Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cheap Laptop for Computer Programming

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 6, 2012 2:16:32 AM

I will be attending my local community college for computer programming. I'm looking to buy a laptop for class. I want it to last two years, seeing as I'll be getting my associates next year in December. My only requirements are that it's less than $500 and it will allow me to program efficiently. My course states that these are the following languages I will be learning: Visual Basic .Net, Java, JSP, RPG IV, COBOL, CICS, SQL, XML and HTML/Java Script. So I'll have to be able to program with those. I've also read online that programmer needs a good size screen and good resolution. So I'll need at least 14inch, and hd resolution.

The dell inspiron 15 seems like it'll fit my needs. http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-intel-n5040/pd. It's only $400, Dual Core, 720p, and 4gb ram. Will this fit my needs? Or are there any better offers out there?

Best solution

a c 572 D Laptop
July 6, 2012 11:36:22 AM

From BestBuy: Asus X44L-BBK4 14" notebook $341
http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/asus-14-inch-dual-core-la...

Performance is roughly equal to the others listed above. The difference between 14" and 15" laptops is often the dedicated number pad on the keyboard frequently found on 15" models.
Related resources
July 6, 2012 2:55:50 PM

Thank you very much! I really like that 14inch Asus laptop. I will miss the numpad, though I can easily do without.
m
l
July 6, 2012 2:56:21 PM

Best answer selected by alphan95.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 6, 2012 4:15:27 PM

alphan95 said:
Thank you very much! I really like that 14inch Asus laptop. I will miss the numpad, though I can easily do without.

Laptop with "good screen" and "good resolution" for "under $500" is an oximoron. Cheap laptops 90% of people buy have mediocre resolution of 1366x768. Programming is done best when you can see long parts of the page.

With the money left from your budget - get an additional monitor (1920x1080), keyboard and mouse to connect to your laptop when at home. Youy eyes will thank you.
m
l
!