Set WinDVD as auto-play default (not on DVD drive)

I use a program to open .mpg files that are stored on a partioned drive of a
server. The program I use does not have an option to select a default
viewer. I tried setting the "auto-play" feature on the drive, but that
option is only available for a CD/DVD drive. Does anyone know how I can make
WinDVD the default for these files?

Any help will be appreciated...
Thanks!

Hi,

How to change file associations in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307859

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"jlt" <jlt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use a program to open .mpg files that are stored on a partioned drive of
> server. The program I use does not have an option to select a default
> viewer. I tried setting the "auto-play" feature on the drive, but that
> option is only available for a CD/DVD drive. Does anyone know how I can
> make
> WinDVD the default for these files?
>
> Any help will be appreciated...
> Thanks!

miker3x

Im trying to do the same thing in new vista 64 ultimate, on my 4 tb evga x58, intel i7 quad, 4 TB hdd, for my movies. I use the Win DVD 9 for blu ray and dvd fab platinum for burning only the MAIN MOVIE from blu ray movie discs, so I can serve them to my extenders. First I am getting rid of my DMA2200 from netgear it has a real problem in recieving formats from my vista home ultimate server computor. It does jpeg pics fine, but converting to formats it will see in high def, ive not figured out yet. I know this is the xp forum, but the question is here in xp forum, So, if anyone has any new suggestions, I do want to be able to send vob or ts to my extenders, So im only guessing what extenders I should replace the netgear with, but if I could keep this extender, I would like to know how to format easily, cause im not but a middle grade tech on the new extender gadgetry. I built this pc for dvd movies. And yet to have success finding to program to send Play lists and formatted movies to the extender. Yes, I saw the sun servers. NICE. But Thats a big expense. Smile.

miker3x

PS: Yes Auto Play does not want to give Win DVD 9 a default spot on the list, Tried it all there too. It does not give dvd fab platinum a spot on the Auto Play either. I tried that too.

cabbagewater

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I was able to set Media Player Classic to automatically play DVDs by selecting Windows Media Player as the default AutoPlay option, and then editing the registry key:

HKLM\Software\Classes\WMP.DVD\Shell\Play\command

"C:\Program Files\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe" d:\ /dvd /play

Restore your original config with:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:4 /device:DVD "%L"

Just replace Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe" d:\ /dvd /play with the path to Win DVD and include the options to start playing a DVD. You'll still see Windows Media Player listed in the AutoPlay window, but DVDs open automatically with the program you specify.