Sign in with
Your question

What to do with a lot of cracked LCD/LED screens?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 8, 2012 1:19:57 AM

I work at a computer repair shop and over the past few years we've managed to collected hundreds of cracked LCD/LED screens. Most of these are from laptops and notebooks but a few are from all-in-ones and regular PC monitors. 90% of the screens have working backlights and functional PCBs.

My boss is convinced that either individually or as a lot, these screens are worth something to someone. We've tried selling them individually and in small lots on Ebay without much success, the price they get is seldom more than the cost to ship them.

Does anyone have any ideas for what could be done with them other than taking them in to be recycled?
a b D Laptop
July 8, 2012 1:23:05 AM

Pin them up against the wall and shoot them with airguns
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 8, 2012 1:57:27 AM

eblip said:
I work at a computer repair shop and over the past few years we've managed to collected hundreds of cracked LCD/LED screens. Most of these are from laptops and notebooks but a few are from all-in-ones and regular PC monitors. 90% of the screens have working backlights and functional PCBs.

My boss is convinced that either individually or as a lot, these screens are worth something to someone. We've tried selling them individually and in small lots on Ebay without much success, the price they get is seldom more than the cost to ship them.

Does anyone have any ideas for what could be done with them other than taking them in to be recycled?

Yeah, I can understand that, your boss wants to try to make something from nothing. Typical businessman mentality.
They are pretty much worthless though.
Take them to the recycle center, they will likely pay you enough to cover the gas to get them there, that is about it.
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2012 3:34:23 AM

Strip the backlights out and sell them as "System Pull: Backlight for #LAPTOP", I don't know. That is about the only (small) value in them. Haven't seen many newer laptop backlights die as often as say 4 years ago.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 8, 2012 7:25:07 AM

Worthless, take them to be recycled. Might be able to make a few dollars, depending on the recycling place - but at best that'll probably only cover gas to get there (as someone already mentioned).
m
l
July 8, 2012 7:39:20 AM

think how nice it would be to have a clean work environment.... LOL. I have a friend who runs a computer shop. he won't throw anything out either. Keeps getting deeper and deeper. suppose when he's dead the auctioneers will sell it off in lot bundles.
m
l
!