Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Macbook Pro Retina or Origin EON15-S or SAGER NP9150 !!!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 6, 2012 6:23:03 PM








Currently in a debate between these THREE laptops. I made a google spreadsheet with the information to help me decide. This computer is going to be my mobile and main workstation for all adobe programs, and 3D programs such as Maya, Cinema 4D and Soft.


Google Spreadsheet Macbook Pro Retina vs Origin EON15-S vs Sager NP9150


Macbook Pro Retina OR Origin EON15-S / Pro OR Sager NP9150



I will be connecting an external display at home to it also. Probably an LG IPS225T 22inch

Any input on the Monitor and the Computers will be greatly appreciated.
July 6, 2012 6:40:11 PM

I'm also deciding on the MacBook Pro Retina...


The main advantage of the Mac in this instance:
- Retina Display
- All Solid State Drive
- Lightest

Advantage of the others:
- Larger Hard Drive
- Windows OS, so it will be compatible with more programs (Don't know about Maya, Cinema 4D and Soft)

If you're going to be transporting this laptop a LOT, you may want to go with the Mac, as the SSD would protect it from shock and heat.

Otherwise, I'd say go with the Origin EON.
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 6:42:41 PM

spidey1010 said:
I'm also deciding on the MacBook Pro Retina...


The main advantage of the Mac in this instance:
- Retina Display
- All Solid State Drive
- Lightest

Advantage of the others:
- Larger Hard Drive
- Windows OS, so it will be compatible with more programs (Don't know about Maya, Cinema 4D and Soft)

If you're going to be transporting this laptop a LOT, you may want to go with the Mac, as the SSD would protect it from shock and heat.

Otherwise, I'd say go with the Origin EON.


Interesting. Harddrive size is not my issue because i will be backing up to another drive. The drive on the computer will only be used for programs and the current job at hand. Then moved to another drive when finished. The Origin/Sager has a better GFX card which I really wish the mac came with. But transporting the Origin/Sager might be a pain.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 6, 2012 6:45:21 PM

Well, if you go with the Mac, you'll have to install Windows to run some of those programs (at least Maya doesn't have a Mac version that I know of).

I'd go with the Sager if the battery life is at least close to the Origin. Otherwise the Origin. Reasoning: if you're using a lot of 3D modeling software and an external monitor, get the BEST GPU you can for the money.
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 6:46:47 PM

mattgfx said:
Interesting. Harddrive size is not my issue because i will be backing up to another drive. The drive on the computer will only be used for programs and the current job at hand. Then moved to another drive when finished. The Origin/Sager has a better GFX card which I really wish the mac came with. But transporting the Origin/Sager might be a pain.


My thoughts exactly on the best GPU. I went with the Sager for the bigger SSD (40GB is tight for just windows and office apps).
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 6:53:20 PM

^ Software is not an issue. Everything is for Mac besides "Soft" which is fine. OS is though, i do like mac's alot but windows is also nice too.

I wish the Sager/Origin was lighter and had a higher res screen. To have a super high res screen on your laptop would be really nice for any graphic work.

m
0
l
July 6, 2012 6:56:26 PM

mattgfx said:
^ Software is not an issue. Everything is for Mac besides "Soft" which is fine. OS is though, i do like mac's alot but windows is also nice too.

I wish the Sager/Origin was lighter and had a higher res screen. To have a super high res screen on your laptop would be really nice for any graphic work.


Oh, I didn't know they made a Mac version of Maya. I concur on the larger screen res..but you said you won't be using that one at home anyhow...and having a good GPU to push all those pixels is important too - plus most of those have GPU acceleration plugins that would save you a lot of time.
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 7:09:53 PM

inanition02 said:
Oh, I didn't know they made a Mac version of Maya. I concur on the larger screen res..but you said you won't be using that one at home anyhow...and having a good GPU to push all those pixels is important too - plus most of those have GPU acceleration plugins that would save you a lot of time.


I would be using the laptop and external display(Dual setup) at home. Very true, is there a large difference between the Nvidia GT 650M 1GB and Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB ? On board Ram there deff is...
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 7:27:51 PM

mattgfx said:
I would be using the laptop and external display(Dual setup) at home. Very true, is there a large difference between the Nvidia GT 650M 1GB and Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB ? On board Ram there deff is...



I can't find a comparison review - but the 680M is a monster and the best single GPU mobile solution around. The 650M is a value-ish solution meant to balance battery life..I would think the difference is considerable.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 6, 2012 8:31:23 PM

I just want to add - the Radeon 7970M is about 90-95% the performance of the GTX 680M at half the cost the last time I checked the sager website.


Carry on!
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 8:39:35 PM

Chainzsaw said:
I just want to add - the Radeon 7970M is about 90-95% the performance of the GTX 680M at half the cost the last time I checked the sager website.


Carry on!


For gaming yes...but for GPU compute, nVidia is the only way to go (and he's looking at it to speed up his rendering)
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 6, 2012 9:33:15 PM

AFAIK the new radeons are pretty good at compute abilities. Not trying to start a war or anything. Just trying to toss the thought in there.

Edit: I can't really find any benchmarks for those programs listed, since they are such new mobile cards, however I did find this:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-GeForce-GTX-680M-vs...

Either way, the GTX680 is a great card and you wouldn't be disappointed with the results.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 1:23:08 AM

^ Good information, ill take that into consideration if i go with a PC
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2012 2:11:58 AM

inanition02 said:
For gaming yes...but for GPU compute, nVidia is the only way to go (and he's looking at it to speed up his rendering)



http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-GeForce-GTX-680M-vs...

The gtx 680m gets creamed in the compute tests, in some its over 500% faster. The 7970m is virtually the same as the 680m in most of the gaming tests as well. The only drawback is slightly higher power consumption.
The 7970 is about 250 to 300 dollars cheaper, go with it unless you absolutely need something the 680m has.
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 3:20:10 AM

Apparently the RMP Graphics card (650 gt) is overclocked to somewhere over the power of the 660 gtx which makes it a pretty decent card.
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:28:22 AM

Any more input ?!
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:33:14 AM

I was thinking about the retina display as it makes such a difference with my IPAD over the old one but I've heard about a few issues with "temporary burn in" on the displays. I have no idea how widespread the problem is but a few people were complaining about it. Google it and see.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2012 2:52:20 AM

For what my thoughts are worth to you...


What the macbook pro has is a nice lightweight chassis and great LCD panel (with a crazy resolution).

The Sager has much more horsepower compared to the macbook. But it also weighs more. The 95% NTSC Color gamut is pretty sweet on the sager.

I can't really comment on the Origin EON.


IMO I would go for the SAGER for a few reasons:

You would be able to upgrade the GPU in the future easily (or somewhat easily) compared to the MBP.

The Sager has much more raw power thanks to its beefier GPU. It's not just about form factor, but oompf as well. Why spend so much, when you will absolutely need more GPU power. It will cut rendering times and time is money, especially since they are about the same/similar price.
m
0
l
July 20, 2012 7:51:58 PM

Chainzsaw said:
For what my thoughts are worth to you...


What the macbook pro has is a nice lightweight chassis and great LCD panel (with a crazy resolution).

The Sager has much more horsepower compared to the macbook. But it also weighs more. The 95% NTSC Color gamut is pretty sweet on the sager.

I can't really comment on the Origin EON.


IMO I would go for the SAGER for a few reasons:

You would be able to upgrade the GPU in the future easily (or somewhat easily) compared to the MBP.

The Sager has much more raw power thanks to its beefier GPU. It's not just about form factor, but oompf as well. Why spend so much, when you will absolutely need more GPU power. It will cut rendering times and time is money, especially since they are about the same/similar price.



interesting input...
m
0
l
!