losing all the files after upgrading

hi. i just upgraded to windows xp. but before i upgraded, i was previously
using windows millenium edition. now after i finished upgrading, all of my
documents are gone! even my pictures on 'my pictures' folder and all software
that i downloaded! all of them are very important to me! my thesis, which ive
been researching for almost 3 years was in there and now it was gone like
that so fast!! i wanna restore them but how?? can you please help me? im
desperate!
2 answers Last reply
More about losing files upgrading

    Take the back up cd (or floppy) that you made of your ""Important Files",
    insert it in the computer and restore the "backed-up" files to their
    previous location..
    Easy as 1 2 3.....You did back up your "Important Files" DIDN'T YOU??
    P.S.
    If you didn't..............................too bad

    "JM" <JM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi. i just upgraded to windows xp. but before i upgraded, i was previously
    > using windows millenium edition. now after i finished upgrading, all of my
    > documents are gone! even my pictures on 'my pictures' folder and all
    > software
    > that i downloaded! all of them are very important to me! my thesis, which
    > ive
    > been researching for almost 3 years was in there and now it was gone like
    > that so fast!! i wanna restore them but how?? can you please help me? im
    > desperate!

    JM

    If you did UPGRADE, your files will be somewhere.. but to do an UPGRADE, you
    would have had to buy a retail upgrade or full XP (green or blue box,
    sealed).. if you bought an OEM XP CD (much cheaper), you didn't upgrade..
    OEM XP can only clean install..

    Rule #1.. ALWAYS back up your data, especially before making any major
    changes..

    You have one small chance, assuming that you have not added anything to the
    installation.. remove the drive from your system.. install it as a slave in
    another computer, and then run a file recovery program and see if any of the
    old files are recoverable.. do not hold your breath.. this is a small chance
    indeed.. make sure that the person doing this for you knows how to use the
    recovery program..

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "JM" <JM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi. i just upgraded to windows xp. but before i upgraded, i was previously
    > using windows millenium edition. now after i finished upgrading, all of my
    > documents are gone! even my pictures on 'my pictures' folder and all
    > software
    > that i downloaded! all of them are very important to me! my thesis, which
    > ive
    > been researching for almost 3 years was in there and now it was gone like
    > that so fast!! i wanna restore them but how?? can you please help me? im
    > desperate!

Windows XP