TELUS make a bid for Microcell

Yup, that's right. Say goodbye to CityFido, per second billing and
cheap US roaming rates. Maybe your GSM phone too.
7 answers Last reply
More about telus make microcell

    Lee wrote:

    > Yup, that's right. Say goodbye to CityFido, per second billing and
    > cheap US roaming rates. Maybe your GSM phone too.

    At first, I was hoping tyis was a hoax. But it isn't.

    One article I read about it did mention the different technologies, and a
    Telus response that it has been capable of operating 2 separate networks and
    it should be no different with Fido.

    Telus says it wants to grow in Québec.

    To me, it means Telus wants to remove its competition in its homeland. And
    just like Clearnet disapeared, we should expect Microcell to disapear. Big
    question is what Telus would do with all the GSM infrastructure. It could sell
    it off, like Sprint had done with its GSM network in Washington DC. Telus
    could then re-use bandwidth for its CDMA network.

    I somehow doubt Telus would convert its own network to GSM. (that would be
    great because it would leave Bell stranded in Canada with very little coverage
    in alberta/BC).

    The problem is that the banks (current shareholders) will love the idea of
    getting real cash in exchange for virtual microcell shares. So our only hope
    is that the government will block this transaction.

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:52:55 GMT, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >To me, it means Telus wants to remove its competition in its homeland. And
    >just like Clearnet disapeared, we should expect Microcell to disapear. Big
    >question is what Telus would do with all the GSM infrastructure. It could sell
    >it off, like Sprint had done with its GSM network in Washington DC. Telus
    >could then re-use bandwidth for its CDMA network.

    Yes, this is exactly what they want to do. Without Microcell to shake
    things up, they can raise prices and reduce service (in other words,
    what Telus does bast).

    I plan on contacting the CRTC and putting forward a submission that
    they should block any aquisition of Microcell by Telus as it would be
    a disservice to Canadian Cellular communication customers.

    might be a good time to take advantage of offers from other carriers to
    switch from fido... i very well might but this bid will probably take a few
    months to work its way through

    JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<52e24af1b0653cc9e883bf341ad75127@news.teranews.com>...
    > One article I read about it did mention the different technologies, and a
    > Telus response that it has been capable of operating 2 separate networks and
    > it should be no different with Fido.
    >
    > Telus says it wants to grow in Québec.
    >
    > To me, it means Telus wants to remove its competition in its homeland. And
    > just like Clearnet disapeared, we should expect Microcell to disapear. Big
    > question is what Telus would do with all the GSM infrastructure. It could sell
    > it off, like Sprint had done with its GSM network in Washington DC. Telus
    > could then re-use bandwidth for its CDMA network.
    >
    > I somehow doubt Telus would convert its own network to GSM. (that would be
    > great because it would leave Bell stranded in Canada with very little coverage
    > in alberta/BC).

    Is the Industry Canada spectrum cap still notched at 55 MHz? Or has
    IC matched the FCC in sunseting the cap entirely?

    If still the former, Telus Mobility would have little to gain
    spectrally from the acquisition of Microcell's (Fido) nationwide PCS A
    30 MHz license. Telus is already at or near the 55 MHz aggregated
    CMRS (Cellular/PCS/SMR) cap across most of Canada. At best, Telus
    would be able to retain perhaps a 5-10 MHz partition &/or
    disaggregation from the Microcell PCS A license. The outstanding
    20-25 MHz would have to be forfeited to IC for yet another PCS
    re-auction. And it would seem doubtful that Telus could even continue
    to operate Fido's GSM/GPRS 1900 network in such a paucity of spectrum.

    Andrew
    --
    Andrew Shepherd
    cinema@ku.edu

    In article <3m29a09sikv4f5vljkejtmbd28660o42o0@4ax.com>,
    Who Me <nobody@thisurl.com> wrote:

    > I plan on contacting the CRTC and putting forward a submission that
    > they should block any aquisition of Microcell by Telus as it would be
    > a disservice to Canadian Cellular communication customers.

    What's the most effective way to protest it?

    --
    Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
    "Morituri Nolumus Mori."

    "Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > In article <3m29a09sikv4f5vljkejtmbd28660o42o0@4ax.com>,
    > Who Me <nobody@thisurl.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I plan on contacting the CRTC and putting forward a submission that
    > > they should block any aquisition of Microcell by Telus as it would be
    > > a disservice to Canadian Cellular communication customers.
    >
    > What's the most effective way to protest it?

    I have already contacted the CRTC and they replied back that it was none of
    their business. I would say it was a waste of time, but I think we should
    bug the hell out of the CRTC anyway, as perhaps they will get so sick of it
    they will tell the media how many letters they have gotten.

    Jonathan wrote:
    > I have already contacted the CRTC and they replied back that it was none of
    > their business. I would say it was a waste of time, but I think we should
    > bug the hell out of the CRTC anyway, as perhaps they will get so sick of it
    > they will tell the media how many letters they have gotten.

    The CRTC is absolutely useless when it comes to complaints from the public.

    The issue, which should be brought to the attention of the Minister in charge
    fo the CRTC is that with mobile phone companies starting to compete against
    landline service, then the CRTC should definitely oversea mobile phone
    companies since the CRTC has a heavy hand in landline service.

    (This goes on at the same time as IP telephony is begging for government
    decision on whether they are phone companies or just glorified web sites.)
    (remember that to politicians, the internet is just web and email).

Fido Telus Internet Service Providers