Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which is better?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 6, 2012 8:59:53 PM

Hello,

I am close to selecting a low-budget lappy to purchase. Not sure which would be best for:
multi-tasking, im, skype, wp, fb, mmogs, etc. I purchase a new comp every 7-8 years. Last 2 were Dell desktops which I was able to maintain to keep up with tech advances for that amount of time. I don't expect this lappy to be current for more than 4 yrs. I just don't keep up to purchase the details of technology; just so it works with what's newly presented.

Don't need touchscreen. Don't care about 3-D.

Just which is better of the two for the price:

Contestant #1:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-A53E-AS31-15-6-Inch-Laptop-B...
Will add stick of 4G of ram = 8.
(CORRECTED LINK 7/14/12.)

Contestant #2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks!

SuperKitty
mew

More about : question

a b D Laptop
July 7, 2012 2:00:57 AM

wow if you only upgrade every 7-8 years you really shouldn't be starting off with a low end laptop. Try this one instead:

15.6" Dell XPS 15 Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz Multi-touch Laptop w/6GB RAM, 750GB HDD & GeForce GT 525M for $699.99 with free shipping

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Logicbuy-deals-electro...
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2012 2:55:40 AM

that's not going to do it either. he had desktops he upgraded. no laptop is going to last 8 years
m
0
l
Related resources
July 8, 2012 5:19:07 AM

ty. i don't expect a lappy to last the same amount of time. but just wanted to give an idea of how i use comps. everyday. but don't keep up w-techno changes evy 2 years. both dells were low end of their models. just upgraded ram & graphics card. they worked fine.

today, the cost is much less. i paid around $1k for each of the desktop purchases. these laptops are around $500. but i would like to keep it for 5 years, if possible. i'm not expecting to do touch screen and don't care about 3D.

thanks for your comments.

much appreciated,
Kitty
m
0
l
July 8, 2012 5:26:52 AM

I looked at your Dell suggestion. Wayyy too costly once you get to their add on page.
I figure one can buy something that will keep up for 3 or 4 years, then get another with the new technology for round $500 each purchase. Same as buying a $1k machine to keep for same amount of time.

Main issue: this model doesn't have 16G expansion option. Goes to 8gig only. Dell does this. Over-prices everything.
m
0
l
a c 572 D Laptop
July 8, 2012 5:38:29 AM

SuperKitty said:
mmogs, etc.
For everything you mention, except games, a $400 notebook is probably adequate.
Acer Aspire TimelineX 14" notebook

Your requirements for gaming are very vague.
But for running MMORPGs which mostly favor speedy CPUs the slower clocked Llano APUs may not be the best choice. A fast dual core CPU might be a better choice over a slower dual module APU like the A6-3420M 1.5GHz.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 8, 2012 7:31:59 AM

I just want to say, that you won't need more than 8 GB of RAM in 4 years time. Hell, I don't even use 8 GB of RAM and I'm the most power user I know. Unless you professionally edit videos, but you wouldn't want to do that on a laptop that's less than $800.

In any event, that Acer is nice... except for the fact its an Acer laptop (yuck). Spec wise, it'll last you (aside from gaming) for several years.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 8, 2012 7:49:27 AM

I run MMO's on my business lappies and get 3-4 years outta them.....but they ain't $500 laptops. If you want 4 years and the ability to run modern MMO's, you'll need something in the $1200 category like a Clevo 150EM or 170EM
m
0
l
July 15, 2012 5:31:04 AM

If you're still on those two I would go with Asus because I haven't heard the best things about the idea pad line build quality. But it is a lenovo so it wont be awful. And if games are a big issue, its going to be a lot more useful because of the dedicated graphics card.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 15, 2012 6:36:02 AM

No human being alive would buy an Intel GMA based laptop over an APU, APU's are far superior......... ok I take this back some humans would but you'd be foolish too. Go with the APU ok
Share
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2012 9:29:58 AM

dreamslides said:
No human being alive would buy an Intel GMA based laptop over an APU, APU's are far superior......... ok I take this back some humans would but you'd be foolish too. Go with the APU ok


You mean for budget gaming. ;)  Might want to clarify that =O

m
0
l
July 16, 2012 2:06:56 AM

Even if you wanted performance I'd still buy the APU because what is lacks in processing power over some other Intel version more than makes up with graphics ability which YOU WILL EVENTUALLY NEED. Intel GMA is a joke now
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 3:24:58 AM

phyco126 said:
You mean for budget gaming. ;)  Might want to clarify that =O



Yes, phyco126, thank you, for stating it. :o 

And, dreamslides, ok! i thought the core i series would be okay for the multi-tasking and light mmog gaming described. but i guess the dedicated graphics card is Always Better. :non: 

*sigh*. thought mebbe the core i would be better upgrade to previous intel stuff. :ange: 

thank you for taking the time to comment.

:hello: 
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 3:26:46 AM

And, Jack, in answer to your question:

"If a man speaks in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong ?"

YES.

:kaola: 
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 3:42:28 AM

WR2 said:
For everything you mention, except games, a $400 notebook is probably adequate.
Acer Aspire TimelineX 14" notebook

Your requirements for gaming are very vague.
But for running MMORPGs which mostly favor speedy CPUs the slower clocked Llano APUs may not be the best choice. A fast dual core CPU might be a better choice over a slower dual module APU like the A6-3420M 1.5GHz.


Hi WR2,

mmog mostly played is Runescape. May do the new Diablo, but that's about it!

Daily gaming is mostly Farmville (haha), E&A, and other FB games.

Thanks again,

:hello: 
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 8:43:04 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I run MMO's on my business lappies and get 3-4 years outta them.....but they ain't $500 laptops. If you want 4 years and the ability to run modern MMO's, you'll need something in the $1200 category like a Clevo 150EM or 170EM


Yes, Jack, you are wrong again... *sigh*
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 8:53:42 PM

For the ACER Timeline fans:

What's wrong with the ASUS? It's basically the same specs, but more. And I get a number pad on the keyboard.

m
0
l
July 27, 2012 1:58:34 AM

phyco126 said:
I just want to say, that you won't need more than 8 GB of RAM in 4 years time. Hell, I don't even use 8 GB of RAM and I'm the most power user I know. Unless you professionally edit videos, but you wouldn't want to do that on a laptop that's less than $800.

In any event, that Acer is nice... except for the fact its an Acer laptop (yuck). Spec wise, it'll last you (aside from gaming) for several years.



Thank you, Phyco. I thought I'd need the ram to multi-task while playing Farmville (which uses TONS of (i think it's) graphics memory), instant messaging, skyping, and watching youtube. If I don't really, then I can wait on the 4Gig upgrade. But, it's only $22 so worth installing before I get comfortable on my system.

Still don't understand why the Acer is better. The specs seem pretty much the same as the ASUS, cept Asus has more HD & looks like the Acer is a more recent edition of the Core i3, 2370 over 2350.

Thanks for the comments. Helped to make my decision. Will just go with the Asus from Amazon.

Best to you.
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 9:55:51 PM

Like I was corrected above, why did you not go with an APU based machine? They would provide better budget gaming performance.

Again, I do not know why everyone was liking the Acer over the Asus, it kinda made no sense to me but oh well :) 
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 12:38:41 AM

rubbateckie said:
Like I was corrected above, why did you not go with an APU based machine? They would provide better budget gaming performance.

Again, I do not know why everyone was liking the Acer over the Asus, it kinda made no sense to me but oh well :) 



Hiya,

Whatg is an APU? Do you mean something like this? An AMD?

http://www.amazon.com/X53Z-RS61-Notebook-A6-3420-6520G-...

(Only reason I'm still here is cuz the i3 Asus is now on back order. *sigh*
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 11:00:47 PM

I think the first one seems better. Amazon is much better.[/quotemsg]


Thank you Michael.

Bad news tho... I bought the Asus and it's on backorder and may not be fulfilled by Amazon. They said it was some kind of delivery issue with the supplier.

So, been checking out the AMD Asus lappies. May go with this one: ASUS X53Z-RS61.

Appreciate your comment.

Kitty
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 4:44:51 AM

Well, I ended up buying this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00739VH8A/ref=ox_ya_o...

An AMD:
Product Features
AMD a series quad core a6 3420m Processor 1.5GHz
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory
750 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch LED-backlight Active Matrix TFT Color LCDwith Shared HD 6520G Graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thank you all for your assistance. :love: 
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 9:22:52 AM

You could get i3's ith GT630ms or similar
they are not much higher in price
Like the DV6.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 12:57:47 AM

WR2 said:
For everything you mention, except games, a $400 notebook is probably adequate.
Acer Aspire TimelineX 14" notebook

Your requirements for gaming are very vague.
But for running MMORPGs which mostly favor speedy CPUs the slower clocked Llano APUs may not be the best choice. A fast dual core CPU might be a better choice over a slower dual module APU like the A6-3420M 1.5GHz.


WR2,

Your suggestion for an Acer was a good one. I checked out a 15.6" at Amazon and it was tempting! i5 with bluetooth even. Even tho I purchased a full warranty, am a chicken so decided to go with the Asus for the quality reputation.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 12:57:57 AM

Best answer selected by SuperKitty.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 1:00:03 AM

dreamslides said:
Even if you wanted performance I'd still buy the APU because what is lacks in processing power over some other Intel version more than makes up with graphics ability which YOU WILL EVENTUALLY NEED. Intel GMA is a joke now



Thank you and Pycho, I decided on an A6 Asus and am very satisfied with its performance. Played Runescape without a lag. Silly enough, the major delay issues are with Farmville--all those pop up windows & the farms have soooo much detail/items on them.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2012 9:51:38 AM

Good enough :) 
m
0
l
!