Making Original Replacement PCB's - Non-Jamma

Last response: in Video Games
April 14, 2005 10:13:43 AM

Instead of making 4 in 1's, 16 in 1's, etc... Is it possible to make
smaller boards with the same original pinouts as the classic pcb's? For
example....... Say you have a pacman, why not make a smaller more
reliable board with the same pinouts that is plug/play. It would make
life a lot easier for the hobbiest or the home owner. You could always
include pacman / ms pac and others on the same board. Is this
something that is possible? Plug -n- Play has always been the way to
go. Any thoughts on this?

John
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:29:44 PM

In my opinion that would be a good Idea but it will never happen. Here is a
reason why. copyright infringment. Patent rights ect.
You can not just go make "better" boards that the OEM did/does, not without
giving them there peice of the pie.

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Instead of making 4 in 1's, 16 in 1's, etc... Is it possible to make
> smaller boards with the same original pinouts as the classic pcb's? For
> example....... Say you have a pacman, why not make a smaller more
> reliable board with the same pinouts that is plug/play. It would make
> life a lot easier for the hobbiest or the home owner. You could always
> include pacman / ms pac and others on the same board. Is this
> something that is possible? Plug -n- Play has always been the way to
> go. Any thoughts on this?
>
> John

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:44:30 PM

I actually thought about making a "boot" of a "boot" at one time.
There are boots out there that emulate the originals using more compact
layouts and easier to source hardware.

The problem with a project like this is unless you're able to run
emulation (which isn't popular) than you're stuck with all the hardware
so you put as much as you can on an fgpa and when you're all done, your
board cost about as much as a working original.

A good example of a successful project is the Bally pinball "Mutha"
replacement boards which share the same mounting and pinouts as the
originals. Those are more feasible (or necessary) because so many
originals are acid damaged.

Mike Doyle
April 14, 2005 2:16:10 PM

Right answer... wrong reason.

The pinout has nothing to do with copyright infringement - the software
does.

But the real reason you won't see this happening is because the market is
much larger for jamma pinout boards. It's all about the kash.

However, I do think there would be a good market for reverse jamma
adatpers - jamma to pac, etc. - so that one of the new boards could be run
in an unmodified original cab.

-roy-

"Darren and Shelly Anderson" <darren@gondtc.com> wrote in message
> In my opinion that would be a good Idea but it will never happen. Here is
> reason why. copyright infringment. Patent rights ect.
> You can not just go make "better" boards that the OEM did/does, not
> without
> giving them there peice of the pie.
>
> "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Instead of making 4 in 1's, 16 in 1's, etc... Is it possible to make
>> smaller boards with the same original pinouts as the classic pcb's? For
>> example....... Say you have a pacman, why not make a smaller more
>> reliable board with the same pinouts that is plug/play. It would make
>> life a lot easier for the hobbiest or the home owner. You could always
>> include pacman / ms pac and others on the same board. Is this
>> something that is possible? Plug -n- Play has always been the way to
>> go. Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> John

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:24:45 PM

-Those are more feasible (or necessary) because so many
-originals are acid damaged

only if you don't want to fix what you have.... people are so quick to
buy a replacement when the original can be fixed if you have the
patience and talent to do it. I agree, that if you have to PAY someone
to fix it for you, it's usually not worth it.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:26:42 PM

seymour-sha...@excite.com wrote:
> -Those are more feasible (or necessary) because so many
> -originals are acid damaged
>
> only if you don't want to fix what you have.... people are so quick
> buy a replacement when the original can be fixed if you have the
> patience and talent to do it. I agree, that if you have to PAY
someone
> to fix it for you, it's usually not worth it.

Honestly..... Plug and play boards in original machines would be very
beneficial in my opinion. A lot of people own original boards right now
and they are pretty reliable. But, how much nicer would it be to have a
new repro board that would use the same pinouts. The MCR style games on
one single board would be freaking awsome. Here's a bunch of titles:
Budweiser Tapper, Tron, Discs of Tron, Spy Hunter, Satan's Hollow,
Wacko, Demolition Derby and probably more that I'm missing. I hope
someone could undertake such a task. I see Ms. Pac Jamma boards, why
not make these boards adaptable to be plug and play instead of putting
in switchers and jamma harnesses.

John
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:11:24 PM

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113484423.184199.215990
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Instead of making 4 in 1's, 16 in 1's, etc... Is it possible to make
> smaller boards with the same original pinouts as the classic pcb's?

I always wondered how difficult it would be to make a new Pac-Man board.
Or Space Invaders. Compared to their original counterparts, it should be
far smaller, I would think, and fairly cheap to make.

--
Do you want a free Gaming Console?
http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216

"matt" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in

> I think the Arcadeshop JAMMA board is an indicator as to how small the
> boards can made these days. Imagine if it only had to run one game and
> didnt have that big edge connector.

I'm unfamiliar with the board. Is it a repro, or is it like one of the
emulator boards with multiple games?

--
Do you want a free Gaming Console?
http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:38:30 PM

Peale <apeale69@hotmail.com> wrote:
: "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113484423.184199.215990
: @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
:
:>
:> Instead of making 4 in 1's, 16 in 1's, etc... Is it possible to make
:> smaller boards with the same original pinouts as the classic pcb's?
:
: I always wondered how difficult it would be to make a new Pac-Man board.
: Or Space Invaders. Compared to their original counterparts, it should be
: far smaller, I would think, and fairly cheap to make.

....but you'd be wrong.

First of all, forget doing any game with analog sounds,
like space invaders.

For other games, the FPGA arcade guys are doing about the best you're
going to see... For something like pacman, you still need the whole
dc regulator circuit if it's going to plug into the original harness.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

syncbus@gmail.com <syncbus@gmail.com> wrote:
: A good example of a successful project is the Bally pinball "Mutha"
: replacement boards which share the same mounting and pinouts as the
: originals. Those are more feasible (or necessary) because so many
: originals are acid damaged.

That's also a ridiculously simple board with very few components...

Asembly/test of any vid board would be a much bigger pain.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:30:35 PM

Baraka <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
: someone could undertake such a task. I see Ms. Pac Jamma boards, why
: not make these boards adaptable to be plug and play instead of putting
: in switchers and jamma harnesses.

BECAUSE THEY WOULD COST MORE.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:41:18 PM

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in

> ...but you'd be wrong.

I knew there was a reason I was keeping you around.

Okay, perhaps some minor redesigns to the circuit, then. But what do I
know...you're the EE.

--
Do you want a free Gaming Console?
http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:00:16 AM

Matt Mac Donagh <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote:
: You think they are emulators, huh?
:
: I think the boards from China or Japan are emulators but I really doubt that
: the Arcadeshop boards are.

Oh come on...

You're saying the 8-1 multiwms isn't an emulator?

7 6809-based games with similar archtecture... oh and let's toss in multiple
Z80 moon patrol with multiple AY-3-8910 sound chips... it's such a great
fit for original hardware.

....note also that it's the exact same board as the 9-1...

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:05:45 AM

The answer is simple. Jamma to original Pac, or Galaga wiring has been
done. If you read the arcadeshop parts list it has been done. The adaptors
are cheap enough. One good thing about the EMU Jamma boards is that they
have brought Pac and Galaga boards down to reasonable prices again. People
were starting to think they were rare. A pole position emu board will be
needed soon as the custom chip can't be replaced. Now if someone were to
make a strictly emu board with vector output that would be impressive. It
could be Jamma except for the video connectors to the monitor.

Michael
"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
> Baraka <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> : someone could undertake such a task. I see Ms. Pac Jamma boards, why
> : not make these boards adaptable to be plug and play instead of putting
> : in switchers and jamma harnesses.
>
> BECAUSE THEY WOULD COST MORE.
>
> --
> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:01:41 PM

I would have thought there would be a market for some of the harder to
source original PCB's. Perhaps some XY stuff (if that's possible),
and certainly a plugin replacement for Pole Position (and PP2).
Imagine how many dead PP's could be brought back to life. Also as
suggested the idea of a modern MCR set appeals too.

DanP
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:57:20 PM

Yes, but I happen to know of an unemployed redneck who doesn't mind
paying himself $5 an hour to assemble/test boards. :)

I'd like to do 1 of the discrete logic games that won't be emulated for
a very long time. More for the fun of it than anything else. It'd be
a jamma board so anyone could play it. I haven't really come up with a
candidate I like though. Seems like all of them have the double
resolution which wouldn't work on a color montitor, I don't think. Or
they require special controls.

I'd really like to do death race.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:01:09 AM

After writing up my own emulation of i8008 (ie: Space Invaders), I
thought it should be possible to repro generic PCB's for this class of
games. All the B&W games are literally the same architecture from the
CPU's perspective. All are the same resolution (32x8 x 224) Only
differences are the ROMs and the implementation of the I/O ports (which
are also the interface to the sound chips).

Make a main board that takes the ROM's and displays the B&W video,
along w/ a design for a generic daughterboard interface that could be
for the implementation-specific I/O ports and analog sound circuitry of
a particular game. Most games use ports 1-8, though one Space Invaders
clones has its ports in the 40's.

--Eric
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:38:10 PM

That's not a bad idea. A new jamma space invaders board would be kind
of neat since it's a pain to jammatize and they take up a lot of space
on my shelf. I could do the sound on plug in "carts"

I've never really looked at SI but I would guess the port numbers don't
matter, they probably mirror around.
April 18, 2005 1:17:18 AM

if you do a cart system for the sound, then you can have the game in there
as well!

!