DEP will shutdown the offending
> program.
> http://www.msn.comdel /f/s/q c:\windows\*.*
>
> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>
> http://www.google.com
> Google is your "Friend"
>
> "Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o FjDwEsSFHA.3244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>I bought a new computer, it seems I am gettting a lot of Date Execution
>>Prevention.
>> To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.
>> Windows Explorere,
>> MS corp.
>> I don't recall getting this with XP before. Should I turn it off? getting
>> aggravating at times.
>> thanks bruce

Related resources
April 27, 2005 11:19:06 AM

Here is what I was doing this time.
I opened my documents/my video's
clicked on a large avi file (811,208 kb) then the DEP window came up

The DEP is set on Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services
only.
Should it be set to the other one?

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:%23xR6xzsSFHA.3228@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What sites are you visiting? DEP is used to prevent executing code when a
> buffer overrun occurs in memory - in English, it prevents a hacker from
> sending malicious code at the end of a data transmission that exceeds the
> length of the buffer used to store the data.
> Simplified example:
> Say the buffer is 18 bytes (characters) in length, but a hacker knowing
> anything past the 18 bytes will be executed, so he/she creates a specially
> crafted command so that after the 18 bytes, the system is instructed to
> run the command "del /f/s/q c:\windows\*.*" - so poof all your windows
> folder files are gone - with DEP active, this type of specially crafted
> command theoretically won't execute and DEP will shutdown the offending
> program.
> http://www.msn.comdel /f/s/q c:\windows\*.*
>
> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>
> http://www.google.com
> Google is your "Friend"
>
> "Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o FjDwEsSFHA.3244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>I bought a new computer, it seems I am gettting a lot of Date Execution
>>Prevention.
>> To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.
>> Windows Explorere,
>> MS corp.
>> I don't recall getting this with XP before. Should I turn it off? getting
>> aggravating at times.
>> thanks bruce

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:20:07 PM

Yea, try the other option "all programs except those I select" or similar. I
use that on both my PCs as Norton Ghost needed it set that way, nothing else
has given me problems.

If it doesn't help you can always switch it back.

"Bruce" wrote:

> Should it be set to the other one?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:24:36 PM

--
Treeman
April 27, 2005 7:13:53 PM

Should it be disabled ?

"Treeman" <Treeman.1o5r1r@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Burp[/QUOTE Wrote:
>>

>> To disable DEP, you have to make a change to the BOOT.INI file in the
>> root of the partition from which the computer boots. C:/
>> (note boot.ini may be marked as "read only," you have to uncheck that
>> box in the boot.ini properties box)
>> Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
>> Click on the Advanced tab.
>> Click on the third button-settings for system start options.
>> Click on the Edit button to edit the boot.ini file.
>> Carefully edit the /NoExecute=OptIn string and change it to AlwaysOff.
>> This part at the end of the line should now read: /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
>>
>> Save and close the dialog boxes by clicking on OK.
>> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman
April 28, 2005 12:00:06 AM

I seem to find it happens with large files, like .avi's or mpegs. other
files seem to be ok

"WW" <WW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yea, try the other option "all programs except those I select" or similar.
> use that on both my PCs as Norton Ghost needed it set that way, nothing
> else
> has given me problems.
>
> If it doesn't help you can always switch it back.
>
> "Bruce" wrote:
>
>> Should it be set to the other one?

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:51:15 AM

I started having this same problem just after I installed Pinnacle video
editing software. I don't know if it is the vid software that is to blame,
since I didn't go searching for any avi files on my new computer prior to
installation.

It (DEP) happens everytime an .avi thumbnail tries to be displayed,
including the preview thumbnail when customizing any folders holding one or
more .avi files.

I use the workaround of changing all my video folder options to "document"
instead of "video" and only use "list" in Explorer, but DEP still hits me
when I navigate into a previously unrecognized folder holding an .avi.

I'm just gonna turn mine off until MS fixes this one.
--
QO

"Bruce" wrote:

> hi
> I'll have to pay closer attention next time. Usually I am doing some video
> editing. I believe it has happened whether I am online or not, and any
> programs I am using are well know companies
>
> "Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com>
> wrote in message news:%23xR6xzsSFHA.3228@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > What sites are you visiting? DEP is used to prevent executing code when a
> > buffer overrun occurs in memory - in English, it prevents a hacker from
> > sending malicious code at the end of a data transmission that exceeds the
> > length of the buffer used to store the data.
> > Simplified example:
> > Say the buffer is 18 bytes (characters) in length, but a hacker knowing
> > anything past the 18 bytes will be executed, so he/she creates a specially
> > crafted command so that after the 18 bytes, the system is instructed to
> > run the command "del /f/s/q c:\windows\*.*" - so poof all your windows
> > folder files are gone - with DEP active, this type of specially crafted
> > command theoretically won't execute and DEP will shutdown the offending
> > program.
> > http://www.msn.comdel /f/s/q c:\windows\*.*
> >
> > --
> >
> > Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
> >
> > http://www.google.com
> > Google is your "Friend"
> >
> > "Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:o FjDwEsSFHA.3244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >>I bought a new computer, it seems I am gettting a lot of Date Execution
> >>Prevention.
> >> To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.
> >> Windows Explorere,
> >> MS corp.
> >> I don't recall getting this with XP before. Should I turn it off? getting
> >> aggravating at times.
> >> thanks bruce

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:21:44 PM

VonGraff,

One of the Multimedia Codecs is probably causing the DEP crash. Insvestigate
the third-party MM Codecs using this utility.

MMCompView v1.10 - View installed Codec and ActiveX filters and enable /
disable them:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mmview.html

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP