Just say "NO" to Telus, if they come 'a callin'

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 14, 2004 12:30:59 PM

If this takeover bid goes through, we fido customers will face the
prospect of getting new phones which may or may not match the quality
of the GSM fido phones we presently have. I shutter at my next
suggestion, which would be to unlock our GSM phones, and switch to
rogers. Let me first state, I am no fan of rogers, and their service.
However, with some high priced fido phones, we can get them unlocked
and then just go on the rogers system. Some of us have two or three
fido phones, due to the great deals fido has offered in the past. The
idea of losing fido as a provider stinks, and I hope the government
won't allow telus to let this offer go through. But, just in case it
does, and to keep our present GSM phones, the only route would be to
unlock them, and move over to (and I hold my nose when I say this) to
Rogers.

Telus may offer fido subscribers new phones, if we come aboard, but I
doubt the phones will match the higher priced fido phones we have
already. Or, if Telus does offer us free exchange on phones, the catch
will be to take a three year term offer to get a decent phone, or a
cheap phone trade in with a new subscription. So, keeping your fido
GSM phone can only be accomplished by having it unlocked, and
switching to Rogers.(again, holding my nose) I swore I'd never deal
with Rogers again. But, quite frankly, I think GSM is better than the
system Telus offers.

Either way, the whole idea of losing Fido as our main cell provider
stinks, and even though I know that's the nature of the business, it
still stinks. Many of us have been with fido from the beginnning, and
weathered the ups and downs of this upstart company who has really
lead the way from the moribund state of cell phone providers in the
past when fido was first launched. (clearnet was also an upstart, but
couldn't hang on)

Here's hoping Fido can keep the Telus sharks at bay, and continue on.

More about : telus callin

Anonymous
May 15, 2004 12:37:57 AM

Rogers has gotten MUCH better. Your best bet though would be to get a phone
with 1900/850. In fact lots of Fido phones already have both bands which is
a bonus. I would hate to see Fido go but Rogers is actually a really good
option these days. Good luck!

"lance" <lancejobline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If this takeover bid goes through, we fido customers will face the
> prospect of getting new phones which may or may not match the quality
> of the GSM fido phones we presently have. I shutter at my next
> suggestion, which would be to unlock our GSM phones, and switch to
> rogers. Let me first state, I am no fan of rogers, and their service.
> However, with some high priced fido phones, we can get them unlocked
> and then just go on the rogers system. Some of us have two or three
> fido phones, due to the great deals fido has offered in the past. The
> idea of losing fido as a provider stinks, and I hope the government
> won't allow telus to let this offer go through. But, just in case it
> does, and to keep our present GSM phones, the only route would be to
> unlock them, and move over to (and I hold my nose when I say this) to
> Rogers.
>
> Telus may offer fido subscribers new phones, if we come aboard, but I
> doubt the phones will match the higher priced fido phones we have
> already. Or, if Telus does offer us free exchange on phones, the catch
> will be to take a three year term offer to get a decent phone, or a
> cheap phone trade in with a new subscription. So, keeping your fido
> GSM phone can only be accomplished by having it unlocked, and
> switching to Rogers.(again, holding my nose) I swore I'd never deal
> with Rogers again. But, quite frankly, I think GSM is better than the
> system Telus offers.
>
> Either way, the whole idea of losing Fido as our main cell provider
> stinks, and even though I know that's the nature of the business, it
> still stinks. Many of us have been with fido from the beginnning, and
> weathered the ups and downs of this upstart company who has really
> lead the way from the moribund state of cell phone providers in the
> past when fido was first launched. (clearnet was also an upstart, but
> couldn't hang on)
>
> Here's hoping Fido can keep the Telus sharks at bay, and continue on.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 12:37:58 AM

Agreed. While I've only experienced their prepaid offering I've been very
impressed with their service. The coverage is great, in urban areas and
especially outside of urban areas (assuming you've got an 850 capable
model).

On prepaid they offer online account logging and access, a great feature,
something Fido should have done LONG ago.

I'm far from a fan of Rogers, and my dislike of them was the reason it took
me so long to switch, but so far I've had NOTHING bad to say about Rogers.

Fido on the other hand is getting more and more annoying, they call my house
at least once a day (because my prepaid account with them is about to
expire), they never say anything (I of course don't pick up) and they offer
no way to remove your number from their list. Very annoying.

If Fido does disappear I certainly won't be shedding a tear. 4 years ago I
probably would have, but today no longer. TTYL

"Tommy" <who@where.com> wrote in message news:F6apc.8693$j6.6573@edtnps84...
> Rogers has gotten MUCH better. Your best bet though would be to get a
phone
> with 1900/850. In fact lots of Fido phones already have both bands which
is
> a bonus. I would hate to see Fido go but Rogers is actually a really good
> option these days. Good luck!
>

> "lance" <lancejobline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If this takeover bid goes through, we fido customers will face the
> > prospect of getting new phones which may or may not match the quality
> > of the GSM fido phones we presently have. I shutter at my next
> > suggestion, which would be to unlock our GSM phones, and switch to
> > rogers. Let me first state, I am no fan of rogers, and their service.
> > However, with some high priced fido phones, we can get them unlocked
> > and then just go on the rogers system. Some of us have two or three
> > fido phones, due to the great deals fido has offered in the past. The
> > idea of losing fido as a provider stinks, and I hope the government
> > won't allow telus to let this offer go through. But, just in case it
> > does, and to keep our present GSM phones, the only route would be to
> > unlock them, and move over to (and I hold my nose when I say this) to
> > Rogers.
> >
> > Telus may offer fido subscribers new phones, if we come aboard, but I
> > doubt the phones will match the higher priced fido phones we have
> > already. Or, if Telus does offer us free exchange on phones, the catch
> > will be to take a three year term offer to get a decent phone, or a
> > cheap phone trade in with a new subscription. So, keeping your fido
> > GSM phone can only be accomplished by having it unlocked, and
> > switching to Rogers.(again, holding my nose) I swore I'd never deal
> > with Rogers again. But, quite frankly, I think GSM is better than the
> > system Telus offers.
> >
> > Either way, the whole idea of losing Fido as our main cell provider
> > stinks, and even though I know that's the nature of the business, it
> > still stinks. Many of us have been with fido from the beginnning, and
> > weathered the ups and downs of this upstart company who has really
> > lead the way from the moribund state of cell phone providers in the
> > past when fido was first launched. (clearnet was also an upstart, but
> > couldn't hang on)
> >
> > Here's hoping Fido can keep the Telus sharks at bay, and continue on.

May 15, 2004 2:20:55 AM

Fido bills by the second. The best way to get the most out of my 100 day
minuites, no one else does that.

What will telis do with FIDO's GSM towers?

"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > cheap phone trade in with a new subscription. So, keeping your fido
> > > GSM phone can only be accomplished by having it unlocked, and
> > > switching to Rogers.(again, holding my nose) I swore I'd never deal
> > > with Rogers again. But, quite frankly, I think GSM is better than the
> > > system Telus offers.
> > >
> > > Either way, the whole idea of losing Fido as our main cell provider
> > > stinks, and even though I know that's the nature of the business, it
> > > still stinks. Many of us have been with fido from the beginnning, and
> > > weathered the ups and downs of this upstart company who has really
> > > lead the way from the moribund state of cell phone providers in the
> > > past when fido was first launched. (clearnet was also an upstart, but
> > > couldn't hang on)
> > >
> > > Here's hoping Fido can keep the Telus sharks at bay, and continue on.

May 15, 2004 5:09:00 AM

Telus has not said that they plan to convert Fido customers to their
current network. If I can read between the lines, I think they are
proposing to operate the GSM network at the 2 or 2.5G standards. Beyond
that is anyones guess.

If this deal goes through, Canadian cellphone consumers will be hurt.
Even Telus, Bell and Rogers customers will suffer the decrease in
competition.

Given a choice between Rogers and Telus, I would encourage you to
consider CDMA. Telus may be arrogant but its network is far superior to
Rogers and if you have a problem, the Telus CSR is more likely to listen.

Brendan

lance wrote:
> If this takeover bid goes through, we fido customers will face the
> prospect of getting new phones which may or may not match the quality
> of the GSM fido phones we presently have. I shutter at my next
> suggestion, which would be to unlock our GSM phones, and switch to
> rogers. Let me first state, I am no fan of rogers, and their service.
> However, with some high priced fido phones, we can get them unlocked
> and then just go on the rogers system. Some of us have two or three
> fido phones, due to the great deals fido has offered in the past. The
> idea of losing fido as a provider stinks, and I hope the government
> won't allow telus to let this offer go through. But, just in case it
> does, and to keep our present GSM phones, the only route would be to
> unlock them, and move over to (and I hold my nose when I say this) to
> Rogers.
>
> Telus may offer fido subscribers new phones, if we come aboard, but I
> doubt the phones will match the higher priced fido phones we have
> already. Or, if Telus does offer us free exchange on phones, the catch
> will be to take a three year term offer to get a decent phone, or a
> cheap phone trade in with a new subscription. So, keeping your fido
> GSM phone can only be accomplished by having it unlocked, and
> switching to Rogers.(again, holding my nose) I swore I'd never deal
> with Rogers again. But, quite frankly, I think GSM is better than the
> system Telus offers.
>
> Either way, the whole idea of losing Fido as our main cell provider
> stinks, and even though I know that's the nature of the business, it
> still stinks. Many of us have been with fido from the beginnning, and
> weathered the ups and downs of this upstart company who has really
> lead the way from the moribund state of cell phone providers in the
> past when fido was first launched. (clearnet was also an upstart, but
> couldn't hang on)
>
> Here's hoping Fido can keep the Telus sharks at bay, and continue on.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 5:09:01 AM

In article <M4epc.453756$Pk3.319743@pd7tw1no>,
Brendan McCullough <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:
>Telus has not said that they plan to convert Fido customers to their
>current network. If I can read between the lines, I think they are
>proposing to operate the GSM network at the 2 or 2.5G standards. Beyond
>that is anyones guess.

The Telus CFO was interviewed on ROB-TV, when asked about the
different technologies of the two companies, he said that as customers
tend to get new handsets every two or three years, he expected that the
customers would convert over to CDMA over time. He didn't think that the
GSM vs. CDMA was a concern at all.

He also said that Telus does expect to lose some Fido customers.

There's speculation that there will be a bidding war, hence why
Microcell stock went up by almost 50% today. Quebecor has been mentioned.

Jeff
May 15, 2004 5:09:02 AM

"Jeff Bamford" <jbamford@EngineeringHarmonics.com> wrote in message
> In article <M4epc.453756$Pk3.319743@pd7tw1no>,
> Brendan McCullough <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:
> >Telus has not said that they plan to convert Fido customers to their
> >current network. If I can read between the lines, I think they are
> >proposing to operate the GSM network at the 2 or 2.5G standards. Beyond
> >that is anyones guess.
> >

> The Telus CFO was interviewed on ROB-TV, when asked about the
> different technologies of the two companies, he said that as customers
> tend to get new handsets every two or three years, he expected that the
> customers would convert over to CDMA over time. He didn't think that the
> GSM vs. CDMA was a concern at all.
>
> He also said that Telus does expect to lose some Fido customers.
>
> There's speculation that there will be a bidding war, hence why
> Microcell stock went up by almost 50% today. Quebecor has been mentioned.

The only palatable options would be for a NON telecom company to buy
Microcell, someone who had a vested interest in competition.

If Fido is bought by Telus that would be an end to low prices for EVERYONE,
not just Fido subscribers. Fido is the only think keeping prices reasonable.

The ONLY reason Telus wants Fido is so that they can jack prices up and hold
cell phone users hostage in the same way they hold their land line users
hostage.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 6:43:09 AM

On Fri, 14 May 2004 20:37:57 GMT, "Tommy" <who@where.com> wrote in

> Rogers has gotten MUCH better. Your best bet though would be to get a
> phone with 1900/850. In fact lots of Fido phones already have both
> bands which is a bonus. I would hate to see Fido go but Rogers is
> actually a really good option these days. Good luck!

Rogers has given me poor service and ignored me, threatened to send
my account to a collection agency on my final bill, and changed the length
of my contract without notification or approval. They even refused
to fix some problems because I bought the phone from a third party dealer
rather than from their store.

Not a chance they will see a $ of my cash ever again, regardless of
how wonderful they might have become.

Which is a real dilemma since Telus and Bell are not palatable
options either.

Fido has been rocky at times, but predictable and good value for
7 years. I suspect that would come to an end if Telus is successful.

My reaction might be to drop the cell phone completely.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 6:24:49 PM

On 14 May 2004 08:30:59 -0700, lance says...

> If this takeover bid goes through, we fido customers will face the
> prospect of getting new phones which may or may not match the quality
> of the GSM fido phones we presently have. I shutter at my next
> suggestion, which would be to unlock our GSM phones, and switch to
> rogers. Let me first state, I am no fan of rogers, and their service.
> However, with some high priced fido phones, we can get them unlocked
> and then just go on the rogers system. Some of us have two or three

I agree completely. Unless Telus converts its network to GSM
(something they should have done a long time ago) there's no
way I am going to stay with them, so Rogers would become an
only option. In any case, with less competition there are
going to be less and less options for the customer... :(
Even today the options are very limited especially if you
compare to the service you get in Europe. Honestly though
I hope the deal doesn't go through.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 6:24:50 PM

B.S. Taken directly from Telus web...

TELUS offers to acquire Microcell

TELUS Corporation today announced a bid to acquire all the assets of Microcell,
the Montreal-based operator of the Fido wireless network. The bid underscores
TELUS' strategic focus on growing its wireless, IP and data capabilities across
Canada, and will speed TELUS Mobility's expansion in the fast-growing Quebec and
Ontario markets.

A successful acquisition would benefit both Microcell clients - who would be
able to access TELUS Mobility's extensive national network, unsurpassed client
care and industry-leading wireless products - and Microcell shareholders, who
are being presented with an attractive all-cash offer.

For more information please read TELUS' press release.
>I agree completely. Unless Telus converts its network to GSM
>(something they should have done a long time ago) there's no
>way I am going to stay with them, so Rogers would become an
>only option. In any case, with less competition there are
>going to be less and less options for the customer... :(
>Even today the options are very limited especially if you
>compare to the service you get in Europe. Honestly though
>I hope the deal doesn't go through.
May 17, 2004 12:36:58 AM

Yes, they have. Overall, I would say for North America, Rogers is better. However, I do still prefer the overall network quality of Fido in the areas I have used my phone. I am also with Rogers and interchange my SIM card on my Siemens M55 unlocked and Motorola 720T. The network quality is better with my M55 on Fido. But, everyone's experience will vary.

Just one comment. When I joined Fido last year, I was very concerned what will happen with Fido. As time goes on, I see my concerns were validated. So sad, too bad for Fido.

"Tommy" <who@where.com> wrote in message news:F6apc.8693$j6.6573@edtnps84...
: Rogers has gotten MUCH better. Your best bet though would be to get a phone
: with 1900/850. In fact lots of Fido phones already have both bands which is
: a bonus. I would hate to see Fido go but Rogers is actually a really good
: option these days. Good luck!
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 1:45:44 AM

If you are so annoyed with Fido and don't want them to call you, why don't
you just cancel your account and keep your Rogers phone/account?

> [...]
> > > cheap phone trade in with a new subscription. So, keeping your fido
> > > GSM phone can only be accomplished by having it unlocked, and
> > > switching to Rogers.(again, holding my nose) I swore I'd never deal
> > > with Rogers again. But, quite frankly, I think GSM is better than the
> > > system Telus offers.
> > >
> > > Either way, the whole idea of losing Fido as our main cell provider
> > > stinks, and even though I know that's the nature of the business, it
> > > still stinks. Many of us have been with fido from the beginnning, and
> > > weathered the ups and downs of this upstart company who has really
> > > lead the way from the moribund state of cell phone providers in the
> > > past when fido was first launched. (clearnet was also an upstart, but
> > > couldn't hang on)
> > >
> > > Here's hoping Fido can keep the Telus sharks at bay, and continue on.

May 17, 2004 1:40:32 PM

Umm, because that's what I did???

FWIW the "latest" round from Fido is calls every single day from them,
begging me to come back. Sad really...

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in
message news:cPUpc.12479$PJ1.273585@wagner.videotron.net...
> If you are so annoyed with Fido and don't want them to call you, why don't
> you just cancel your account and keep your Rogers phone/account?
>

> "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Agreed. While I've only experienced their prepaid offering I've been
very
> > impressed with their service. The coverage is great, in urban areas and
> > especially outside of urban areas (assuming you've got an 850 capable
> > model).
> >
> > On prepaid they offer online account logging and access, a great
feature,
> > something Fido should have done LONG ago.
> >
> > I'm far from a fan of Rogers, and my dislike of them was the reason it
> took
> > me so long to switch, but so far I've had NOTHING bad to say about
Rogers.

> > Fido on the other hand is getting more and more annoying, they call my
> house
> > at least once a day (because my prepaid account with them is about to
> > expire), they never say anything (I of course don't pick up) and they
> offer
> > no way to remove your number from their list. Very annoying.
> >
> > If Fido does disappear I certainly won't be shedding a tear. 4 years ago
> > probably would have, but today no longer. TTYL
> >
> > "Tommy" <who@where.com> wrote in message
> > > Rogers has gotten MUCH better. Your best bet though would be to get a
> > phone
> > > with 1900/850. In fact lots of Fido phones already have both bands
> which
> > is
> > > a bonus. I would hate to see Fido go but Rogers is actually a really
> good
> > > option these days. Good luck!
> > >

> > > "lance" <lancejobline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
The

May 17, 2004 2:28:50 PM

You are a freak of nature. What's sad is that you have nothing better to do
but hang out here conplaining about a company you no longer have any
invlovement with.

> Umm, because that's what I did???
>
> FWIW the "latest" round from Fido is calls every single day from them,
> begging me to come back. Sad really...
>
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in
> message news:cPUpc.12479$PJ1.273585@wagner.videotron.net...
> > If you are so annoyed with Fido and don't want them to call you, why
don't
> > you just cancel your account and keep your Rogers phone/account?
> >

> > "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Agreed. While I've only experienced their prepaid offering I've been
> very
> > > impressed with their service. The coverage is great, in urban areas
and
> > > especially outside of urban areas (assuming you've got an 850 capable
> > > model).
> > >
> > > On prepaid they offer online account logging and access, a great
> feature,
> > > something Fido should have done LONG ago.
> > >
> > > I'm far from a fan of Rogers, and my dislike of them was the reason it
> > took
> > > me so long to switch, but so far I've had NOTHING bad to say about
> Rogers.
> > >
> > > Fido on the other hand is getting more and more annoying, they call my
> > house
> > > at least once a day (because my prepaid account with them is about to
> > > expire), they never say anything (I of course don't pick up) and they
> > offer
> > > no way to remove your number from their list. Very annoying.
> > >
> > > If Fido does disappear I certainly won't be shedding a tear. 4 years
ago
> > > probably would have, but today no longer. TTYL
> > >
> > > "Tommy" <who@where.com> wrote in message
> > > phone
> > which
> > > is
> > good

> quality
> service.
> The

> catch
> the

> and
> but

> on.

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 4:42:22 AM

Do you really think Telus will abandon the GSM network that Fido has worked
so hard to build?

When acquiring a company -- the parent company is paying for assets i.e. the
GSM network equipment and Fido's customers. Why on earth would they abandon
this?

I think Fido will in the medium term continue operating independently as
subsidary of Telus.

Stop freaking out people. The world is not over.

"lance" <lancejobline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If this takeover bid goes through, we fido customers will face the
> prospect of getting new phones which may or may not match the quality
> of the GSM fido phones we presently have. I shutter at my next
> suggestion, which would be to unlock our GSM phones, and switch to
> rogers. Let me first state, I am no fan of rogers, and their service.
> However, with some high priced fido phones, we can get them unlocked
> and then just go on the rogers system. Some of us have two or three
> fido phones, due to the great deals fido has offered in the past. The
> idea of losing fido as a provider stinks, and I hope the government
> won't allow telus to let this offer go through. But, just in case it
> does, and to keep our present GSM phones, the only route would be to
> unlock them, and move over to (and I hold my nose when I say this) to
> Rogers.
>
> Telus may offer fido subscribers new phones, if we come aboard, but I
> doubt the phones will match the higher priced fido phones we have
> already. Or, if Telus does offer us free exchange on phones, the catch
> will be to take a three year term offer to get a decent phone, or a
> cheap phone trade in with a new subscription. So, keeping your fido
> GSM phone can only be accomplished by having it unlocked, and
> switching to Rogers.(again, holding my nose) I swore I'd never deal
> with Rogers again. But, quite frankly, I think GSM is better than the
> system Telus offers.
>
> Either way, the whole idea of losing Fido as our main cell provider
> stinks, and even though I know that's the nature of the business, it
> still stinks. Many of us have been with fido from the beginnning, and
> weathered the ups and downs of this upstart company who has really
> lead the way from the moribund state of cell phone providers in the
> past when fido was first launched. (clearnet was also an upstart, but
> couldn't hang on)
>
> Here's hoping Fido can keep the Telus sharks at bay, and continue on.
May 18, 2004 4:42:23 AM

Maybe not but there will definitely be rate increases. The first to go would
be the per second billing. That would effectively more than double my bill
as 95% of my calls are 30 seconds or less. That one feature of FIDO is worth
more to me than anything else. I worked for Bell for three years and still
found FIDO much cheaper for me.

Testy

"monkey cow moon" <somebody@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:o Zcqc.3$Zxc.2@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> Do you really think Telus will abandon the GSM network that Fido has
worked
> so hard to build?
>
> When acquiring a company -- the parent company is paying for assets i.e.
the
> GSM network equipment and Fido's customers. Why on earth would they
abandon
> this?
>
> I think Fido will in the medium term continue operating independently as
> subsidary of Telus.
>
> Stop freaking out people. The world is not over.

---
May 18, 2004 4:42:23 AM

Telus could always sell the GSM infrastructure to another company. Many
companies buy other companies to get rid of the competition (which is what I
think Telus is doing).

I agree with you that part of what Telus is buying is Fido customers.
However, if they sell off the GSM infrastructure and force Fido customers to
go with their phone technology by offering some sort of inferior phone swap,
a lot of knowledgable customers will just switch to Rogers. There are
customers who will accept an inferior phone for their Fido phone (if it is
in fact inferior). I have an unlocked Treo 600 that I use with Fido
(cheapest price I see this phone for on ebay is in the neighbourhood of
$700CDN + shipping and I'm not interested in getting a cheap Telus phone
thru a swap). I would go with Rogers since they are GSM.

I don't want Fido to go out of business because Fido is one of the companies
that is breaking the rules (or trying to break the rules). Even if I
eventually go with another company because of my needs changing (using the
phone while driving between major urban centres, etc.), I would still not
want to see Fido disappear. Even if you aren't with them, you have to admire
them for offering low priced per second monthly packages and an "unlimited"
GPRS monthly plan... as well as CityFido to Vancouver.

"monkey cow moon" <somebody@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:o Zcqc.3$Zxc.2@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> Do you really think Telus will abandon the GSM network that Fido has
worked
> so hard to build?
>
> When acquiring a company -- the parent company is paying for assets i.e.
the
> GSM network equipment and Fido's customers. Why on earth would they
abandon
> this?
>
> I think Fido will in the medium term continue operating independently as
> subsidary of Telus.
>
> Stop freaking out people. The world is not over.
>

> "lance" <lancejobline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If this takeover bid goes through, we fido customers will face the
> > prospect of getting new phones which may or may not match the quality
> > of the GSM fido phones we presently have. I shutter at my next
> > suggestion, which would be to unlock our GSM phones, and switch to
> > rogers. Let me first state, I am no fan of rogers, and their service.
> > However, with some high priced fido phones, we can get them unlocked
> > and then just go on the rogers system. Some of us have two or three
> > fido phones, due to the great deals fido has offered in the past. The
> > idea of losing fido as a provider stinks, and I hope the government
> > won't allow telus to let this offer go through. But, just in case it
> > does, and to keep our present GSM phones, the only route would be to
> > unlock them, and move over to (and I hold my nose when I say this) to
> > Rogers.
> >
> > Telus may offer fido subscribers new phones, if we come aboard, but I
> > doubt the phones will match the higher priced fido phones we have
> > already. Or, if Telus does offer us free exchange on phones, the catch
> > will be to take a three year term offer to get a decent phone, or a
> > cheap phone trade in with a new subscription. So, keeping your fido
> > GSM phone can only be accomplished by having it unlocked, and
> > switching to Rogers.(again, holding my nose) I swore I'd never deal
> > with Rogers again. But, quite frankly, I think GSM is better than the
> > system Telus offers.
> >
> > Either way, the whole idea of losing Fido as our main cell provider
> > stinks, and even though I know that's the nature of the business, it
> > still stinks. Many of us have been with fido from the beginnning, and
> > weathered the ups and downs of this upstart company who has really
> > lead the way from the moribund state of cell phone providers in the
> > past when fido was first launched. (clearnet was also an upstart, but
> > couldn't hang on)
> >
> > Here's hoping Fido can keep the Telus sharks at bay, and continue on.

May 18, 2004 1:55:50 PM

"monkey cow moon" <somebody@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<OZcqc.3$Zxc.2@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> Do you really think Telus will abandon the GSM network that Fido has worked
> so hard to build?
>
> When acquiring a company -- the parent company is paying for assets i.e. the
> GSM network equipment and Fido's customers. Why on earth would they abandon
> this?
>
> I think Fido will in the medium term continue operating independently as
> subsidary of Telus.
>
> Stop freaking out people. The world is not over.

..... we'll see if Telus is that charitable about keeping fido
customers happy if they aquire the company. Companies such as Future
Shop were bought out by BestBuy, and were kept intact, so you are
correct in assuming that in the medium term, Telus might operate fido
as an independant subsidary of Telus. However, just as the spunky,
upstart "Clearnet" company became part of Telus big machine, and we as
consumers suffered from lack of imagination from Telus and their price
plans, I would assume that if Telus takes over fido, the spirit of the
upstart Fido company will vanish. They will be subject to new rules
and regulations(ie. per minute billing)(ie. no switching from plan to
plan without getting hit up for another fee) (ie. long term
contracts...yes, I know fido began using them, but longer term phone
plans aren't a major part of fido's overal strategy to retain
customers) So, no, I was not trying to "freak" people out. However,
when the last of the two upstart companies is swallowed up, in the
long term, the customer will be the loser. There will be less choice,
and less imagination shown in pricing plans. More bottom line profit
concern will the name of the game. As for Telus keeping GSM, I doubt
they want fido's network equipment for their own, and can easily see
off pieces of fido's equipment. Why did Telus pick this week to go
after fido's assets. We all know why, it was because fido was about to
launch city fido. Telus got nervous, and went on the attack. I admire
the spunky, upstart, fido spirit that hopefully will weather this
hostile takeover. I sooner be with a company that shows imagination
and forsight, then a company like Telus, who's only concern was the
bottom line and couldn't give a sweet care about what the consumer
wants.

> "lance" <lancejobline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If this takeover bid goes through, we fido customers will face the
> > prospect of getting new phones which may or may not match the quality
> > of the GSM fido phones we presently have. I shutter at my next
> > suggestion, which would be to unlock our GSM phones, and switch to
> > rogers. Let me first state, I am no fan of rogers, and their service.
> > However, with some high priced fido phones, we can get them unlocked
> > and then just go on the rogers system. Some of us have two or three
> > fido phones, due to the great deals fido has offered in the past. The
> > idea of losing fido as a provider stinks, and I hope the government
> > won't allow telus to let this offer go through. But, just in case it
> > does, and to keep our present GSM phones, the only route would be to
> > unlock them, and move over to (and I hold my nose when I say this) to
> > Rogers.
> >
> > Telus may offer fido subscribers new phones, if we come aboard, but I
> > doubt the phones will match the higher priced fido phones we have
> > already. Or, if Telus does offer us free exchange on phones, the catch
> > will be to take a three year term offer to get a decent phone, or a
> > cheap phone trade in with a new subscription. So, keeping your fido
> > GSM phone can only be accomplished by having it unlocked, and
> > switching to Rogers.(again, holding my nose) I swore I'd never deal
> > with Rogers again. But, quite frankly, I think GSM is better than the
> > system Telus offers.
> >
> > Either way, the whole idea of losing Fido as our main cell provider
> > stinks, and even though I know that's the nature of the business, it
> > still stinks. Many of us have been with fido from the beginnning, and
> > weathered the ups and downs of this upstart company who has really
> > lead the way from the moribund state of cell phone providers in the
> > past when fido was first launched. (clearnet was also an upstart, but
> > couldn't hang on)
> >
> > Here's hoping Fido can keep the Telus sharks at bay, and continue on.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:53:08 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:42:22 GMT, "monkey cow moon"
<somebody@yahoo.ca> wrote :

>Do you really think Telus will abandon the GSM network that Fido has worked
>so hard to build?

Yes. They can't realistically operate Analog (out west), CDMA, iDEN
and GSM networks all at once. Especially not within the spectrum cap
imposed by Industry Canada.

>When acquiring a company -- the parent company is paying for assets i.e. the
>GSM network equipment and Fido's customers. Why on earth would they abandon
>this?

They can simply resell the equipment to other (US) providers. They're
offering to pay a tiny fraction of what Microcell had to spend for the
infrastructure. They're not paying the real cost of it, a good deal of
which was written off in the reorganization last year anyway. They
already offer plans that more or less match those already offered by
Fido and they can easily offer new handsets to everyone who signs a
contract. They probably won't mind loosing those who don't want to
sign a contract and don't want to buy a new handset. Those are not
profitable customers anyway.

>I think Fido will in the medium term continue operating independently as
>subsidary of Telus.

In think that you're dreaming. The main reason behind the offer is to
get rid of a competitor, one that's already weak and that's
undermining the profitability of Telus in Vancouver (and now Toronto)
with CityFido.

>Stop freaking out people. The world is not over.

That much is true. It's only a cellular phone after all.

Stephan Patterson
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 5:15:39 AM

Jeff Bamford wrote:
> There's specvlation that there will be a bidding war, hence why
> Microcell stock went vp by almost 50% today. Qvebecor has been mentioned.

Qvébecor will rvin Microcell jvst like thevr rvined Videotron.
Qvébécor doesn't have the resovrces to expand the Fido network.

When they bovght Videotron (against a bid from Rogers), they promised to spend
money to make mvch needed infrastrvctvre improvements (Videotron is vnable to
carry all cvrrent channels). Instead of investing money, Pedalo took money
from Videotron to pay for its pvrchase, cvt left and right before he even had
an idea of what he had pvrchased and forced a very long and costly strike jvst
to prove he had gonads againts vnions.

Twice, he forced implementation of policies before the accovnting systems were
ready to handle the new reqvirements (download limits, and merged
cable/internet accovnts).

If the Caisse de Dépot wants to save Microcell, then it shovld do it by
itself, not force Qvébécor to take on yet another distration with which it has
absolvtely no experience.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 5:49:40 AM

monkey cow moon wrote:

> Do you really think Telus will abandon the GSM network that Fido has worked
> so hard to build?

What has Telus done to Mike lately ?

Do you really think Telus would expand Fido's network ?

They are going to make offers for Telus CDMA handsets to old Fido customers,
and no new handsets available to Fido customers. Within a couple of years,
all fido customers will have migrated to Telus.

Meanwhile. Telus can use some the Microcell head office/CO infrastructure, any
additional tower locations (converted to CDMA), and auction the remainder of
the equipment that can't be used on a CDMA network.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 2:23:56 AM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 01:15:39 GMT, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote :

>Québecor will ruin Microcell just like theur ruined Videotron.
>Québécor doesn't have the resources to expand the Fido network.

I think a Quebecor bid for Microcell is extremely unlikely. Péladeau
doesn't like loosing money and that's exactly what's going to happen
to whoever buys Microcell. The son Péladeau, like his father, is an
extremely bright businessman. He's managed to succeed following the
same business model that has failed AOL Time Warner and other giants.
I doubt that Microcell has the fundamentals to interest him, or most
anyone else. My guess is that there will be no competing bid for
Microcell and that the Telus bid will go through.

JF, are you on Howard Forums? Are you going to the Montreal meet this
Saturday, 7:30 at Carlos and Pepe's? We've exchanged so many messages
over the years, it would be nice to put a face on the name.

Stephan Patterson
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 7:28:16 PM

In article <MPG.1b102a7d1e9bbfbc989689@news2.istop.com>,
alien <no@spam.com> wrote:

> I agree completely. Unless Telus converts its network to GSM
> (something they should have done a long time ago) there's no
> way I am going to stay with them, so Rogers would become an
> only option. In any case, with less competition there are

Voice quality on Rogers was absolutely terrible when I last used them
(October 2003). Even though I hate Telus for other reasons, they have
much better voice quality than Rogers.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."

Stephan Patterson wrote:
> to whoever bvys Microcell. The son Péladeav, like his father, is an
> extremely bright bvsinessman.

Sorry, he is rvnnng is father's empire into the grovnd. The gvy may have
experience in printing, bvt he is clveless in telecom. He pvts higher priority
on breaking vp vnions than on ensvring cvstomers are happy. Satellite dishes
have been popping vp like crazy in montreal for a good reason: Pelado is
rvining Videotron with stvpid policies that affect cvstomer service.

> He's managed to svcceed following the
> same bvsiness model that has failed AOL Time Warner and other giants.

Yep, svccess so good he has begvn to shvt down printing plants in the USA. And
printing was the one area where peladeav the son had any experience in. He
overextended his reach big time when he was coerced into bvying Videotron. It
pvt a lot of financial strain dve to the fact that he overpaid for videotron
(jvst before the .com bvbble bvrst), and he also vnderestimated the skills
needed to rvn a telecom company.

The problem is that with the damage he has done to videotron, and with the
size of the qvébec economy, there is nobody to take videotron off Pelado's hands.

> I dovbt that Microcell has the fvndamentals to interest him, or most
> anyone else. My gvess is that there will be no competing bid for
> Microcell and that the Telvs bid will go throvgh.

Actvally, had Chagnon retained control of Videotron, I think that Microcell
and Videotron wovld have been a good match (recall that prior to Pedalo bvying
Videotron, videotron had a big stake in Microcell). Consider offering cable
for TV and internet, and Fido for "landline" service (City Fido).

Bvt in its cvrrent state, Videotron wovldn't know what to do with microcell.
!