CHKDSK /R and NTLDR Problems

"NTLDR is missing" came up on a restart. Called Microsoft. Had be enter the
Windows Recovery Console and run CHKDSK /r. It went up to 75% and then
dropped to 50%. (I understand that is normal) but then it tok 2+ hours to
move to 51% and is still moving very slowly. Is there anything else to do?
Oh, and i tried copying from e:/i386/ntldr but no avail. What happens if I
hit restart and interupt CHKDSK?

You probably wont interupt it but try.If needed push in and hold start button
on computer case,this will turn it off.Repairing NTLDR thru CHKDSK /R wont
work anyway,its not that type of utility,microsoft told you to fix in that
way,its
not possible,recovery can/could but another cmd is warranted.Re-call
microsoft.

DWP <DWP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"NTLDR is missing" came up on a restart. Called Microsoft. Had be enter the
>Windows Recovery Console and run CHKDSK /r. It went up to 75% and then
>dropped to 50%. (I understand that is normal) but then it tok 2+ hours to
>move to 51% and is still moving very slowly. Is there anything else to do?
>Oh, and i tried copying from e:/i386/ntldr but no avail. What happens if I
>hit restart and interupt CHKDSK?

If CHKDSK /R is taking that long to process your hard drive then there
are two possible reasons for this:

1. Your hard drive, or at least the data structure on it, is
seriously damaged

2. You have a huge hard drive in a stone age computer and it is just
going to take a long time to process the entire drive.

So unless you are using a 250 or 300 gb hard drive in a 200 mhz
Pentium II (or thereabouts) you need to be prepared for the worst, at
least in terms of your hard drive.

When CHKDSK has finished boot back into the Recovery Console and when
it stops enter the following command:

COPY \i386\ntldr.* C:\

Then exit Recovery Console and reboot the computer.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP