Sad news: Telus' offer to buy Fido

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040513/telecoms_microcell_telus_3.html

Will this be the end of Fido? :-(

--
--Lawrence Kwan-lawrence@vex.net- http://www.vex.net/~lawrence --
--Tungsten T3 Enhanced DIA Keyboard----Nokia Ringtone Convertor--
7 answers Last reply
More about news telus offer fido

    Wow, that's a surprise, what is Telus thinking? I don't really see what Fido
    would add to Telus, other then subscribers.

    I wonder if it'll go through. TTYL

    "Lawrence Kwan" <lawrence@shell.vex.net> wrote in message
    > http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040513/telecoms_microcell_telus_3.html
    >
    > Will this be the end of Fido? :-(
    >
    > --
    > --Lawrence Kwan-lawrence@vex.net- http://www.vex.net/~lawrence --
    > --Tungsten T3 Enhanced DIA Keyboard----Nokia Ringtone Convertor--

    It will definitely go through - Fido is currently owned by banks who
    want to walk away with some kind of profit.

    It'll just be sad for Fido's Montreal employees who will probably all
    lose their jobs within the next year (except perhaps for the call centre
    employees).

    repatch wrote:
    > Wow, that's a surprise, what is Telus thinking? I don't really see what Fido
    > would add to Telus, other then subscribers.
    >
    > I wonder if it'll go through. TTYL
    >
    > "Lawrence Kwan" <lawrence@shell.vex.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040513/telecoms_microcell_telus_3.html
    >>
    >>Will this be the end of Fido? :-(
    >>
    >>--
    >>--Lawrence Kwan-lawrence@vex.net- http://www.vex.net/~lawrence --
    >>--Tungsten T3 Enhanced DIA Keyboard----Nokia Ringtone Convertor--

    It's not up to the banks alone I believe, there is the government to deal
    with as well, I believe.

    Also, Telus already had a "problem" with having too much spectrum in some
    areas, they'll have to dump even MORE spectrum!

    And are they going to dump the GSM network? Maybe rent it out to Rogers?
    What about the Microcell resellers? Lots of questions, I guess time will
    tell, makes me even happier I moved away from Fido. TTYL

    "Cat Luvr" <catluvr@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > It will definitely go through - Fido is currently owned by banks who
    > want to walk away with some kind of profit.
    >
    > It'll just be sad for Fido's Montreal employees who will probably all
    > lose their jobs within the next year (except perhaps for the call centre
    > employees).
    >

    > repatch wrote:
    > > Wow, that's a surprise, what is Telus thinking? I don't really see what
    Fido
    > > would add to Telus, other then subscribers.
    > >
    > > I wonder if it'll go through. TTYL
    > >
    > > "Lawrence Kwan" <lawrence@shell.vex.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040513/telecoms_microcell_telus_3.html
    > >>
    > >>Will this be the end of Fido? :-(
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>--Lawrence Kwan-lawrence@vex.net- http://www.vex.net/~lawrence --
    > >>--Tungsten T3 Enhanced DIA Keyboard----Nokia Ringtone Convertor--

    Buy Some Telus stock while its still cheap!!!

    "Cat Luvr" <catluvr@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > It will definitely go through - Fido is currently owned by banks who
    > want to walk away with some kind of profit.
    >
    > It'll just be sad for Fido's Montreal employees who will probably all
    > lose their jobs within the next year (except perhaps for the call centre
    > employees).
    >

    > repatch wrote:
    > > Wow, that's a surprise, what is Telus thinking? I don't really see what
    Fido
    > > would add to Telus, other then subscribers.
    > >
    > > I wonder if it'll go through. TTYL
    > >
    > > "Lawrence Kwan" <lawrence@shell.vex.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040513/telecoms_microcell_telus_3.html
    > >>
    > >>Will this be the end of Fido? :-(
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>--Lawrence Kwan-lawrence@vex.net- http://www.vex.net/~lawrence --
    > >>--Tungsten T3 Enhanced DIA Keyboard----Nokia Ringtone Convertor--

    Doesn't mean anything... The government will have a say... Some say we are a
    three carrier society, meaning we cannot sustain 4, so we'll have to wait
    and see what happens. I wonder what kind of poison pill Microcell will take
    to halt this?

    Deep

    "Cat Luvr" <catluvr@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > It will definitely go through - Fido is currently owned by banks who
    > want to walk away with some kind of profit.
    >
    > It'll just be sad for Fido's Montreal employees who will probably all
    > lose their jobs within the next year (except perhaps for the call centre
    > employees).
    >

    > repatch wrote:
    > > Wow, that's a surprise, what is Telus thinking? I don't really see what
    Fido
    > > would add to Telus, other then subscribers.
    > >
    > > I wonder if it'll go through. TTYL
    > >
    > > "Lawrence Kwan" <lawrence@shell.vex.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040513/telecoms_microcell_telus_3.html
    > >>
    > >>Will this be the end of Fido? :-(
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>--Lawrence Kwan-lawrence@vex.net- http://www.vex.net/~lawrence --
    > >>--Tungsten T3 Enhanced DIA Keyboard----Nokia Ringtone Convertor--

    > Doesn't mean anything... The government will have a say... Some say we are
    > three carrier society, meaning we cannot sustain 4, so we'll have to wait
    > and see what happens. I wonder what kind of poison pill Microcell will
    take
    > to halt this?

    If you go back and read the circular on the recapitiization Microcell went
    through last year you will see there are certain items related to the
    company which protects the employees and provide remedies in this type of
    situation. I doubt all Microcell employees would lose their employment as
    adding 1.2M subscribers onto your network does take additional resources not
    currently within the Telus family. Additionally, you may be suprised that at
    what finally occurs and which suitor emerges with the prize.

    "Cat Luvr" <catluvr@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > It will definitely go through - Fido is currently owned by banks who
    > want to walk away with some kind of profit.
    >
    > It'll just be sad for Fido's Montreal employees who will probably all
    > lose their jobs within the next year (except perhaps for the call centre
    > employees).

    I hope the call centre smucks get canned as well. There is nothing worse
    than trying to understand the ramblings of a csr with a thick french accent.
    The french are the bane and the embarassment of Canada.

    JMR

Fido Nokia Ringtone Telus Keyboards Internet Service Providers