Remote Desktop - *very* confused....please help!

I'm trying to run Remote Desktop on my laptop and desktop (both running
XP Pro) over a web connection. My desktop is plugged into a wireless
router through the cable modem....my laptop has a wireless card. I've
activated both machines so that they will accept remote desktop users.
But I'm completely frustrated at how to connect! The dialog box I get
when I launch the Remote Desktop application is confusing. It says,
"Type the name of the computer..." What computer? The one I'm working
on? Or the one I want to connect to? And what "name" is it talking
about? Then it wants a username and password....again, for *which*
computer? I've read some other articles that say you have to put in an
IP address if you want to connect remotely over the web. I don't know
what my IP address is! aarrrggh. Can somebody simplify this for me?????

OK....I *finally* got it working...... Now, how do I transfer files
from one computer to the other? And what are they meaning when they
talk about "remote" and "local" computer? It said I should be able to
just copy and past files from one computer to the other....but that's
not working.....

See if this helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;315328

"elorahd" <elorahd@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje news:1114591225.271493.7150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I'm trying to run Remote Desktop on my laptop and desktop (both running
> XP Pro) over a web connection. My desktop is plugged into a wireless
> router through the cable modem....my laptop has a wireless card. I've
> activated both machines so that they will accept remote desktop users.
> But I'm completely frustrated at how to connect! The dialog box I get
> when I launch the Remote Desktop application is confusing. It says,
> "Type the name of the computer..." What computer? The one I'm working
> on? Or the one I want to connect to? And what "name" is it talking
> about? Then it wants a username and password....again, for *which*
> computer? I've read some other articles that say you have to put in an
> IP address if you want to connect remotely over the web. I don't know
> what my IP address is! aarrrggh. Can somebody simplify this for me?????

Local -> the PC which tries to access to another one.
Remote -> the PC to which local accesses.

I mean, the local machine accesses to remote machine.