Firewire DV transfer, resulting DV avi file capture and pl..

April 27, 2005 12:47:45 PM

Firewire DV transfer, resulting DV avi file capture and playback issue.

Camcorder works fine at work on an XP Pro SP2 desktop.

At home I have an XP Home SP2 laptop and an XP Pro SP2 desktop with
firewire. They used to capture just fine before SP2, but since it works at
the office with SP2, I don't think it's that.

When I capture, it recognizing the camacorder the same as at the office, an
"AVC Compliant DV Camcorder". I can control the camcorder just fine and the
live video and audio preview is fine as well. But even though I don't get
dropped frames, I noticed that at home, the timeline pauses every few
seconds or so. And when I try to playback the video the audio is slightly
choppy and the Video is a frozen garbbled mess that doesn't really change. I
always capture in standard NTSC DV AVI for editing and export to DV tape and
DVD.

I thought it was SP2, since I haven't used it since installing SP2. But it
works at the office with SP2 and it does capture and the live preview is
fine. It's just the resulting file seems messed up. I should probably try
bringing the resulting file here to work and see if it plays fine here at
work. Maybe it's just a playback issue and the file is actually just fine.

Any ideas until that test?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:54:20 PM

Do you have antivirus or other software running in real time?
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Tester" <tester@fcgi.com> wrote in message

> Firewire DV transfer, resulting DV avi file capture and playback issue.
>
> Camcorder works fine at work on an XP Pro SP2 desktop.
>
> At home I have an XP Home SP2 laptop and an XP Pro SP2 desktop with
> firewire. They used to capture just fine before SP2, but since it works at
> the office with SP2, I don't think it's that.
>
> When I capture, it recognizing the camacorder the same as at the office,
> an "AVC Compliant DV Camcorder". I can control the camcorder just fine and
> the live video and audio preview is fine as well. But even though I don't
> get dropped frames, I noticed that at home, the timeline pauses every few
> seconds or so. And when I try to playback the video the audio is slightly
> choppy and the Video is a frozen garbbled mess that doesn't really change.
> I always capture in standard NTSC DV AVI for editing and export to DV tape
> and DVD.
>
> I thought it was SP2, since I haven't used it since installing SP2. But it
> works at the office with SP2 and it does capture and the live preview is
> fine. It's just the resulting file seems messed up. I should probably try
> bringing the resulting file here to work and see if it plays fine here at
> work. Maybe it's just a playback issue and the file is actually just fine.
>
> Any ideas until that test?

April 27, 2005 4:18:26 PM

I have Norton AntiVirus, at work I have McAfee AntiVirus.

I have the same version of Norton AV as I did when it worked in SP1 on both
my home laptop and desktop. And it works perfectly fine at work.

I have no other realtime software that I didn't already have when it was
working. I have also already scanned for spyware, none found.

I defrag often. 200gig drive 1 (C: D:)  160gig drive 2 (E: F:)  120gig
firewire drive (G:)

hdspeed test always shows a very high 40-50Mb/s even when 2 drives in use.

DV firewire transfer only needs about 3.6 MB/s, and even if my 40-50MB/s HDD
rate skipped a beat, it would result in dropped frames, which I have
experienced before with background apps that have heavy HDD usage.

But I don't get any dropped frames and the live preview while capturing has
perfect picture and audio.

> Do you have antivirus or other software running in real time?
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "Tester" <tester@fcgi.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Firewire DV transfer, resulting DV avi file capture and playback issue.
>>
>> Camcorder works fine at work on an XP Pro SP2 desktop.
>>
>> At home I have an XP Home SP2 laptop and an XP Pro SP2 desktop with
>> firewire. They used to capture just fine before SP2, but since it works
>> at the office with SP2, I don't think it's that.
>>
>> When I capture, it recognizing the camacorder the same as at the office,
>> an "AVC Compliant DV Camcorder". I can control the camcorder just fine
>> and the live video and audio preview is fine as well. But even though I
>> don't get dropped frames, I noticed that at home, the timeline pauses
>> every few seconds or so. And when I try to playback the video the audio
>> is slightly choppy and the Video is a frozen garbbled mess that doesn't
>> really change. I always capture in standard NTSC DV AVI for editing and
>> export to DV tape and DVD.
>>
>> I thought it was SP2, since I haven't used it since installing SP2. But
>> it works at the office with SP2 and it does capture and the live preview
>> is fine. It's just the resulting file seems messed up. I should probably
>> try bringing the resulting file here to work and see if it plays fine
>> here at work. Maybe it's just a playback issue and the file is actually
>> just fine.
>>
>> Any ideas until that test?

Related resources
April 27, 2005 7:36:59 PM

Just as a reminder, I still have the issue. Live preview while capturing
looks and sounds great, but files seems to be corrupt when I try to play it
back. And this corupt file happens on both my home computers, but not at
work. Odd indeed.

>I have Norton AntiVirus, at work I have McAfee AntiVirus.
>
> I have the same version of Norton AV as I did when it worked in SP1 on
> both my home laptop and desktop. And it works perfectly fine at work.
>
> I have no other realtime software that I didn't already have when it was
> working. I have also already scanned for spyware, none found.
>
> I defrag often. 200gig drive 1 (C: D:)  160gig drive 2 (E: F:)  120gig
> firewire drive (G:)
>
> hdspeed test always shows a very high 40-50Mb/s even when 2 drives in use.
>
> DV firewire transfer only needs about 3.6 MB/s, and even if my 40-50MB/s
> HDD rate skipped a beat, it would result in dropped frames, which I have
> experienced before with background apps that have heavy HDD usage.
>
> But I don't get any dropped frames and the live preview while capturing
> has perfect picture and audio.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Do you have antivirus or other software running in real time?
>> --
>> Cari
>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>>
>> "Tester" <tester@fcgi.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Firewire DV transfer, resulting DV avi file capture and playback issue.
>>>
>>> Camcorder works fine at work on an XP Pro SP2 desktop.
>>>
>>> At home I have an XP Home SP2 laptop and an XP Pro SP2 desktop with
>>> firewire. They used to capture just fine before SP2, but since it works
>>> at the office with SP2, I don't think it's that.
>>>
>>> When I capture, it recognizing the camacorder the same as at the office,
>>> an "AVC Compliant DV Camcorder". I can control the camcorder just fine
>>> and the live video and audio preview is fine as well. But even though I
>>> don't get dropped frames, I noticed that at home, the timeline pauses
>>> every few seconds or so. And when I try to playback the video the audio
>>> is slightly choppy and the Video is a frozen garbbled mess that doesn't
>>> really change. I always capture in standard NTSC DV AVI for editing and
>>> export to DV tape and DVD.
>>>
>>> I thought it was SP2, since I haven't used it since installing SP2. But
>>> it works at the office with SP2 and it does capture and the live preview
>>> is fine. It's just the resulting file seems messed up. I should probably
>>> try bringing the resulting file here to work and see if it plays fine
>>> here at work. Maybe it's just a playback issue and the file is actually
>>> just fine.
>>>
>>> Any ideas until that test?

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 10:37:00 PM

Defrag the hard drive just before capture and see if anything changes.
--

> Just as a reminder, I still have the issue. Live preview while capturing
> looks and sounds great, but files seems to be corrupt when I try to play
> it back. And this corupt file happens on both my home computers, but not
> at work. Odd indeed.
>
> "Tester" <tester@fcgi.com> wrote in message
>>I have Norton AntiVirus, at work I have McAfee AntiVirus.
>>
>> I have the same version of Norton AV as I did when it worked in SP1 on
>> both my home laptop and desktop. And it works perfectly fine at work.
>>
>> I have no other realtime software that I didn't already have when it was
>> working. I have also already scanned for spyware, none found.
>>
>> I defrag often. 200gig drive 1 (C: D:)  160gig drive 2 (E: F:)  120gig
>> firewire drive (G:)
>>
>> hdspeed test always shows a very high 40-50Mb/s even when 2 drives in
>> use.
>>
>> DV firewire transfer only needs about 3.6 MB/s, and even if my 40-50MB/s
>> HDD rate skipped a beat, it would result in dropped frames, which I have
>> experienced before with background apps that have heavy HDD usage.
>>
>> But I don't get any dropped frames and the live preview while capturing
>> has perfect picture and audio.
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Do you have antivirus or other software running in real time?
>>> --
>>> Cari
>>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>>>
>>> "Tester" <tester@fcgi.com> wrote in message

May 12, 2005 12:11:45 PM

Well, wanted to post my findings. I saw an odd SCSI entry in my device
manager listing. Googled it and found it is part of Alcohol 120% burning
software package. So for kicks, I uninstalled it, rebooted, and now on my
desktop with SP2, my DV avi captures are no longer corrupted.

As an overview, My camcorder would be detected just fine, I can control it
fine and even the live capture preview video and audio was fine, but the
resulting avi file was always getting corrupted. Now with Alcohol 120%
uninstalled, the files capture fine.

Though I don't have Alcohol 120% on my SP2 laptop, so I am still trying to
figure out why it has the same exact issue on it.

Here is a download fix from Microsoft that helped some people, but had
nothing to do with my issue. But it's a good fix anyways because MS was lame
and slowed down the firewire port with SP2. Read it.

!