HAL.DLL corrupt or missing - How to fix?

I have a problem with one of XP SP2 machines. It is stopping on boot with a
message stating HAL.DLL corrupt or missing. How can I restore this file? I
can get a copy off of another machine to replace but I am almost sure that
it is a NTFS drive. I currently don't have any utilities that will copy to
one of these partition from a DOS disk.

Can someone advise me on how to attack this problem? Thanks.

--

Mickey A
4 answers Last reply

    Try TechNet at microsoft,in the L.sub menu select,troubleshooting and
    support,then select event/error search.The online utility has details to
    youre
    problem(s),open event viewer for details.

    "Mickey A" wrote:

    > I have a problem with one of XP SP2 machines. It is stopping on boot with a
    > message stating HAL.DLL corrupt or missing. How can I restore this file? I
    > can get a copy off of another machine to replace but I am almost sure that
    > it is a NTFS drive. I currently don't have any utilities that will copy to
    > one of these partition from a DOS disk.
    >
    > Can someone advise me on how to attack this problem? Thanks.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mickey A

    It appears that I must know the SOURCE and ID to search from here. I don't
    have that information passed on to me. It looks like this would come from
    the Event viewer but I can't get booted to get that far. Maybe I am just
    missing something in here. Any other ideas?

    "Mickey A" wrote:

    > I have a problem with one of XP SP2 machines. It is stopping on boot with
    > message stating HAL.DLL corrupt or missing. How can I restore this file? I
    > can get a copy off of another machine to replace but I am almost sure that
    > it is a NTFS drive. I currently don't have any utilities that will copy to
    > one of these partition from a DOS disk.
    >
    > Can someone advise me on how to attack this problem? Thanks.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mickey A

    You might try this..
    http://www.compphix.com/corrupthal.html

    --
    The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they
    foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

    "Mickey A" <mickey@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | It appears that I must know the SOURCE and ID to search from here. I
    don't
    | have that information passed on to me. It looks like this would come
    from
    | the Event viewer but I can't get booted to get that far. Maybe I am
    just
    | missing something in here. Any other ideas?
    |

    | "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
    | Try TechNet at microsoft,in the L.sub menu select,troubleshooting
    and
    | support,then select event/error search.The online utility has
    details to
    | youre
    | problem(s),open event viewer for details.
    |
    | "Mickey A" wrote:
    |
    | > I have a problem with one of XP SP2 machines. It is stopping on
    boot with
    | > message stating HAL.DLL corrupt or missing. How can I restore this
    file? I
    | > can get a copy off of another machine to replace but I am almost
    sure that
    | > it is a NTFS drive. I currently don't have any utilities that will
    copy to
    | > one of these partition from a DOS disk.
    | >
    | > Can someone advise me on how to attack this problem? Thanks.
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Mickey A

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Kelly's web page:

    "HAL - Hardware Abstraction Layer"
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Mickey A" <mickey@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It appears that I must know the SOURCE and ID to search from here. I don't
    > have that information passed on to me. It looks like this would come from
    > the Event viewer but I can't get booted to get that far. Maybe I am just
    > missing something in here. Any other ideas?
    >

    > "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Try TechNet at microsoft,in the L.sub menu select,troubleshooting and
    > support,then select event/error search.The online utility has details to
    > youre
    > problem(s),open event viewer for details.
    >
    > "Mickey A" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a problem with one of XP SP2 machines. It is stopping on boot with
    >> message stating HAL.DLL corrupt or missing. How can I restore this file?
    >> can get a copy off of another machine to replace but I am almost sure
    >> that
    >> it is a NTFS drive. I currently don't have any utilities that will copy
    >> one of these partition from a DOS disk.
    >>
    >> Can someone advise me on how to attack this problem? Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mickey A

DLL Windows XP