Sign in with
Your question

Iran gives US men eight-year sentences for spying....

Last response: in News & Leisure
August 22, 2011 1:18:59 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44212736/ns/world_news-mide...
Two American men arrested more than two years ago while hiking along the Iraq-Iran border have been sentenced to eight years in prison on charges that include espionage, state TV reported Saturday, in an apparent sharp blow to hopes their release was imminent.

How much 'BS' is this and what's this really about.?
August 22, 2011 7:16:56 PM

This is why you don't go hiking near the Iran border without an armored tank division and perhaps some AirCav.
August 22, 2011 7:24:03 PM

Yeah this is an example of Location, Location, Location.

I would be worried if one of my friends told me the hiking scene outside of North Korea is wild. I would not let him go.....
August 22, 2011 8:15:04 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
This is why you don't go hiking near the Iran border without an armored tank division and perhaps some AirCav.

it would be nice to be able to keep it in your back pocket..
August 22, 2011 8:16:15 PM

That would be my ideal first location for a summer hike!
August 22, 2011 8:18:05 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
That would be my ideal first location for a summer hike!

congrats on moderator, use the power wisely Jedi..
August 22, 2011 8:19:10 PM

I promise not to be influenced by the darkside!
August 22, 2011 8:25:43 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I promise not to be influenced by the darkside!

Resist.... you can not. The darkside cookies are too delicious for mere mortals to refuse!
August 22, 2011 8:27:19 PM

This is true i must have the cookies!
August 22, 2011 9:25:22 PM

are white macadamia nut cookies considered darkside too...
ROFL. :ange: 
August 22, 2011 10:44:41 PM

Yes they are considered to be the official cookie of the sith lord!
August 22, 2011 11:02:48 PM

verbalizer said:
are white macadamia nut cookies considered darkside too...
ROFL. :ange: 

come into the sith lord's space van... he has every variety of cookie that u could possibly want... do not mind the cloaking field, it is only there so people will not see the copious amounts of cookies u will eat. hahaha
August 22, 2011 11:18:53 PM

nice..
cloaking device is what the hiker's needed..
August 23, 2011 10:13:35 AM

To go with the white macadamia nut cookies.
August 23, 2011 1:55:36 PM

verbalizer said:
congrats on moderator, use the power wisely Jedi..

He got the job because he collected dirt on us for months ... we had no choice when he posted pictures like this below ...

http://urlybits.com/2011/08/inbread-cat/
August 23, 2011 1:56:27 PM

random was devastated ...
August 23, 2011 3:42:33 PM

Actually he is a pretty nice guy ... all the new mods and CR's are good value.

One is now mowing mrface's lawn on weekends ...

August 23, 2011 3:47:13 PM

how does one look into reporter status if not moderator.?
August 23, 2011 4:01:45 PM

Talk to one of the new mods about how they got there.

There are many paths.

There is a bit of a quorum where we discuss new nominees.

We usually select people on the basis of being positive, having initiative, and being good role models for other users.

I completely bucked that trend !!!

They keep me on so the rest of them look good.

Some days I get a bit teary ...

:) 
August 23, 2011 7:05:42 PM

mrface now has the best looking lawn on his street! :D 
August 24, 2011 4:41:58 PM

I'm really ashamed of what they did but seriously what were those guys thinking ?
Iran's government kills it's people,throws them in jail for no reason,let alone tourists/foreigners.They really shouldn't have come here.
Hope they get free soon though.
August 24, 2011 9:11:11 PM

Maziar said:
I'm really ashamed of what they did but seriously what were those guys thinking ?
Iran's government kills it's people,throws them in jail for no reason,let alone tourists/foreigners.They really shouldn't have come here.
Hope they get free soon though.

I feel the same way..
August 25, 2011 2:55:03 PM

According to Iran all US tourists are freelance CIA operatives.

This view is also shared by North Korea.
August 25, 2011 3:57:52 PM

Reynod said:
According to Iran all US tourists are freelance CIA operatives.

just haters they are....
August 26, 2011 4:22:06 PM

Reynod said:
According to Iran's government all US tourists are freelance CIA operatives.

There,fixed that for ya.People don't think the same as the government :) 
August 26, 2011 4:37:38 PM

Maziar said:
There,fixed that for ya.People don't think the same as the government :) 

Right you are!
August 27, 2011 2:19:44 AM

Yep, because if I was going to spy on a country, I would be doing it in the mountains, along the border. This is some real garbage. And it's incidents like this that is going to bring the hammer (and more bombs) down on Iran.

Maz, I really hope you get out, because I fear it's going to get real ugly.
August 27, 2011 2:24:49 AM

Maybe we finally know where the nukes are being made? ;) 
August 27, 2011 2:49:27 AM

We probably do. But amazingly, Iran's government has no clue. And we don't seem to be getting much help from the locals.
August 27, 2011 2:52:42 AM

At the threats of death or worse, the entire family, I can see why most are quiet
August 27, 2011 2:59:21 AM

Would you rather be around those who you know are targets of enemy bombs?

I think I'd rather try and cooperate with the easily accessible soldiers who are trying to keep them safe.
August 27, 2011 1:08:23 PM

Yep,they say they're doing "peaceful" nuke projects :lol: 
August 27, 2011 1:42:33 PM

verbalizer said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44212736/ns/world_news-mide...
Two American men arrested more than two years ago while hiking along the Iraq-Iran border have been sentenced to eight years in prison on charges that include espionage, state TV reported Saturday, in an apparent sharp blow to hopes their release was imminent.

Seriously,. if you are dumb enough to go 'hiking' in an area like that you are clearly in need of some punishment.
Don't anyone please give me the "freedom to do as I wish" speech. There are things in life that one just does not do; like going into a biker bar in full iPad/juppy regalia and telling them the latest Biker jokes you just found on the net. The evening may just take a turn to the nasty too :bounce: 

August 27, 2011 1:52:06 PM

aford10 said:
Yep, because if I was going to spy on a country, I would be doing it in the mountains, along the border. This is some real garbage. And it's incidents like this that is going to bring the hammer (and more bombs) down on Iran.

Maz, I really hope you get out, because I fear it's going to get real ugly.

I really hope future administrations/congresses won't go to war over two 8-year sentences, no more goddamn chickenhakws who act like war is just a videogame/acceptable diplomatic tool, yet keep themselves and their family members out of harms way...
August 27, 2011 2:44:01 PM

For the first time ever, I finally agree with you
August 27, 2011 2:46:26 PM

Gulli said:
I really hope future administrations/congresses won't go to war over two 8-year sentences, no more goddamn chickenhakws who act like war is just a videogame/acceptable diplomatic tool, yet keep themselves and their family members out of harms way...

Iran is the whole reason we are there Gulli. Check the map. An army in Iraq *cough I mean Kuwait, and an army in Afghanistan, and look who is stuck in the middle. Bush lost his nerve, and Obama never had any to start with.
August 27, 2011 7:06:57 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Iran is the whole reason we are there Gulli. Check the map. An army in Iraq *cough I mean Kuwait, and an army in Afghanistan, and look who is stuck in the middle. Bush lost his nerve, and Obama never had any to start with.

Bush was an idiot, Cheney wanted to see his Halliburton stock go up and Obama can actually knows three-syllable words.
August 27, 2011 7:15:42 PM

That's interesting considering people in public office are required to divest themselves of all private holdings before taking office.

Your lack of knowledge of the USA knows no bounds.
August 27, 2011 7:18:07 PM

the thing about the Obama administration is that it was set-up to fail in the first place.
I, we the people wanted/needed him to stop the madness that was already in-progress.
he promised and yet has failed to do so fix our nation specifically the economy.
that's his downfall and reason for not being re-elected.
Bush was an idiot I agree and most of this could have been avoided during the Clinton years..
August 27, 2011 7:32:49 PM

verbalizer said:
the thing about the Obama administration is that it was set-up to fail in the first place.
I, we the people wanted/needed him to stop the madness that was already in-progress.
he promised and yet has failed to do so fix our nation specifically the economy.
that's his downfall and reason for not being re-elected.
Bush was an idiot I agree and most of this could have been avoided during the Clinton years..

Not only did he fail to stop the idiocy, he doubled down on it. Twice.

These people are not idiots. They know exactly what they are doing.
August 28, 2011 10:48:08 AM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
You do know he's not in office anymore, right?

It's from 2005, but you raise an interesting point: one can help a corporation when in public office and then afterwards buy shares and/or have family members and friends do it even while in office.
!