How to start MS AntiSpyware during STartup?

How do I set MS AntiSpyware (Beta 1) to run at startup?

I am running version 1.0.509.

Oh, I can put it in my Startup folder, but then the app launches and I have
to close it. Whereas I simply want it to be placed in the Notification Area
(by the PC clock) in the task bar.

I went to Options > Settings, then I clicked the icon for Real-time
Protection.

I then checked the option (check box) to "Enable the Microsoft AntiSpyware
Security Agents on startup." This looked like it would give me my desired
behavior, but surprisingly it does not.

As always, thank you in advance.

Michael

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

AntiSpyware forum:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

"Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> How do I set MS AntiSpyware (Beta 1) to run at startup?
>
> I am running version 1.0.509.
>
> Oh, I can put it in my Startup folder, but then the app launches and I
> have to close it. Whereas I simply want it to be placed in the
> Notification Area (by the PC clock) in the task bar.
>
> I went to Options > Settings, then I clicked the icon for Real-time
> Protection.
>
> I then checked the option (check box) to "Enable the Microsoft AntiSpyware
> Security Agents on startup." This looked like it would give me my desired
> behavior, but surprisingly it does not.
>
> As always, thank you in advance.
>
> Michael

"Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>How do I set MS AntiSpyware (Beta 1) to run at startup?
>
>I am running version 1.0.509.
>
>Oh, I can put it in my Startup folder, but then the app launches and I have
>to close it. Whereas I simply want it to be placed in the Notification Area
>(by the PC clock) in the task bar.
>
>I went to Options > Settings, then I clicked the icon for Real-time
>Protection.
>
>I then checked the option (check box) to "Enable the Microsoft AntiSpyware
>Security Agents on startup." This looked like it would give me my desired
>behavior, but surprisingly it does not.
>
>As always, thank you in advance.
>
>Michael

Launch the Antispyware program.
Select Options - Settings.
Click on the General Button in the left column.
Is the checkbox for "hide the Microsoft Antispyware icon in the System
Tray" option selected? If so then click on it to clear it then click
on the Save button in the bottom right corner.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

> Launch the Antispyware program.
> Select Options - Settings.
> Click on the General Button in the left column.
> Is the checkbox for "hide the Microsoft Antispyware icon in the System
> Tray" option selected? If so then click on it to clear it then click
> on the Save button in the bottom right corner.
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> Microsoft MVP

Thanks Ron, but I checked the setting you suggested and it is already
cleared.

But it does seem (from your post) that this functionality is available with
MSAS Beta1 (i.e. icon in Notification Area at Startup w/o launching this
app.)

"Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Launch the Antispyware program.
>> Select Options - Settings.
>> Click on the General Button in the left column.
>> Is the checkbox for "hide the Microsoft Antispyware icon in the System
>> Tray" option selected? If so then click on it to clear it then click
>> on the Save button in the bottom right corner.
>>
>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> Microsoft MVP
>

>Thanks Ron, but I checked the setting you suggested and it is already
>cleared.
>
>But it does seem (from your post) that this functionality is available with
>MSAS Beta1 (i.e. icon in Notification Area at Startup w/o launching this
>app.)

Yes. The MSAS app works properly for me on every system that I have
installed it on. And I have put on for a considerable number of my
customers without encountering the issue that you describe.

> Yes. The MSAS app works properly for me on every system that I have
> installed it on. And I have put on for a considerable number of my
> customers without encountering the issue that you describe.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP

I solved it.

As I have done with many other applications (e.g. Real Player and Zone
Alarm) I deleted the Registry entry so that it would not run at Startup.
However, unlike MSAS the next time I launched one of these apps the Registry
entry would be restored.

Since there was a time I did not want MS AntiSpyware to run at Startup, I
deleted the following:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"gcasServ"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft AntiSpyware\\gcasServ.exe\""

Apparently the 'easiest' way to restore this is to uninstall MSAS, then
reinstall it. Oh, there are ways to resurrect the icon in the Notification
Area without a reinstall. But you need to be a savvy user of both REGEDIT
and MSCONFIG. So a reinstall seems the best option for those who vary off
the "straight & narrow" as I regrettably did.

Michael