MicroSoft (re)authorization on Dells?

Just got giggles I let M$ try to confirm that I have a valid WinXPpro
license on my laptop, but (after not liking FireFox) it's now stuck in
a mode where it wants me to enter the Windows Key off the sticker
(onthe bottom of the laptop in the docking station), which is a bit
inconvenient for me to get to and not (currently) required.

Is it doing this because it sees the generic Dell install, which
didn't require a key, or because the Firefox authorization didn't run
the Active-X control it wanted the first time around.

What other experiences do Dell owners have with the (re)authorization
process? Transcribing the key off the sticker is kinda painful...

Bill

If you only need to get your key,, try finding a copy of 'keyfinder' at
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/

For several years now, the rule of thumb has been to use only Internet Explorer
when doing anything at all on any Microsoft web site. Microsoft has perverted
Tim Berners' WWW standards with Active X and who knows what else, all of which
contributes to IE's poor security. The product update web site doesn't work
with a darn either with Firefox, Mozilla, etc.

Unfortunately, I think that your only choice is to adhere to Micro$oft's
request, turn your docking station over, jot down the product ID, and enter it
when asked. If you are talking about product activation, rather than product
authorization, you may have 30 days to do so, after which your copy of XP Pro
will cease to function.

As long as one uses IE to activate an XP product, there should generally be no
problem... Ben Myers

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:29:03 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

>Just got giggles I let M$ try to confirm that I have a valid WinXPpro
>license on my laptop, but (after not liking FireFox) it's now stuck in
>a mode where it wants me to enter the Windows Key off the sticker
>(onthe bottom of the laptop in the docking station), which is a bit
>inconvenient for me to get to and not (currently) required.
>
>Is it doing this because it sees the generic Dell install, which
>didn't require a key, or because the Firefox authorization didn't run
>the Active-X control it wanted the first time around.
>
>What other experiences do Dell owners have with the (re)authorization
>process? Transcribing the key off the sticker is kinda painful...

But of course! Keyfinder may be a lot easier than looking at the sticker, if
the sticker is in an inconvenient place... Ben Myers

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>If you only need to get your key,, try finding a copy of 'keyfinder' at
>http://www.magicaljellybean.com/

Aha, the key in my machine starts with XJM6Q, and the key on the
sticker starts with M7FC3. I suspect that Dell puts the same key into
every {machine,model,build,etc} and Microsoft is trying to
differentiate me from every other Dell Latitude D600 owner.

The reauthorization I'm talking about is the one M$ is testing (and
will probably implement someday for all Windows Updates, etc) at, for
instance,
(click on Try It Now) then "Continue to begin Windows Validation"

The key from KeyFinder didn't work, but the key from the bottom of the
machine did. [Its out of the dock now, so it was a little easier to
get to.]

I guess what I'm really wondering is if I'm going to eventually run
into this on every Dell machine I see when they start requiring it for
Windows Update and such...

Bill

In the last 3 years, I have had to re-build about 10 dells,, 8 different
machines,, for friends,, I have a little side job playing IT Tech to the
uninformed that think security is
someone else's problem,,, make good beer money....

Each time I install from the dells win-xp(or win-98),, the cd will ask for a
key before it is 1/2 installed,,, Them when it does the 1st online handshake
it checks the key.. As most times I format and install fresh copies,, I
also do a product update as soon as security is installed.. I have used
alternate cd's,, but I check the installed key beforehand and change it back
too the one that was purchased with the machine, before doing the 1st
on-line up-date...

If you have a druthers,, keyfinder will allow you to change the key in the
machines to match the one on the box??

I am not sure MS ever checks the key against the 'master' list,, but they do
every time you request updates,, against your up-date history,,,, Most(90%)
of the user community never do updates,, so having a couple machines with
the same key will never be caught... Besides,, If you purchase a retail copy
of win-xp and install it on your box,, there is no reason why if your box
fails and you purchase a new box,, that you can't use your retail copy on
the new box???

Jim

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Each time I install from the dells win-xp the cd will ask for a
>key before it is 1/2 installed

Strangely, that directly contradicts my experience with Dell installs
from their distribution disks, as they are set up to recognize the
Dell BIOS and install a fully functional WinXP that never needs
authorization.

It's the (re)validation step that I'm concerned about...

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Bill
>
> In the last 3 years, I have had to re-build about 10 dells,, 8 different
> machines,, for friends,, I have a little side job playing IT Tech to the
> uninformed that think security is
> someone else's problem,,, make good beer money....
>
> Each time I install from the dells win-xp(or win-98),, the cd will ask for
> key before it is 1/2 installed,,, Them when it does the 1st online
> handshake
> it checks the key.. As most times I format and install fresh copies,, I
> also do a product update as soon as security is installed.. I have used
> alternate cd's,, but I check the installed key beforehand and change it
> back
> too the one that was purchased with the machine, before doing the 1st
> on-line up-date...
>
> If you have a druthers,, keyfinder will allow you to change the key in the
> machines to match the one on the box??
>
> I am not sure MS ever checks the key against the 'master' list,, but they
> do
> every time you request updates,, against your up-date history,,,,
> Most(90%)
> of the user community never do updates,, so having a couple machines with
> the same key will never be caught... Besides,, If you purchase a retail
> copy
> of win-xp and install it on your box,, there is no reason why if your box
> fails and you purchase a new box,, that you can't use your retail copy on
> the new box???
>
> Jim

That NEVER happens for me. If you boot the XP CD and install, it WILL not
ask for a key

Then you are not booting from the Dell XP CD!

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Bill
>
> In the last 3 years, I have had to re-build about 10 dells,, 8 different
> machines,, for friends,, I have a little side job playing IT Tech to the
> uninformed that think security is
> someone else's problem,,, make good beer money....
>
> Each time I install from the dells win-xp(or win-98),, the cd will ask for
> key before it is 1/2 installed,,,

WSZr,
My experience is that if you leave the Dell Restore CD in the cd-rom during
the entire install process of XP, including boot-ups, a product key code is
not requested. This is true for my Dimension 4600 & my wife's Inspiron 1100.
But if you remove the CD after the files are downloaded to drive, and before
the reboot after that, i have had to enter the product key from the sticker.
I think that install process, uses a product key encoded on the CD, that
Dell uses for multiple installations.

A Belarc check of my Dimension, shows the key that Dell used at the factory.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Then you are not booting from the Dell XP CD!

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Bill
>
> In the last 3 years, I have had to re-build about 10 dells,, 8 different
> machines,, for friends,, I have a little side job playing IT Tech to the
> uninformed that think security is
> someone else's problem,,, make good beer money....
>
> Each time I install from the dells win-xp(or win-98),, the cd will ask for
> key before it is 1/2 installed,,,

Never tried that. I have to ask, why would you want to remove the CD before
the install was complete?

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
> WSZr,
> My experience is that if you leave the Dell Restore CD in the cd-rom
> during
> the entire install process of XP, including boot-ups, a product key code
> is
> not requested. This is true for my Dimension 4600 & my wife's Inspiron
> 1100.
> But if you remove the CD after the files are downloaded to drive, and
> before
> the reboot after that, i have had to enter the product key from the
> sticker.
> I think that install process, uses a product key encoded on the CD, that
> Dell uses for multiple installations.
>
> A Belarc check of my Dimension, shows the key that Dell used at the
> factory.
>

> --
>
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) <message rule>
> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Then you are not booting from the Dell XP CD!
>
> <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Bill
>>
>> In the last 3 years, I have had to re-build about 10 dells,, 8 different
>> machines,, for friends,, I have a little side job playing IT Tech to the
>> uninformed that think security is
>> someone else's problem,,, make good beer money....
>>
>> Each time I install from the dells win-xp(or win-98),, the cd will ask
>> for
>> key before it is 1/2 installed,,,

I have a Packard Bell w/Win98, when you use its restore cd, it requires
that you remove the restore CD, after it copies the files to HDD, but before
the files get installed. So I thought I had to do the same with Dell w/XP,
found out that I could leave CD in cd-rom for the Dell.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Never tried that. I have to ask, why would you want to remove the CD before
the install was complete?

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
> WSZr,
> My experience is that if you leave the Dell Restore CD in the cd-rom
> during
> the entire install process of XP, including boot-ups, a product key code
> is
> not requested. This is true for my Dimension 4600 & my wife's Inspiron
> 1100.
> But if you remove the CD after the files are downloaded to drive, and
> before
> the reboot after that, i have had to enter the product key from the
> sticker.
> I think that install process, uses a product key encoded on the CD, that
> Dell uses for multiple installations.
>
> A Belarc check of my Dimension, shows the key that Dell used at the
> factory.
>

> --
>
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) <message rule>
> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Then you are not booting from the Dell XP CD!
>
> <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Bill
>>
>> In the last 3 years, I have had to re-build about 10 dells,, 8 different
>> machines,, for friends,, I have a little side job playing IT Tech to the
>> uninformed that think security is
>> someone else's problem,,, make good beer money....
>>
>> Each time I install from the dells win-xp(or win-98),, the cd will ask
>> for
>> key before it is 1/2 installed,,,

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

William P.N. Smith wrote:

> <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>If you only need to get your key,, try finding a copy of 'keyfinder' at
>>http://www.magicaljellybean.com/
>
> Aha, the key in my machine starts with XJM6Q,

So does mine (Dim 4550 w/XP Pro), but the sticker begins with G2Y2M. Is
your next group BQ8HW (guessing Dell writes the same disk image to all
systems)?

Tom

I just did my own system this last Saturday,,,

IE got whacked on my 8250,, I could not access the internet,, (address not
found),, but Netscape and Firefox both worked ok,,, Tried to restore the
system(nope),, back out MS updates(nope),, un-install & re-install
IE(nope),, it was strange??

Anyway,, I was able to export all my application data & files to my D:
drive,, formatting the HF and re-installing,, and it asked for the key??

Most if not all of my experience has been when I had to either put in new HF
or formatted the HF because of virus infestation..

Could that make a difference???

Jim

> Tom
>
> I just did my own system this last Saturday,,,
>
> IE got whacked on my 8250,, I could not access the internet,, (address not
> found),, but Netscape and Firefox both worked ok,,, Tried to restore the
> system(nope),, back out MS updates(nope),, un-install & re-install
> IE(nope),, it was strange??
>
> Anyway,, I was able to export all my application data & files to my D:
> drive,, formatting the HF and re-installing,, and it asked for the key??
>
> Most if not all of my experience has been when I had to either put in new
> HF
> or formatted the HF because of virus infestation..
>
> Could that make a difference???
>
> Jim

Shouldn't ask if you boot from the CD

Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
>William P.N. Smith wrote:
>> Aha, the key in my machine starts with [...]

>So does mine (Dim 4550 w/XP Pro), but the sticker begins with G2Y2M. Is
>your next group BQ8HW (guessing Dell writes the same disk image to all
>systems)?

That's the one. Let's not give out the rest of it, eh? 8*) I'm
afraid M$ will start restricting those of us with that number even
further...

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

William P.N. Smith wrote:

> Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
>
>>William P.N. Smith wrote:
>>
>>>Aha, the key in my machine starts with [...]
>
>>So does mine (Dim 4550 w/XP Pro), but the sticker begins with G2Y2M. Is
>>your next group BQ8HW (guessing Dell writes the same disk image to all
>>systems)?
>
> That's the one. Let's not give out the rest of it, eh? 8*)

Course not - that's why I stopped there. Let the crackers guess the next
15, okay?

William P.N. Smith wrote:

> What other experiences do Dell owners have with the (re)authorization
> process? Transcribing the key off the sticker is kinda painful...

Back on topic...

I just saw this thread and have what I feel is the definitive answer
after dealing with this on a number of Dell systems.

1. A Dell system which had its OS installed at the factory, or installed
via CD via booting the CD does not have the activation key installed,
and Microsoft will require confirmation in Windows Update. This is the
typical case.

2. A Dell system which had its OS installed without booting from the CD
or using a retail CD has already had its key entered and will not
require confirmation in Windows Update.

3. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL -- If Windows Update requires confirmation, you
have the opportunity to give the system manufacturer and location and
have Microsoft issue a key on the spot which gets loaded into your
system. This saves having to read the number off your certificate, which
is typically in an awkward location.

"Tom Almy" <webmaster5@almy.us> wrote in message
> William P.N. Smith wrote:
>
>> What other experiences do Dell owners have with the (re)authorization
>> process? Transcribing the key off the sticker is kinda painful...
>>

> Back on topic...
>
> I just saw this thread and have what I feel is the definitive answer after
> dealing with this on a number of Dell systems.
>
> 1. A Dell system which had its OS installed at the factory, or installed
> via CD via booting the CD does not have the activation key installed, and
> Microsoft will require confirmation in Windows Update. This is the typical
> case.
>
> 2. A Dell system which had its OS installed without booting from the CD or
> using a retail CD has already had its key entered and will not require
> confirmation in Windows Update.
>
> 3. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL -- If Windows Update requires confirmation, you
> have the opportunity to give the system manufacturer and location and have
> Microsoft issue a key on the spot which gets loaded into your system. This
> saves having to read the number off your certificate, which is typically
> in an awkward location.

I don't know how 'definitive' it is, since it is NOT what happens on ANY of
my Dells. I have never had to have any confirmation from Windows update, on
a Dell 8100 (x2), 4550 (x2), 2400 and 8400.

Tom

WSZsr wrote:

> My experience covering a very large number of Dells has been very
> different.

I should have pointed out that the confirmation won't be required for
Windows Update functions until this summer. You can see what happens now
if you attempt to download some of the free software packages such as
the AntiSpyware Beta:

Go there and see what happens! I didn't want to find I had trouble when
the day or reckoning came :)

Tom Almy <webmaster5@almy.us> wrote:
>3. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL -- If Windows Update requires confirmation, you
>have the opportunity to give the system manufacturer and location and
>have Microsoft issue a key on the spot which gets loaded into your
>system. This saves having to read the number off your certificate, which
>is typically in an awkward location.

I never had that option, though I wasn't in Windows Update. When and
where does Windows Update ask for a key?

We may be talking about different things, I'm talking about the
WIndows Validation that M$ is quietly beta testing with downloads for
their AntiSpyware product, for instance.

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> Tom Almy <webmaster5@almy.us> wrote:
>
>>3. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL -- If Windows Update requires confirmation, you
>>have the opportunity to give the system manufacturer and location and
>>have Microsoft issue a key on the spot which gets loaded into your
>>system. This saves having to read the number off your certificate, which
>>is typically in an awkward location.
>

> I never had that option, though I wasn't in Windows Update. When and
> where does Windows Update ask for a key?
>
> We may be talking about different things, I'm talking about the
> WIndows Validation that M$ is quietly beta testing with downloads for
> their AntiSpyware product, for instance.

That's what I'm talking about. My second post on this topic clarifies.

Not trying it. Not now. No way
> Tom Scales wrote:
>

>> I don't know how 'definitive' it is, since it is NOT what happens on ANY
>> of my Dells. I have never had to have any confirmation from Windows
>> update, on a Dell 8100 (x2), 4550 (x2), 2400 and 8400.
>
> WSZsr wrote:
>
> > My experience covering a very large number of Dells has been very
> > different.
>

> I should have pointed out that the confirmation won't be required for
> Windows Update functions until this summer. You can see what happens now
> if you attempt to download some of the free software packages such as the
> AntiSpyware Beta:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
>
> Go there and see what happens! I didn't want to find I had trouble when
> the day or reckoning came :)

Fine. You can either try it now, or wait until you have to do it. Or I
guess you could install Linux or dump your system and buy a Mac. :)

(I guess another solution is to install Win2K or some other old OS.)